Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League ...the disease
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 399 Guests

Premier League ...the disease

This thread currently has 4,161 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 14, 2020, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
I see Everton have posted losses of £111m for the last period of 13 months.....and spent a whopping 85% of income on wages.....while I don't mind Everton blowing some rich owners money I find it absolutely galling that the Premier League won't even blink because their rules deem it ok that a club is allowed to lose £100m+ in a three year period...and Everton just scrape under as they made money in the initial year of this period.
All that money and they are still less than ordinary, i would imagine that if you take into account the initial income they receive from PL they must have blown circa £250m just to be that ordinary.
The whole League is a fking disease infecting clubs with financial addiction.

Fking obscene.

Rant over. 🤐

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
January 14, 2020, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
The Premier League is the epitome of a capitalist organisation, not a sporting body in the strictest sense. It's in their interest to allow clubs to spend whatever they like; it's that which allows the league to attract the world's best talent and to subsequently reap the financial rewards of the of the global interest that talent attracts.

The clubs are mostly underwritten by phenominally rich owners, but even if one club were to go pop, along would come another one to replace them and everyone (with the exception of that club's fans) would happily move on. In reality, a club in that kind of financial trouble would probably have found itself floundering in the football league (see: Wanderers, Bolton) by that time so it wouldn't even be their problem anyway.

Sad but true.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Rik e B
January 14, 2020, 9:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
What an abomination.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Theimperialcoroner
January 14, 2020, 11:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
How would you feel if Town did a Bournemouth? Rich owner, etc

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
AussieMariner
January 14, 2020, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
How would you feel if Town did a Bournemouth? Rich owner, etc

Honestly - I’d lose interest

For me the one value that sets clubs like ours apart, and makes them worth supporting through bad times as well as good, is authenticity

Clubs that are funded by rich owners are fake

Clubs like ours that are funded by the genuine fans, value their integrity, and represent the local community, are authentic
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
HistonMariner
January 15, 2020, 5:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +533
Gold Stars: 12
We have a Real Football Club supported by Real Football Fans (overwhelmingly)

The Premier Theatre, has lots of real fans, it also has a lot of football tourists (who don’t know why we despise half and half scarves. Who would wear a GTFC-Lincoln , a GTFC-Scunthorpe or a GTFC-Hull scarf ?) and hanger-ons (who want to be associated with success and only consider the top brands).  I hate it when Sky cameras scan stadiums before a televised game to show obvious visitors taking selfies of themselves to show their friends that they’ve been to a Premier Theatre.

The broad based pyramid that produced the best football structure in the world is slowly (or presently not so slowly) destroying clubs at a rate never seen before.  Gregor Robertson, I think wrote somewhere about 18 months ago that around a dozen and a half clubs were on the verge of imploding - since then we have had Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield, Notts County, Chesterfield etc.

Whatever has happened, for better or worse, as I understand it The Mighty Mariners will be here to fight another day - I appreciate its not great fighting with one hand tied behind your back but fight again we will.

Whether there is a parallel with local produce v mass produced, with CAMRA (Campaign For Real ALE) I don’t know, but what we should be a part of (if not the leaders of) is a Campaign For Real Football.

I genuinely wonder how I would feel if we ended up in The Premier League with gates of 10,000 but it would certainly be a ride I fancy a go on.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
lukeo
January 15, 2020, 6:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
It's strange. I'd be more excited and want tk to be in the Championship more so than the Prem. I'd hate to see us score then atand around for a few minutes for some twit sat with a computer screen to find any way possible to cancel the goal off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
It Bites
January 15, 2020, 7:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +5 / -8
Approval: +1,967
Gold Stars: 238
And now they have VAR controlling the decisions . If Var was ever rolled out the the EFL I would seek my football fix lower down the pyramid. I suspect the championship will follow in the next 2/3 years but there isn’t enough money in lg1 and lg2 for the powers to be interested . Where the is huge money there is and always will be someone wanting to control it imo
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
aldi_01
January 15, 2020, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s all well and good having a negative view of the top flight but what about fans of clubs who don’t know any different, what about ‘real’ fans who’ve been there before rich owners.

Town fans say they’d lose interest if we flew up there with a rich owner but that’s balderdash, as a footballs we want our team to win, to compete with the best and be the best we can be. There’s no way anyone can say they’d love it or hate it.

The premier league is what it is, I don’t really care either way, although for 20 years now people have been saying at some point it’ll go bust...we’re still waiting.

Fact is, the one club that came close was bailed out and supported to some extent, yes we all know that was done to protect the brand and the league but they still did it, whereas the EFL who are desperate to compete with the top flight have urine weak rules and regulations and are so inconsistent in their application of them.

The premier league is the ultimate capitalist venture although it still lags behind some of the othe big sporting brands like F1 and NFL (one thing the premier league has done rightly or wrongly is seen their viewing figures increase unlike NFL which has been through a rough spell by their standards).

We have to realise it isn’t going anywhere and it won’t change. Clubs like Everton will continue to post losses, clubs like Bournemouth will forever be lauded up by unaware, ignorant pundits like they’re a small club done good, ignoring the billionaire owner but in defence of the premier league...they created the brand and the league...the clubs started falling over themselves to be part of it.

We’re a million miles away and that’s fine by me. I’m more concerned about the man at the top of my club than other clubs at the very top continually over spending and living in cloud cuckoo.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
aldi_01
January 15, 2020, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Interesting that whilst many continually chastise the premier league other issues seemingly get forgotten...I notice there’s in investigation in to the governance of the PFA taking place.

I’ve thought, rather cynically, for a while that VAR is doing a cracking job of deflecting attention away from the real issues within the game. Huge issues around crooked or unfit owners, still rising increases of racism etc. (This may also imply that people are more likely to report it or we’re better at catching folk. This has certainly been proven with sexual offending, aptitude of those investigating has increased rather than the actual numbers of perps). We’ve seen clubs in the EFL fall apart and disappear, unregulated agents, continual over spending and failure to meet tax burdens etc.

Meanwhile everyone is just getting their knickers in a twist over VAR...it’s the least of our worries.

Much like the top flight, does a great job of masking those real concerns...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Premier League ...the disease

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.