Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He just gets it doesn't he...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 95 Guests

He just gets it doesn't he...

This thread currently has 8,596 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 17, 2020, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Interesting to me that the consistent comment IH makes is about the quality of the players attitude and the strength of the defence. Not sure I have heard many positive comments on the relative technical and playing quality of our midfield and forwards.

Think this is the reason that 3 new forwards have been brought in and I would expect at least one more to join them in January. He clearly is a great motivator and will be telling all the players of the heights they can achieve but at the same time he is also looking for better quality replacements which is ideal as players will understand perform, improve and deliver or else!!

As for MJ yes he got 100% out of players but I haven’t doubted the commitment of most of our players under any of our Managers for quite some time. What has been lacking is a total lack of ability as an attacking force, with the odd exception, and a total inability to win and control the midfield area of the pitch. In reality how many enjoyable performances did we have during MJ’s tenure? Very few but I will always remember the Notts County game and Matt’s injury time winner so for that MJ can be proud of his achievement but unfortunately he has been unable to take us forward and like Hurst spent too much time worrying about the opposition rather than getting a team together that other sides needed to dread playing.

Let’s hope tomorrow we can start to see the shoots of a new positive playing style which will over the next couple of seasons see us at the top end of the table.

Short memory....do you think the players gave everything for Bignot, Slade ?? Even when Limbrick took over there seemed a clear upping in effort from the players in relation to the previous few games of Jolley.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
aldi_01
January 17, 2020, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Jolley got a 100% out of the players? People think that? Baffling.

That really didn’t happen, it may have happened on occasion but clearly something went amiss which stopped that.

Jolley was Bignot in a better suit. He did a job keeping us up but much like the overall leadership of the club, he was lacking somewhat in whatever it was we needed.

Time will tell if Holloway works. If it does go sour it will only reinforce the fact the club is bollocksed. In some ways, it could force Honest John’s hand and give us some forward momentum but to be honest, if the Holloway thing fails it really will be curtains for Fenty.

But again, people have their right to moan. Is it worth it? Probably not but it’s been around forever and with prices increasing I guess people expect more for their cash...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
Fishbone
January 17, 2020, 8:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
I hope the feel good factor doesn't dissolve on our first poor result, should it happen tomorrow. We are playing a high flying team after all. I hope people can keep their eyes, hopes and minds on the longer term direction our new gaffer is aiming for. Keep positive all and enjoy the buzz that's been missing for quite some time. UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
ginnywings
January 17, 2020, 8:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Thing is, we haven't been good enough on the pitch to become that home fortress of old. Only when you have a formidable home record do the team and the fans work in unison to frighten the opposition. For too long we have sat there waiting for the away team to get on top, then taking out our frustration on the players when it inevitably happens.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Posh Harry
January 17, 2020, 11:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from aldi_01
Jolley got a 100% out of the players? People think that? Baffling.

That really didn’t happen, it may have happened on occasion but clearly something went amiss which stopped that.

Jolley was Bignot in a better suit. He did a job keeping us up but much like the overall leadership of the club, he was lacking somewhat in whatever it was we needed.

Time will tell if Holloway works. If it does go sour it will only reinforce the fact the club is bollocksed. In some ways, it could force Honest John’s hand and give us some forward momentum but to be honest, if the Holloway thing fails it really will be curtains for Fenty.

But again, people have their right to moan. Is it worth it? Probably not but it’s been around forever and with prices increasing I guess people expect more for their cash...

You have probably seen more games than me but from my experience, I never doubted that the players gave 100% when out on the pitch with Jolley in charge. Maybe the tactics were sometimes not right etc etc but I always saw 100%.

As for the comment about Jolley being Bignot in a better suit, sorry but horsesh8t. All about opinions, but that is horsesh8t.

Imho

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
TonySmith
January 18, 2020, 12:50am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
   I first went to Blundell Park in the early 70's and even back then there were a few "supporters" with really loud voices who would yell abuse at our own players when they made mistakes. I have never understood what they think that achieves. Do they think it makes our players try harder or play better? I would imagine the effect is usually the exact opposite of that. So they are actually helping the other team.
   I've always assumed it's just a few individuals with crappy lives who are yelling at someone who can't fight back to vent their frustrations about their own miserable existence. Still, all teams have their fair share, I imagine, and they probably don't have much to look forward to when they get home, bless them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
aldi_01
January 18, 2020, 7:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The 100% thing is a debate anyway really, I guess some do give 100% but some of those in our squad that have given 100% have still underperformed...but as mentioned, that could be tactical influence from a manager who was exposed to be out of his depth.

The Bignot thing is all about opinions...I can’t see a difference between them. Both equally proved to be out of their depth, although it poses more questions about the man picking then I guess...

Cry arsing over fans moaning is a waste of time though, it’ll always happen so the best thing for folk to do is ignore it or out shout them. You have to remember though, even if people moan and shout, fundamentally everyone wants the same thing...town to win. People just have different ways of showing it...doesn’t always make everyone wrong or right.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He just gets it doesn't he...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.