Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 209 Guests

Just back...

This thread currently has 12,939 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
January 12, 2020, 6:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Gtfc8279

Cos they gave him too much space ALL game

I agree, for me Hendrie had a nightmare. He lacks pace and is completely left for dead on a number of ocassions.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
livosnose
January 12, 2020, 8:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from buckstown
Well, what a fab day out with my 15 year old grandson, very proud to be a loud GTFC fan again. (I've always been a proud GTFC fan but haven't been shouting too much for the last few years). 17th in league 2 and 1300 mariners make east London rock, how cool is that?
Gutted we couldn't hang on for the win but a draw was fair and it looked a nailed on penalty for me. We defend pretty well but clearly we need some creativity going forward.
The good news is that Mattie and Ludwig look excellent as a pair and Glennon looks a class act. Mattie is a class act defensively but needs to work on his distribution which was poor. Glennon looked a bit frustrated in the first half, almost like he couldn't get his head round playing with crap team mates, but think he'll be an asset with a few games under his belt.
Thought Harry played ok but we're desperate for more up front. Akheem won nothing and I don't recall Max beating his defender all day. Vernam was a threat when he ran at their defence but there is no point lofting high balls into defences like orient
Everyone worked their socks off and Macca made the statutory wonder save so don't think we're going to leak loads of goals which is a good foundation.
Finally, well played Orient who actually had some gluten free food, first time ever in a footy ground. And thought Craig Clay played really well when he came on for Orient

Thought Pollocks cushion headers and 30-/ 40 yard passes were brilliant !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Maringer
January 12, 2020, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree, for me Hendrie had a nightmare. He lacks pace and is completely left for dead on a number of ocassions.

Hendrie has been our quickest defender for the past couple of seasons (though I'd imagine the loanee from Burnley will be quicker) and rarely struggles for pace. Like most full-backs, he'll have the odd game each season where he struggles to match his opponent, but he's played a major role in our improved results since his return from injury.

I don't get where the idea he lacks pace comes from - he's comfortably quicker than Hewitt, Gibson or Ring who have been our other main full-backs this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2020, 10:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,642
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Overall I have to say Orient were the better side. Man for man, most* of them looked better than ours. But the effort was certainly there. And but for a silly penalty given away late of we'd have done it. I mean it was Craig Clay who got pushed in the back! Craig Clay (being the exception to the above comment*) not renowned for troubling the goal - Clarke obviously doesn't know him!

Joking aside, good turnout. Lots of familiar faces including a certain poster from Sheffield. Lots of noise. I'm hoarse tonight. Those Belgians certainly keep the party going.  

Whats equally frustrating about the penalty is there where so many players in front of him he'd have struggled to hit that target as well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
Mayaman
January 12, 2020, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whats equally frustrating about the penalty is there where so many players in front of him he'd have struggled to hit that target as well.

Absolutely, there were so many bodies.  The attacking player actually, didn't know what to do.  His hope was for someone to make a lunge and he would go down.  The lads in front were disciplined and holding the line. The tackle wasn't even a tackle, he just got shoved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
marinerjase
January 12, 2020, 11:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...look at it another way..if Clay had not been challenged and scored - be it bodied in front or not - then I’d imagine the manager,coaches and team mates would be screaming ‘why didn’t you put a challenge in??!’ ..or words to that effect

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
KingstonMariner
January 12, 2020, 11:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from marinerjase
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...look at it another way..if Clay had not been challenged and scored - be it bodied in front or not - then I’d imagine the manager,coaches and team mates would be screaming ‘why didn’t you put a challenge in??!’ ..or words to that effect

Not hindsight at all. People were shouting for Clarke not to go steaming in.

The penalty box is a place where you DONT want to be making challenges these days. You just close down their options. We’re talking fourth division players here. The odds are that players in the position that Clay found himself in are not going to hit the target.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
marinerjase
January 12, 2020, 12:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Fair do’s..still feel valid point but hey ho

Ps. You must have bloody good hearing btw

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
KingstonMariner
January 12, 2020, 12:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from marinerjase
Fair do’s..still feel valid point but hey ho

Ps. You must have bloody good hearing btw

Not really, bloke behind me was yelling in my ear ‘NO! NO! DONT!’ before Clarke waded in. Not that Clarke would have heated.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
toontown
January 12, 2020, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry

He doesn't lack pace and he is quicker than Hewitt, but the individual he was up against was quicker. He struggled against him, but he is a good defender at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.