Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we expect?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 395 Guests

What can we expect?

This thread currently has 2,534 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
January 1, 2020, 11:03am
Guest User
Excited about the new gaffer but in truth don’t know much about him, apart from having a strong West Country accent and strong personality. What style of football are we likely to see, a Jolley 4-3-3 or Buckley 4-4-2? Watched some stuff on YouTube and briefly concluded he is a good dancer and will be ruthless with players who are late for training. Good podcast with the Beast, Jon Parkin worth a watch.

Looking forward to his first signings, I think he’ll bring in a few high profile experienced vets and I predict he’ll make Max Wright a million plus player in 18 months.
January 1, 2020, 11:56am
Guest User
Are you my next door neighbour?
Reply: 1 - 11
1mickylyons
January 1, 2020, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I expect to see some fast attacking football with emphasis on passing and movement surely it will bring goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
January 1, 2020, 12:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from 123614
Are you my next door neighbour?

Could be
Reply: 3 - 11
Devonmatt
January 1, 2020, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
I loved IH's Plymouth team of 06/07.  He played 4-4-2 with very wide wide players and midfielders breaking into the box.  It was the most 'Buckley' style team I'd seen since the glory days of Buckley Mark1.
IH's Blackpool team just opened the pitch up and worked on outscoring the oppo - also a huge joy to watch.  I do think this was a great use of the talent he had at his disposal (rather than a philosophical way of playing) - great (attacking) wingers, attacking midfielders and good centre forwards and not many people who could do the 'dirty' side of the game.
Should be fun to watch IMHO.

UTM!    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
grimsby pete
January 1, 2020, 12:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
We should not expect instant success it will take Ian a while to work his magic.

BUT

It will be fun from the start .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
psgmariner
January 1, 2020, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I thought he was a 442 long ball type of manager.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
psgmariner
January 1, 2020, 1:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
But a quick google suggests I am wrong...

http://argyle.life/analysis/race-to-home-park-ian-holloway/

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2020, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I think it will take time but I’d expect better shape and injuries permitting some consistency in selection.

Incomings & outgoings? We’ll see a couple loaned out and a couple come in. Don’t expect anyone well known but would like a bit more experience in mid field and if we bring any U23 loans in I hope their at a similar level as Embelton was last season.

This is exciting but let’s not lose sight of the fact that the current squad is ok when everyone is fit but becomes this very quickly when a couple are crocked and we haven’t got cash to burn.

All that said I’m just glad we can talk about some positives for a change.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
pizzzza
January 1, 2020, 1:18pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Devonmatt
  He played 4-4-2 with very wide wide players    

Fat wingers?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
forza ivano
January 1, 2020, 1:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from psgmariner
But a quick google suggests I am wrong...

http://argyle.life/analysis/race-to-home-park-ian-holloway/

Very interesting.has obviously Been thinking of doing something like this for a long time

https://www.expressandstar.com.....to-talk-to-saddlers/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Marinerz93
January 1, 2020, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think it will take time but I’d expect better shape and injuries permitting some consistency in selection.

Incomings & outgoings? We’ll see a couple loaned out and a couple come in. Don’t expect anyone well known but would like a bit more experience in mid field and if we bring any U23 loans in I hope their at a similar level as Embelton was last season.

This is exciting but let’s not lose sight of the fact that the current squad is ok when everyone is fit but becomes this very quickly when a couple are crocked and we haven’t got cash to burn.

All that said I’m just glad we can talk about some positives for a change.

Summed up perfectly for me so this.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we expect?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.