This thread currently has 4,045 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
January 14, 2020, 1:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Seen the earlier thread, about the dearth of standing areas at grounds now, and I suddenly had a waive of nostalgia for the old terracing, epecially away from home - although the Pontoon was pretty special too before the seating went in.

Favourite away terraces from days of yore include

Brentford 1971-2, when we were on LTV, and there were probably a couple of thousand Town fans there. It was going off big style throughout the game as Brentford's mod was swelled with others from across London.

Scunny at the Old Show Ground. Echoed brilliantly in there, especially as it was nearly always full when we went.

Wolves in the League Cup quarter final replay. Amazing night out, nearly in the League Cup semi final.

Cambridge United in 1971-2 their first full league season. Boxing day and we created their record crowd at the time.

Hull City at Boothferry Park. The ferry across, the train pulling up outside the stand, and usually well packed of Town fans enjoying the whole day out.

Middlesborough 1988-89 FAC. What an amazing day out, beating Bryan Robson's team, then fifth in the old First Division while we languished at the wrong end of the fourth. Never forget some of their more intellectually challenged fans trying to get past the police alsatians in non mans land between the two sets of fans.

Wimbledon 1988-89 FAC. Harry Haddock day. No further explanation needed.

Stoke City 1991-92. Town travelled in their thousands to the old Victoria Ground. Pitch invasion at the end of the game, police nowhere to be seen until they were all on it. Result virtually guaranteed us promotion.

Rotherham in the 70s.

Barnsley in the 70s, especially 1978-9 when we had one of the biggest followings I've ever been in for a league match.

Coventry 1971-2 FAC. Some 20,000 fans travelling to the old Highfield Road ground. Unbelievable atmosphere.

Liverpool 1978-9 FAC, again another 20,000 odd fans travelling. I maintain this will probably be the largest away following ever seen at Anfield, as their big league games would have had restrictions on away fans. No restrictions on Town fans that day.

Rochdale....for all the wrong reasons. The only time in my life I ever got arrested. Got a good beating behind the stand by three Old Bill who were keen to let me know they didn't like folk from Grimsby. Got off with it in court though as his case was taken apart by my solicitor. There was only 900 odd at the game as well!

Memories. You can't beat them.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
January 14, 2020, 1:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from jock dock tower
Seen the earlier thread, about the dearth of standing areas at grounds now, and I suddenly had a waive of nostalgia for the old terracing, epecially away from home - although the Pontoon was pretty special too before the seating went in.

Favourite away terraces from days of yore include

Brentford 1971-2, when we were on LTV, and there were probably a couple of thousand Town fans there. It was going off big style throughout the game as Brentford's mod was swelled with others from across London.

Scunny at the Old Show Ground. Echoed brilliantly in there, especially as it was nearly always full when we went.

Wolves in the League Cup quarter final replay. Amazing night out, nearly in the League Cup semi final.

Cambridge United in 1971-2 their first full league season. Boxing day and we created their record crowd at the time.

Hull City at Boothferry Park. The ferry across, the train pulling up outside the stand, and usually well packed of Town fans enjoying the whole day out.

Middlesborough 1988-89 FAC. What an amazing day out, beating Bryan Robson's team, then fifth in the old First Division while we languished at the wrong end of the fourth. Never forget some of their more intellectually challenged fans trying to get past the police alsatians in non mans land between the two sets of fans.

Wimbledon 1988-89 FAC. Harry Haddock day. No further explanation needed.

Stoke City 1991-92. Town travelled in their thousands to the old Victoria Ground. Pitch invasion at the end of the game, police nowhere to be seen until they were all on it. Result virtually guaranteed us promotion.

Rotherham in the 70s.

Barnsley in the 70s, especially 1978-9 when we had one of the biggest followings I've ever been in for a league match.

Coventry 1971-2 FAC. Some 20,000 fans travelling to the old Highfield Road ground. Unbelievable atmosphere.

Liverpool 1978-9 FAC, again another 20,000 odd fans travelling. I maintain this will probably be the largest away following ever seen at Anfield, as their big league games would have had restrictions on away fans. No restrictions on Town fans that day.

Rochdale....for all the wrong reasons. The only time in my life I ever got arrested. Got a good beating behind the stand by three Old Bill who were keen to let me know they didn't like folk from Grimsby. Got off with it in court though as his case was taken apart by my solicitor. There was only 900 odd at the game as well!

Memories. You can't beat them.

Bryan Robson didn't go to Middlesbrough until 1994 after he left United. Bruce Rioch was Middlesbrough manager back then (1986-1990). And they were 13th at the time we beat them [url=https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-one/07-january-1989/]Click Here[/url].
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 29
Les Brechin
January 14, 2020, 1:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Sunderlands Roker Park was decent too and although before my time I understand Charlton's The Valley used to hold the highest capacity of any English ground, so I'm sure their's was decent as well.

Elm Park Reading was great in the FA Cup replay before Wimbledon too.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Rik e B
January 14, 2020, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
One good think about the conference was some of the quaint old grounds with terracing behind the goal 👌
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Garth
January 14, 2020, 4:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Beg to differ regarding Bruce Rioch at Middlesbrough,
It was another scot manager who's name escapes me, but he was sacked immediately after we beat them there comfortable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
marinerdazza
January 14, 2020, 4:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
It was definitely Bruce Rioch.

*winces at the mention of the Victoria Ground 91 game*
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Les Brechin
January 14, 2020, 4:30pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from marinerdazza
It was definitely Bruce Rioch.

*winces at the mention of the Victoria Ground 91 game*

Yeah, Rioch was definitely Middlebrough manager when we beat them in the FA Cup in1989.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Abdul19
January 14, 2020, 4:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bryan Robson didn't go to Middlesbrough until 1994 after he left United.

GTFC missed a trick with Brian Laws a few months later

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBfeAvaWcAEkfnG.jpg[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 14, 2020, 4:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Think Jock forgot Doncaster away at the end of the 71/72 promotion season, massive town following a 2-1 defeat and a full on brick attack inside the ground. Have to say followers of any club in those days had some pretty tough away days where the colour of your trousers was likely to change every time you went round a street corner!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
grimps
January 14, 2020, 5:01pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Wolves , Burnley and Birmingham would have been the biggest terraces I ever stood on watching Town .
The Holt end and Villa was the best I ever saw although obviously watching town there we never got the chance to stand on it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Old away end terraces

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.