Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 199 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 112,778 views. Print
54 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
December 26, 2019, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I doubt it. He's been linked with every Championship, L1 & some L2 vacancies for the past 18 months and he's still not back in the game. I remember during his last sabatical from the game (12 months between leaving Leicester and joining Blackpool) he was on BBC 5 Live as a pundit when they interviewed new Grimsby manager Mike Newell. Ollie was surprisingly knowledgeable about GTFC back then and even mentioned a couple of players he liked to Mike Newell.

I remember that interview. I was so excited by the Newell appointment I was listening to every sports station going and remember it well. Holloway also mentioned that "North lad up front" so I don't think he knew too much about how poor we were!

On a brighter note, Holloway will have been to BP many times, and seen us in far better shape than we are now; he probably has seen BP rocking and might think if I could re-create something like that we might be able to do something with the club.

Well, it is Christmas and we can but dream. Any new manager would be good, but someone with the knowledge and personality of Hollway might be a good fit; sometimes you need a larger than life character to kick-start a club as we have known ourselves in the distant past.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 532
Northbank Mariner
December 26, 2019, 8:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
If Fenty wants any kudos back he should act now and get this man signed up ..
We've been screaming about getting a proven league manager who's not afraid to shake it up a bit and Holloway fits that's I'll..
Doubt money will come in to it, he said on sports talk he wants a job that challenges him and one he sees as a project...well, hello, GTFC offer him both these things!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 532
topuphere666
December 26, 2019, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
The time to spend money and sort this mess out has been a long time coming. I firmly believe the only way we will beat relegation this year is due to the mess at Bury and Macclesfield, but this is a repeat of 2009/2010.

Fenty needs to be bold with this decision and get the right person in even if it stretches the budget slightly. We are playing better under AL and he will have a part to play in the back room team but he’s not the man for the job long term. We’ve scored one goal in what, 3 months? This cannot go on. Just before MJ was sacked we were saying ‘win our games in hand and we’re there or there abouts for a play off spot’ Jesus,  We’ve plummeted significantly since then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 532
jonnyboy82
December 26, 2019, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Oh yes please john.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 532
OllieGTFC
December 26, 2019, 9:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
No chance on this earth will Ian Holloway end up here, things we need as a club, the club prepared to give the manager so why on earth would he come here, if he does I’ll run around Blundell park naked

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 532
darren9
December 26, 2019, 9:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
After watching Fenty’s YouTube interview the only conclusion I can draw is that the job is Limbrick’s I can only assume it hasn’t been officially announced due to results. But the language used in that interview doesn’t suggest that we’re looking elsewhere. I’d expect following today’s draw and goal that Limbrick will be announced shortly with the press release citing an improvement in playing style and attitude which we all know is complete balderdash but the club will expect we’ll not question.

As for Holloway I can’t see him being an option or rather I can’t see him thinking Grimsby is a viable option.
He must (quite rightly) see himself as a top-level or at least second tier manager. Not perennial league 2 strugglers. Even if he did fancy a challenge why grimsby? We’re underfunded, there’s no investment in the club, there’s no investment in the facilities (beyond a portacabin or 2) the club is up for sale which means the board you sign for might not  be the board you work for (although the actual likelihood of the club being sold is an altogether different depressing topic). Plus there’s a history of hiring and firing managers. Getting the sack at Grimsby would surely be the final nail in the coffin of Holloway’s managerial career.
It’s not like he’d be earning loads. It’s well documented the we see the 6 month rolling contract as a sound business proposition and it just doesn’t give the security someone like Holloway will be looking for.

It’d be great to appoint Holloway. I’m sure he’d do a good job for town and if not he’d at least be entertaining. But I don’t think it’s going to happen.

In Limbrick we hope.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 532
Fishy clapper
December 26, 2019, 9:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from darren9
After watching Fenty’s YouTube interview the only conclusion I can draw is that the job is Limbrick’s I can only assume it hasn’t been officially announced due to results. But the language used in that interview doesn’t suggest that we’re looking elsewhere. I’d expect following today’s draw and goal that Limbrick will be announced shortly with the press release citing an improvement in playing style and attitude which we all know is complete balderdash but the club will expect we’ll not question.

As for Holloway I can’t see him being an option or rather I can’t see him thinking Grimsby is a viable option.
He must (quite rightly) see himself as a top-level or at least second tier manager. Not perennial league 2 strugglers. Even if he did fancy a challenge why grimsby? We’re underfunded, there’s no investment in the club, there’s no investment in the facilities (beyond a portacabin or 2) the club is up for sale which means the board you sign for might not  be the board you work for (although the actual likelihood of the club being sold is an altogether different depressing topic). Plus there’s a history of hiring and firing managers. Getting the sack at Grimsby would surely be the final nail in the coffin of Holloway’s managerial career.
It’s not like he’d be earning loads. It’s well documented the we see the 6 month rolling contract as a sound business proposition and it just doesn’t give the security someone like Holloway will be looking for.

It’d be great to appoint Holloway. I’m sure he’d do a good job for town and if not he’d at least be entertaining. But I don’t think it’s going to happen.

In Limbrick we hope.

You lost all credibility once you said ‘perennial’.
One of the worst words in football, should stay put in the garden centre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 532
lew chaterleys lover
December 26, 2019, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from OllieGTFC
No chance on this earth will Ian Holloway end up here, things we need as a club, the club prepared to give the manager so why on earth would he come here, if he does I’ll run around Blundell park naked

Because he is a football man through and through, he hates not being involved in the day to day running of a club and he can't get a job elsewhere.

He knows what we could be like as he has seen it first hand in the past; he probably hates all non chairmen so that won't stop him.

We all know it is unlikely, but dreaming is the only thing we have got left.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 532
Perkins
December 26, 2019, 9:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Be careful, I remember a guy in Mcmenemys days said the same thing,  and he kept his word and did it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 532
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2019, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217

Because he is a football man through and through, he hates not being involved in the day to day running of a club and he can't get a job elsewhere.

He knows what we could be like as he has seen it first hand in the past; he probably hates all non chairmen so that won't stop him.

We all know it is unlikely, but dreaming is the only thing we have got left.

If he came to Town RH would be all over us like a rash, not sure if he’s got anything left in the tank but he’s great copy.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 532
54 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.