Heisenberg
January 2, 2020, 9:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from joe56
The 2nd edition was published in 2011, updated with a chapter on Blackpool. Highly recommended. One of the better football biographies, and demonstrates that he is the intelligent, decent man he has shown himself to be during the last few days. We’re very lucky to have him.

Let’s hope he’s not adding another Chapter next year, with a foreword by Stephen King......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
lee65
January 2, 2020, 10:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Heisenberg

Don’t say that!

I remember being woefully unprepared for the temperatures - I think I just had a town shirt and a rain Mac akin to a bin liner!

That is probably the coldest I’ve been at a game, I think partly as you say because I wasn’t properly prepared for such temperatures in the “soft” south in March.  I remember going for a wander around the concourse at half time hoping to warm up but it was even colder in there!

I also recall one February night (around 15 years ago?) at Rochdale and that was pretty cold too, it was well below zero and I was amazed the game was on  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2020, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Heisenberg

Don’t say that!

I remember being woefully unprepared for the temperatures - I think I just had a town shirt and a rain Mac akin to a bin liner!

I have bad dreams like that. Just a top. Nowt else.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
AussieMariner
January 2, 2020, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I have bad dreams like that. Just a top. Nowt else.

Bloody hell
Talk about freezing your balls off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
promotion plaice
January 2, 2020, 11:28pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from lee65

That is probably the coldest I’ve been at a game

I never attend freezing winter games now without "HOTHANDS Foot Warmers" in my socks, my feet are like toast...bliss.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
arryarryarry
January 3, 2020, 12:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah
I read this on holiday 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, I was sat by the pool reading it whilst simultaneously listening to us getting beaten 2-1 at home by Hayes & Yeading, with the help of a Jamie Hand thunderbolt along the way (funny what you remember, innit).

I remember at the time thinking it would be great to have this guy in charge of us one day. The book is obviously well out of date now, being over a decade old, but it’s definitely worth a read. Funny, entertaining and enlightening, as you’d expect.

Interesting that he hasn’t listed Lennie Lawrence among the number of managerial greats to have taken the helm at Blundell Park. There was one anecdote he shared when he had just taken over at QPR, when he came up against Town.

It was Paddy’s Day 2001, and if I remember correctly (and clearly I’ve got a memory for insignificant details), the day Marcus Bignot made his QPR debut having been signed by Holloway from Brizzle Rovers.

Anyway, anyone there that day will remember it for two things. First, it being possibly the most one-sided game of all time and secondly for the most incredible goalkeeping performance from Danny Coyne. Peter Crouch alone should’ve had about nine.

Remarkably, Town won 1-0. After the game, a seething Holloway gets a knock on his office door. It’s Lennie. “I can see you’re struggling a bit at the moment”, or words to that effect, says Lennie. “If you ever need any advice, here’s my number”.

Ollie was apparently so angry, having schooled us in every footballing department with the important exception of actually scoring a goal, that he literally chased him out of Loftus Road.

Anyway, Ollie’s new found Town affinity aside, it’s a good read and well worth £3 of anyone’s money.

I was there and I thought at the time that useless lanky twit won't go anywhere

As for really cold games, too many to reel all of them off, but ones that stick in the mind, away at Barnet one time and an FA Trophy replay one Tuesday night in November 2012 at frigging Buxton.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Les Brechin
January 3, 2020, 7:13am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Coldest I've ever been at a game was an FA Cup replay at Halifax in the late '80's. You litterally watched the pitch turn whiter and whiter as the game went on. Still can't believe that the match finished. To make matters worse we were bloody awful and lost 2-0. Got to admit though, that day at Wembley was bloody Baltic.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
ginnywings
January 3, 2020, 8:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Coldest ground apart from BP has to be Hartlepool. Some terrible memories of open stands, wind, rain, snow and several maulings on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Hameln Mariner
January 3, 2020, 11:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +134
I'd forgotten about that game at Buxton, yes that was very cold but I'll raise you with the Lincs Cup game home v Boston when Futch scored "the goal".  He was playing in a short sleeved shirt that night if I remember properly, I'm sure he whacked that shot into the top corner for no other reason that he thought that it was too cold for the game to go into extra time. He wasn't wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Tommy
January 3, 2020, 3:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Plenty of games at BP where I've frozen my balderdash off, but Wembley against Wrexham in the FA Trophy is as cold as i remember ever being.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1p for Ollie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.