8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 10, 2020, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
If the club have liaised with him and are agreeing a package etc because he’s struggled to settle and the like that’s best for everyone all round.

Yes, he probably made some big decisions when he came here but he is in a profession that, unless you’re a consistent performer is always stop start and short term. The possibility that you’ll lose your job is very real, much like for managers.

Football calls itself a profession, in other professions if you under perform there are processes to help improve performance but ultimately, if that doesn’t happen you’re released (I appreciate that doesn’t happen all the time and some professions just love folk around). That is what has happened here.

Ogbu could’ve been brilliant but in reality it just didn’t happen. I know people have been positive but that’s a handful of folk on here and social media. I’d hazard a guess that if you surveyed the entire home crowd there’d be more saying he wasn’t very good than those that did.

It’s one of those things and nobody holds any malice and I guess people wish him all the best but as myself and others have said, I suspect in ten years we’ll scratch our heads and wonder who the intercourse he was.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 78
Madeleymariner
January 10, 2020, 8:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Vernam looking decent now and with confidence should kick on, but still disappears at times, Hanson is a good for this level injury prone target man, Cook is a pointless never ending injury, Cardwell, just no I'm afraid, Green runs a lot and is ok but not exactly pulling up trees, Akheem is still raw but may get better. That to me says Ogbu 3rd best striker at the club, would see all but Hanson and Vernam go before him. Pity if he is leaving due to not settling and an even bigger pity if IH thinks most of the other strikers are better than him. As we say all about opinions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 78
Teesknees
January 10, 2020, 8:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from 139914
He makes a living out of being a professional footballer.  I work 60 hours a week in a job I hate just to keep a roof over my family’s heads and food on the table.  Who’s the twit, me or him?

Good luck to the lad wherever life takes him.

It's not easy for a lot of people! I know Warwick Davis struggles to put food on the table!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 78
SomeSanity
January 10, 2020, 9:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Look at it like this: One of the highest earners and yet barely started. As exciting as he was to watch, he just wasn't quite right for us in my opinion.

Of course the line is 'he's homesick'. Any decent manager would protect a player publicly. He's hardly going to say hes going because he's a Tesco value Lukaku is he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 78
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 9:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
And remember there was talk of a rift in the squad with many unhappy with the Swedish contingents inflated wages. Add that Ogbu Nigerian so perhaps struggled to fit in with the lads, he maybe cut a forlorn figure in training and Ollie wanted a more united squad.

I wished him to do well, there was magic in those boots somewhere, but let's be honest he just didn't quite do it. I hoped he'd get an extended run down the middle to nail down some form and his place but a couple of times although holding up alright he looked like he lacked in effort and belief (I'm thinking Macc away the last match I've been fit enough to attend) and Ollie said don't give your all and you'll be out the door in a flash.

Frees up some wages if he on big money, though I guess we losing out with a settlement package and although Clarke not got the goal-to-game ratio apparently he brilliant in the dressing room, always desperate to succeed and gives 110% each and every.

So probably the better option for overall squad harmony and everyone pulling in the right direction together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 78
January 10, 2020, 10:28am
Guest User
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Vernam looking decent now and with confidence should kick on, but still disappears at times, Hanson is a good for this level injury prone target man, Cook is a pointless never ending injury, Cardwell, just no I'm afraid, Green runs a lot and is ok but not exactly pulling up trees, Akheem is still raw but may get better. That to me says Ogbu 3rd best striker at the club, would see all but Hanson and Vernam go before him. Pity if he is leaving due to not settling and an even bigger pity if IH thinks most of the other strikers are better than him. As we say all about opinions

Thing is, IH is a professional football manager with nearly 1000 games under his belt.

Reply: 65 - 78
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 10:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
And he privvy to what goes on on the training pitch, unlike us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 78
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 10, 2020, 10:37am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
We should also judge decisions on the release of players on the quality of their replacement. If a good player leaves and a better one joins the club that’s beneficial and taking the club forward. Replace Bogle with Cardwell and your going the other way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 78
diehardmariner
January 10, 2020, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Was always a gamble.  Could tell from that YouTube video in the summer that he had talent but was against some dreadful defending.  Impossible to see how that would translate to the hustle and bustle of League Two.

When he was on it, I thought Ogbu looked unplayable.  Blowing out his bottom due to a lack of games, up front on his own for an out of form side and basically just asked to do a job - yet he was on it against Mansfield.  They couldn't handle him and as much as they tried to foul him he was just too strong.  

You counter that against the game before Christmas when he came on (I forget who!) and he looked like he had won a competition.

Fantastic individual ability.  Problem is he didn't seem to know how and when to use it.  Looked more like he would be suited to Futsal or even one of those show pony types you get doing a million kick-ups whilst doing press ups.

Shame it hasn't worked out but well played Holloway for tackling the issue head on and looking after the lad first.  No doubt it'll free up some wages too.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 78
RonMariner
January 10, 2020, 12:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from 123614
[/b]

Thing is, IH is a professional football manager with nearly 1000 games under his belt.

He has also got teams up into the Premier League twice.

I think I'll trust his judgement on football matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ogbu

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.