Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 113,094 views. Print
54 Pages Prev ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... Next All Recommend Thread
sydney
December 30, 2019, 8:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
For the money Holloway will cost please can we have one more go at Tisdale
I really feel Holloway is old school and will fill the team with older journeymen
Tisdale will give us a longer term future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 400 - 532
Northbank Mariner
December 30, 2019, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from sydney
I really feel Holloway is old school and will fill the team with older journeymen

And old school is what we need...no more Mr Nice guy managers, we need someone to get them geed up more...give them a roasting and out their arms round the shoulder when needed, a proper man manager with experience and one that will get GTFC back in the limelight for all the right reasons...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 401 - 532
Mighty_Mariner
December 30, 2019, 8:30pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I would be interesting to know what Gary McShefferey had to say to Holloway regarding his time at Town. I'm sure it would have been discussed during last night's filming... You would hope Gary would be complimentary about his time here.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 402 - 532
bigdavemariner
December 30, 2019, 8:35pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
I'm gonna come out with a Holloway esque quote here...

It's like buying a new car. JF has budgeted himself 6 grand. He's gone on auto trader and looked about and what's on offer. There's alot of cars with motorway miles on the clock. They look nice but cone with a load of problems hence the reason they're cheap (Dave Jones etc), there's the newer but less fashionable cars knocking about but you're not sure If they're up to much because no one has bought one (some random lower league coach), or you can plow your money into the 800 quid MOT failure of your current car. It's abit excrement, got a dodgy seatbelt and some rust on the door, but you know what it's about Ans it's the safe option (limbrick)

However , It's only when JF has wandered into the show room and some cheeky chappy salesman shows you the nice 12 grand motor that you start changing your mind. All of a sudden the budget is out the window, you're loving the idea of heated seats and parking sensors and before you know it you've signed up to a 13 year finance deal at 3 grand a month (Holloway)

If JF were to go on auto trader and look for a 12 grand motor he'd find something that suits him much better and would please everyone rather than what's shoved under his nose.

But if I'm given a choice between Limbrick and Holloway, I'm swayed towards the latter. He's going to bring the fans back in, give us some media attention, put a rocket up the players and hopefully give us a lift

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 403 - 532
Hagrid
December 30, 2019, 8:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from sydney

No league Promotions.. i fail to see the buzz about Tisdale. Done nothing compared to IH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 404 - 532
Davec
December 30, 2019, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Hagrid

No league Promotions.. i fail to see the buzz about Tisdale. Done nothing compared to IH

Tisdale has been promoted from league 2 multiple times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 405 - 532
MuddyWaters
December 30, 2019, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Davec

Tisdale has been promoted from league 2 multiple times

His only managerial promotions have been with Team Bath.
Private Message
Reply: 406 - 532
GollyGTFC
December 30, 2019, 9:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from MuddyWaters

His only managerial promotions have been with Team Bath.

Did I imagine him getting MK Dons promoted last season?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 407 - 532
Poojah
December 30, 2019, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from bigdavemariner
I'm gonna come out with a Holloway esque quote here...

It's like buying a new car. JF has budgeted himself 6 grand. He's gone on auto trader and looked about and what's on offer. There's alot of cars with motorway miles on the clock. They look nice but cone with a load of problems hence the reason they're cheap (Dave Jones etc), there's the newer but less fashionable cars knocking about but you're not sure If they're up to much because no one has bought one (some random lower league coach), or you can plow your money into the 800 quid MOT failure of your current car. It's abit excrement, got a dodgy seatbelt and some rust on the door, but you know what it's about Ans it's the safe option (limbrick)

However , It's only when JF has wandered into the show room and some cheeky chappy salesman shows you the nice 12 grand motor that you start changing your mind. All of a sudden the budget is out the window, you're loving the idea of heated seats and parking sensors and before you know it you've signed up to a 13 year finance deal at 3 grand a month (Holloway)

If JF were to go on auto trader and look for a 12 grand motor he'd find something that suits him much better and would please everyone rather than what's shoved under his nose.

But if I'm given a choice between Limbrick and Holloway, I'm swayed towards the latter. He's going to bring the fans back in, give us some media attention, put a rocket up the players and hopefully give us a lift

Your analogy works better if you think of the MOT fix-up not as the safe choice, but simply as the cheapest option in the short-term.

Many moons ago, I actually got caught up in this trap myself. I had a 20 year old Peugeot with about 200,000 miles on the clock. Something would go wrong on an almost weekly occurance, and I was regularly sinking £300 or £400 of my meagre monthly wages just to keep it on the road because I didn’t have enough money to go out and buy a proper car.

Ultimately, if I’d have spent the money up front on something fit for purpose, it would have cost much less in the long run and I’d have had a better driving experience along the way to boot.

That’s really what we’re faced with here. Everyone knows Limbrick is the cheapest option today in terms of salary expectation. But what’s the true cost of going with unproven inexperience in the long-term?

The role of a manager is so fundamental to the financial performance of a football club. In our case, the manager is the custodian of a seven figure playing budget, and their performance has a huge impact on gate receipts and other income such as prize and TV money - as we know all too well, austerity seriously hits home if you find yourself in the Conference.

When it comes to picking a manager, no one can ever being 100% certain that they’re not being sold a lemon; at least Holloway comes with a pretty solid looking full service history.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 408 - 532
GollyGTFC
December 30, 2019, 9:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Did I imagine him getting MK Dons promoted last season?

And he took Exeter from the Conference to League One.

So including his spell at Team Bath he has 5 promotions (including at least one at every club he’s managed) and 1 relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 409 - 532
54 Pages Prev ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.