8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
StickfordMariner
January 18, 2020, 8:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +366
Gold Stars: 12
Huge improvement on the last few games I have seen myself I thought the back 4 was immense. Öhman needs a shout out I think been out for so long yet I thought he was class deft headers mixed with bullet headers we do have a great back 4 an the fact Macca was going for the short quick throws shows that Ollie wants us playing football from the back, also impressed me how good with the ball pollock is played some great passes. Clarke does look like that player he would run through a brick wall of needs be as well!! All in all it looked the part without that goal!!! Looking forward to going back yet again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
January 18, 2020, 8:27pm
Guest User
deserved a draw at least, we had the chances and once again didnt take them.Hopefully Ollie can sort it when injured players fit. I think Ollie wants Macca to roll/throw the ball out  because his kicking is so poor, and has been for a long time. IMHO the captain has got to be an outfield player. All in all its improving.
Reply: 21 - 74
HertsGTFC
January 18, 2020, 9:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Looks like “football” might be coming back to BP as at times today I thought we played some decent stuff and you could see what Town where trying to do.

It will take time especially after the style of play Jolley advocated but some of the things the lads did today like when trying to switch play brought some long overdue intelligence to their game. They also did the simple things much better and that is a promising foundation.

Good side Exeter, comfortable on the ball composed and after scoring did a really good job on us for the last 20 minutes. To deal with their 3-5-2 we possibly needed just a bit more zip and tempo but we’re clearly in a period of transition but it will come.

Felt sorry for Clifton for their goal but he had a good game again and will begin to fulfil his potential if IH sticks with him in that role. Also thought Whitehouse looked much better today too.

Thought the defence was decent today and on that showing I’d be surprised if IH changed it when Waterfall becomes available.

Clarke even towards the back end of his career looks like a player and Glennon in his 2nd senior game looked really assured.

So plenty of positives and more importantly a few valuable learnings.

Yeah we lost today but look at where this club was on and off the pitch 6 weeks, stay behind the lads and who knows what could be achieved?

UTMM

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
LH
January 18, 2020, 9:22pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Clarke MOTM for me, looks a good addition. A lot to like about that performance today despite the result. How good is it to go home optimistic after a defeat?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
Northbank Mariner
January 18, 2020, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from LH
Clarke MOTM for me, looks a good addition. A lot to like about that performance today despite the result. How good is it to go home optimistic after a defeat?

And we need to cling to that...next step is to get BP bouncing again..great to see most people applauding the lads off the pitch at full time...can see next season being something special, I really can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2020, 9:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s really enjoyable to read all this positive stuff on a Saturday despite losing. Hopefully the extra 2000 have seen enough to stay with it.

Crawley tickets ordered. A few weeks ago we were definitely thinking, ‘not sure if I can be bothered’ and it’s less than an hour down the road. Now it’s ‘roll on Saturday’.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
HertsGTFC
January 18, 2020, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It’s really enjoyable to read all this positive stuff on a Saturday despite losing. Hopefully the extra 2000 have seen enough to stay with it.

Crawley tickets ordered. A few weeks ago we were definitely thinking, ‘not sure if I can be bothered’ and it’s less than an hour down the road. Now it’s ‘roll on Saturday’.  

Gutted that the trains are scuppered as it looks like a driving game and this means no beer 🤬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2020, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Gutted that the trains are scuppered as it looks like a driving game and this means no beer 🤬

😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 18, 2020, 11:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Mostly a very positive performance and firstly congrats to the defence who again looked composed, organised and gave away very few chances which considering we didn’t have what are regarded as our first choice centre backs, a new and young left back and a right back with an Achilles problem is some achievement. On the centre backs not sure now what our best pairing is and agree Pollock will bring in some Wonga at some stage in the not too distant future.

Whilst we are improving going forward this is the area that still needs addressing hence the arrival of the new players who aside from Clarke didn’t really get going today. What we need from these guys is composure. In the first ten minutes we had a great break with 4 on 2 or maybe 3 but Hess delayed his pass to Wright, the return ball was played too quickly and behind Hess with Vernam and Clarke in space at the far post, these are attacking opportunities we need to create clear chances and put them away. We have had similar situations throughout the season but lack the composure to pick the right pass at the right time to make the most of them.

After Salford gameI commented negatively on Clifton’s ability to see a pass, well those two balls out to Wright in the first half contradicted that and thought, despite the slip he had a very good game. Think the midfield played ok today but thought we missed the Robson of his last few games with his strong tackling and deft left foot which gave us a better balance.

Still this is just the start of the journey and we will not have a clear and uninterrupted journey but pretty sure the majority of it will be enjoyable even though we are not sure where and when we will reach our destination 😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
The Yard Dog
January 19, 2020, 12:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
This season is working progress, IH is already putting in the foundation work, as IH wants everything in place, ready for next seasons pre-season.

I for one, enjoyed today's game, a bit more composer in front of goal and we might have won the game. The signs are encouraging, the subs, did not have the impacted IH hoped for and acknowledge that fact in his interview.

IH will have next week to have look at everyone on the training ground, as last week he was running around the country, finding suitable replacements for the loanees, who returned to their clubs last week.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.