HertsGTFC
January 2, 2020, 6:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Does that matter? Take a look at Brentford's new ground and the shape of land they have squeezed it into.

When you drive past it looks like some great work.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Poojah
January 2, 2020, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,473
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Does that matter? Take a look at Brentford's new ground and the shape of land they have squeezed it into.

Was just about to post this as an example. By no means does the patch of land in yellow below look like a prime location for a 17,500 all seater stadium, and yet there she is...

[img]https://i-imgur-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w1200/i.imgur.com/ME5Dtua.jpg[/img]
[youtube]cgK5ywc41-I[/youtube]

What’s nice about it is how it enforces character upon the stadium as it conforms to its pre-existing environment - a generic bowl simply wouldn’t have been possible.

In terms of how it gets funded, I have no idea. My worry about a community stadium is that it takes a degree of control out of the club’s hands going forward. We’d not only miss out on the ancillary income streams a modern stadium can provide, it also prevents us borrowing money against it should we ever need to.

All that said, if it’s that way or nothing, it’s probably the better option.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
January 2, 2020, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I'm sure you're right about IH being privy to info not yet in the public domain. This would help to explain why he's buying/acquiring shares in the club, why he's moving to the area and why he's here in the first place even though he is giving up a lucrative media income.

If that is correct, and it does make sense, then surely from IH's musings it also still involves Fenty?

The reason I say that is IH has made reference to Mr Fenty being someone he could work with, and they did hug each other at the Press Conference.

If we are likely to get investment and investors but with JF as an integral part of it then so be it if it moves the club forward.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
jock dock tower
January 2, 2020, 7:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Poojah

Was just about to post this as an example. By no means does the patch of land in yellow below look like a prime location for a 17,500 all seater stadium, and yet there she is...

[img]https://i-imgur-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w1200/i.imgur.com/ME5Dtua.jpg[/img]
[youtube]cgK5ywc41-I[/youtube]

What’s nice about it is how it enforces character upon the stadium as it conforms to its pre-existing environment - a generic bowl simply wouldn’t have been possible.

In terms of how it gets funded, I have no idea. My worry about a community stadium is that it takes a degree of control out of the club’s hands going forward. We’d not only miss out on the ancillary income streams a modern stadium can provide, it also prevents us borrowing money against it should we ever need to.

The plus side of things there's minimal maintenance costs, no loans, no rental, and things like public liability insurance would also be taken up by the Council (I assume) Isn't our catering outsourced anyway inside the ground? There's absolutely no reason at all for the club not to purchase a retail outlet nearby if it wants to sell it's memorabilia etc on matchday, and a simple cost benefit analysis would soon indicate whether or not it would be successful. I think a member's social club nearby would be venture well worth looking at for obvious reasons, but the potential for freeing up all that cash that would otherwise just slip through the club's fingers can not be discounted?

All that said, if it’s that way or nothing, it’s probably the better option.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
Vance Warner
January 2, 2020, 9:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Tradjazz
Now there is a Conservative MP in town taxpayers will be funding a vanity project for a multi-millionaire rather than schools, hospitals and public services...is one way you could look at it.

It’ll be interesting to see how far they can make £30m stretch in redeveloping the entirety of Freeman Street, already agreed in 2018, unless Boris turns up with a handout from his bread & circuses fund.

We need to take maximum advantage now we have a 'Blue' Council and Govenment who actually care and want to do the Country proud. Just watch as Britian become Great Britian again when we leave those EU scroungers to find their own money. Still believe that Corbyn(Steptoe) is still the best thing ever to happen to the Tories for years. It's a joy to watch!  

Hahaha wow. That'll be the same government that has destroyed working class towns and cities for the last 9 years then. I have mates who voted Tory and all have their reasons but none are naive enough to believe they actually care about the average person in this country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freeman street

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.