Marinerz93
January 6, 2020, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How do you know he’s a scrob? Got a Scandi friend in Scunthorpe?

Just the image of a scruffy dim wit that looks like Benny off crossroads and I bet he stinks to high heaven. Just like the scrob I saw drunk up on the fish market one morning, no doubt he's a scrob.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
rancido
January 7, 2020, 9:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Marinerz93

Just the image of a scruffy dim wit that looks like Benny off crossroads and I bet he stinks to high heaven. Just like the scrob I saw drunk up on the fish market one morning, no doubt he's a scrob.

The generally accepted use of the word "scrob", in Grimsby, was used to describe a Scandinavian ( usually Danish) fisherman. It was nothing to do with the way he was dressed or his state of sobriety.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Rik e B
January 7, 2020, 10:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Never heard of it.

Know the kids use 'scrub' but that a new youtuber term, as in ' you cheeky scrub' which I'm guessing means young scally
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
rancido
January 7, 2020, 11:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Never heard of it.

Know the kids use 'scrub' but that a new youtuber term, as in ' you cheeky scrub' which I'm guessing means young scally

It was a common expression when there was a large number of Danish fisherman working from Grimsby. I used to go to the Mariners Club a lot in the 1960's /70's and there was one corner where a lot of Danish fisherman used to sit, to drink and play cards, and it was known as "Scrobs Corner". In fact down Nelson Street there used to be some public toilets and they carried the signs Damer and Herrer which is Danish for Ladies and Gentlemen because of the large influx of Danish fishermen

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Rik e B
January 7, 2020, 11:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Oh I never knew about the Danish contingent, thanks, always good to hear a bit of local history. Born in '81 so before my time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Marinerz93
January 8, 2020, 6:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

The generally accepted use of the word "scrob", in Grimsby, was used to describe a Scandinavian ( usually Danish) fisherman. It was nothing to do with the way he was dressed or his state of sobriety.

Never new that Rancido, I know the general term Scrob originates as you described for Scandinavian fisherman, from what I was told aimed mainly the ones who were landing our fish quotas. On the fish market on the docks one morning in the mid 80's and old boy pointed at I think it was a Faroe Islands fisherman who was dressed like Benny from cross roads stunk of BO and booze. The term Scrob as far as I knew was always derogatory as Scrob was always followed by illegitimate. This was from the Murray Street side of the fish market, which was usually where the selling started.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
grimsby pete
January 8, 2020, 7:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
My wife is the daughter of a Danish fisherman who fished out of Grimsby,

Scrob was the term used to describe them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
jock dock tower
January 8, 2020, 7:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
There was also a Scrob's Corner on the docks, an area where the Scandiavian vessels would moor.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
rancido
January 8, 2020, 7:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Never new that Rancido, I know the general term Scrob originates as you described for Scandinavian fisherman, from what I was told aimed mainly the ones who were landing our fish quotas. On the fish market on the docks one morning in the mid 80's and old boy pointed at I think it was a Faroe Islands fisherman who was dressed like Benny from cross roads stunk of BO and booze. The term Scrob as far as I knew was always derogatory as Scrob was always followed by illegitimate. This was from the Murray Street side of the fish market, which was usually where the selling started.

I first heard the expression used in the early 60's, possibly 1963 when I went on my first "pleasure trip" and the quota system hadn't been introduced then. I don't think it was used in a derogatory way, much as we generalise saying somebody is a Geordie, Cockney or Yorkie.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2020, 7:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Surprising how this has dropped out of awareness with the younger generation. Scandinavians in the GY area were quite prevalent (and I don’t mean the Vikings, though Grimsby obviously started with them - not Cleethorpes.....Clee is much older 😉).

I took it for granted at the time but when I think back to surnames of kids at school to say nothing of families like the Bojens (spelling?), I realise it was quite a significant number. I was surprised when I found out that Jesse Lingard didn’t come from NE Lincs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our own song, a genuine suggestion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.