Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 305 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 113,165 views. Print
54 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
December 28, 2019, 11:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
IMO it just another con to try and get folk back interested and through the gates just like pre swason all flannel.. there is no way fenty will pay any where near what IH will want , and all i can see is them clashing all the time. Remember this is not GTFC its JSFFC, And he must be in charge and obayed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 532
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 28, 2019, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

I was all excited and completely positive about Newell - say no flipping more!

At least he has managed more than a Swedish subbuteo team and a bunch of bank employees

Just can't understand why for the life of me GTFC would appeal to him, not saying I'm not in favour but the Fishy is doing it again getting all excited and pushing one particular name forward

I'm still convinced Fenty appointed Jolley partly because of Fishy pressure and the tide of apathy and distrust you mention was turned at that point - look where it got us!

Jolley got the job simply because there was no-one else. That huge list of quality applicants JF quoted at the time melted away just as it has this time. In the end we are left with someone that no-one else would give house room to. I'm with you in wanting something better but better costs money. The Fishy may be pushing one name and that may well be because there are only two names and one is already here.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 532
darren9
December 28, 2019, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39

I hate optimists.

A pessimist is never disappointed.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 532
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 28, 2019, 12:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from darren9

A pessimist is never disappointed.

My thoughts exactly Darren, especially where JF and managerial appointments are concerned!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 532
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2019, 1:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
On reflection the question would be how much more can he get out of this group as in reality there isn’t any cash to bring in any quality above functional L2 level, then again adding a bit of “functional” might help.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 532
jock dock tower
December 28, 2019, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As  someone who has run a successful business, and is therefore used to success, I always find myself asking why JF hasn't replicated that success at Blundell Park, as others in similar positions have done at other clubs.

I well remember the season 2008-09 when both Bournemouth and Rotherham managed to overturn 17 point deductions and finish above us. Luton couldn't make up the 30 point deduction and they got relegated, otherwise we'd have been playing non league football a season earlier.

The difference is startling between the three clubs. Bournemouth got promotion the same season we were relegated, and haven't looked back. They've obviously had somebody good at the helm, probably with a board of directors also wanting success. Rotherham made the play offs, but had to wait for their promotion to the First Division and then the Championship. The difference to me has to be in the day to day running of the club, the decisions taken (or not as the case may be) and the differing strategies for each club. We have been content to be (a) languishing in the non league game for too long (b) breaking up the successful team that we had in getting us promotion and replacing them with mainly second rate replacements , and (c) seemingly happy to totally underperform at the very basement of the Football League.

How can three clubs in 2008-09, all facing relegation to non league football, see two clubs out perform the following season (and subsequent ones) and the other slide into almost total obscurity and apathy? It's not necessarily the manager's problem, because the same person appointed all of them. It's the fact that the right manager wasn't found in the first instance, probably because of the lack of any foresight to take the club forward, hoping it could all be done on the cheap. Now we have the chance to maybe do something that could galvanise, the players, the club, the support and the town. If we don't do so,  it will not be because of any demands Holloway makes, but because of the same old dogged insistence of doing things the wrong way.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 532
grimsby pete
December 28, 2019, 1:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I can just envisage what how interview went ,

JF,   Well Ian what do you think now you have seen our training ground and plans for the new stadium ?

IH     Impressed with the plans John maybe we could include a new training ground at the same time.

JF.  That would depend on what league you could get us up to. Now what would you like from us ?

IH    A   three / four year contract at £150,000  pa would be my minimum.

JF    Well a 6 month rolling contract at £75,000 pa  is the best I can offer,

IH    Its been nice talking to you John goodbye .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 532
StickfordMariner
December 28, 2019, 5:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +366
Gold Stars: 12
Well I for one want it to happen. Think it would get us all interested again and bring the buzz back! Just my opinion for you all 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 532
Northbank Mariner
December 28, 2019, 5:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
C'mon JSF...for once do the right thing, don't penny punch, don't be frugel....speculate to accumulate, get the fans back on board, get the buzz of match days back....and some really interesting post match interviews ...it's yours for the taking.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 532
Ipswin
December 28, 2019, 6:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from StickfordMariner

. Think it would get us all interested again and bring the buzz back!

I'm sure you are right in that.

Appointing Holloway would have an amazing effect amongst the fans but I am not at all sure whether, given what he has to work with, he could turn things around results-wise which IMO is the most important part.

Personally I'd take boring hoofball 1-0 wins over interesting and possibly exciting football resulting in narrow defeats any day.

Whoever gets the job only a top 12 finish will do.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 532
54 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.