This thread currently has 7,530 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
January 2, 2020, 7:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I know it's a few years old now but has anyone ordered "Ollie" for a penny. (Plus postage)  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/of.....577993728&sr=8-2

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
pizzzza
January 2, 2020, 7:46pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Think I'll hang on for the revised edition due out in a few years time, he might just have some new chapters to add...
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
Poojah
January 2, 2020, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
I read this on holiday 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, I was sat by the pool reading it whilst simultaneously listening to us getting beaten 2-1 at home by Hayes & Yeading, with the help of a Jamie Hand thunderbolt along the way (funny what you remember, innit).

I remember at the time thinking it would be great to have this guy in charge of us one day. The book is obviously well out of date now, being over a decade old, but it’s definitely worth a read. Funny, entertaining and enlightening, as you’d expect.

Interesting that he hasn’t listed Lennie Lawrence among the number of managerial greats to have taken the helm at Blundell Park. There was one anecdote he shared when he had just taken over at QPR, when he came up against Town.

It was Paddy’s Day 2001, and if I remember correctly (and clearly I’ve got a memory for insignificant details), the day Marcus Bignot made his QPR debut having been signed by Holloway from Brizzle Rovers.

Anyway, anyone there that day will remember it for two things. First, it being possibly the most one-sided game of all time and secondly for the most incredible goalkeeping performance from Danny Coyne. Peter Crouch alone should’ve had about nine.

Remarkably, Town won 1-0. After the game, a seething Holloway gets a knock on his office door. It’s Lennie. “I can see you’re struggling a bit at the moment”, or words to that effect, says Lennie. “If you ever need any advice, here’s my number”.

Ollie was apparently so angry, having schooled us in every footballing department with the important exception of actually scoring a goal, that he literally chased him out of Loftus Road.

Anyway, Ollie’s new found Town affinity aside, it’s a good read and well worth £3 of anyone’s money.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 2, 2020, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
The Jamie Hand thunderbolt was one of the best goals I have seen at BP and really brought us down to earth in our second home game of that first Conference season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
Heisenberg
January 2, 2020, 8:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,956
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Poojah
I read this on holiday 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, I was sat by the pool reading it whilst simultaneously listening to us getting beaten 2-1 at home by Hayes & Yeading, with the help of a Jamie Hand thunderbolt along the way (funny what you remember, innit).

I remember at the time thinking it would be great to have this guy in charge of us one day. The book is obviously well out of date now, being over a decade old, but it’s definitely worth a read. Funny, entertaining and enlightening, as you’d expect.

Interesting that he hasn’t listed Lennie Lawrence among the number of managerial greats to have taken the helm at Blundell Park. There was one anecdote he shared when he had just taken over at QPR, when he came up against Town.

It was Paddy’s Day 2001, and if I remember correctly (and clearly I’ve got a memory for insignificant details), the day Marcus Bignot made his QPR debut having been signed by Holloway from Brizzle Rovers.

Anyway, anyone there that day will remember it for two things. First, it being possibly the most one-sided game of all time and secondly for the most incredible goalkeeping performance from Danny Coyne. Peter Crouch alone should’ve had about nine.

Remarkably, Town won 1-0. After the game, a seething Holloway gets a knock on his office door. It’s Lennie. “I can see you’re struggling a bit at the moment”, or words to that effect, says Lennie. “If you ever need any advice, here’s my number”.

Ollie was apparently so angry, having schooled us in every footballing department with the important exception of actually scoring a goal, that he literally chased him out of Loftus Road.

Anyway, Ollie’s new found Town affinity aside, it’s a good read and well worth £3 of anyone’s money.

My mate who lives in London went to that QPR game, as did a few on here I’m sure, and he said it was the most preposterous act of football thievery he had ever witnessed! By all accounts, maybe even more one-sided than the famous Goodison Park game in the 80’s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
Les Brechin
January 2, 2020, 8:43pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

Anyway, anyone there that day will remember it for two things. First, it being possibly the most one-sided game of all time  

More one-sided than Everton away in 1984??

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
moosey_club
January 2, 2020, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Les Brechin
I know it's a few years old now but has anyone ordered "Ollie" for a penny. (Plus postage)  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/of.....577993728&sr=8-2

I thought from the thread title this was going to be a low budget "war chest" whip round for the new manager Les.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
Mendonca1995
January 2, 2020, 8:53pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Remember it well danny Coyne was literally flying around the goalmouth like superman and yes crouch should of scored at least 9 😆 great result and plenty of town fans there that day think it was groves who struck the winner for us

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Poojah
January 2, 2020, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Les Brechin

More one-sided than Everton away in 1984??

I couldn’t make it that night as I wasn’t born for another 6 months and my dear old mum seemingly didn’t want to go, so I can’t really make the comparison. It was, however, like nothing I’ve seen before or since.

Incidentally, I did technically take my lad to his first Town match at about 8 weeks gestation - Wrexham at Wembley in the Trophy final. Cold, cold game to take a hormonally charged, pregnant lady to, I’ll tell you that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
forza ivano
January 2, 2020, 9:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
How would you rate it compared the Easter smash n grab at wba when Luke Cornwall I think scores with our only chance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1p for Ollie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.