Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 368 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 112,768 views. Print
54 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
LH
December 28, 2019, 8:40am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from ginnywings
Haven't seen folks this excited about a manager since Mike Newell.  

Yes. Just because we’ve heard of them doesn’t mean they’ll do any good. I’m not sure Holloway is the answer to our current predicament although Limbrick has tried and has proven that he isn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 532
darren9
December 28, 2019, 8:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from marinerdazza
I suspect we were nothing more than a bargaining chip in his negotiations with Bristol Rovers. I also suspect neither party had any serious intention of completing this deal and the story is being allowed to snowball to make it look like we’re ambitious. There’ll be a report that “we tried our best” and Holloway will carry the can for asking for too much money. In the meantime Limbrick will have taken 3 points from either Crawley or more likely Salford and he’ll get to the end of the season.

This. Exactly.

I don’t think there is any real interest from either party for this deal.

The budget both for the managers salary and for player acquisition isn’t big enough for Holloway and with the club being up for sale I can’t see Fenty wanting to put any more in to get a name in the managers seat.

The story much like the Sol Campbell one last time we were manager less does benefit both parties.

For Holloway it gets his name mentioned and he’s in peoples minds again as a manager and not just a pundit. It’s almost reminding those in football that he is a manager and available.

For Grimsby it’s a statement of intent. We can say we looked at all candidates and that we tried to get a name in but we couldn’t get it over the line or we couldn’t get our ducks in a row or whatever. Or even that we decided that Limbrick was the cheaper preferred option due to his knowledge of the club, his ability to lift a cloud and the improved performances (or some other rubbish). The Holloway story also removes some of the pressure off Fenty. By having this out there it looks as though we’re actually considering what is best for the club rather than what is the bare minimum required.

I remain convinced that we’ll give Limbrick the job, will sell Max Wright and Mattie Pollock for £4.20 and a bag of footballs in January and replace them with a couple of completely underwhelming loan signings or journeymen and limp into a relegation battle come the end of the season.

Still, at least we’ve got a nice portacabin eh?

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 532
jock dock tower
December 28, 2019, 9:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The thing is with this story is this

1. The club HAVE interviewed him. They would be aware of his modus operandi before doing so.

2. There seems to be precious little other news about possible contenders for the job.

3. If they now don't say "It's yours, Ian" they'll leave themselves wide open to accusations of not acting in the best interests of the club, perferring instead to take money out rather than investing in.

4. I understand that Macclesfield are in financial trouble, and Sol Campbell's wages might play a very small part in that (£180k) but their board took the view last season that they needed somebody with something to keep them up. He did that. Why would we settle for less?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 532
Zero_as_a_limit
December 28, 2019, 9:53am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WObX8Mf.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 532
Posh Harry
December 28, 2019, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Spoken to a QPR supporting mate about Holloway.

To summarise, excellent man manager, players would run through walls for him and some that were not in the picture before he got there turned into the better players under him. Passion, passion, passion.

Sometimes got found out tactically but in championship and thinks would be a really good option at our level. Football style was mixed but mainly decent quality played at good pace.

Main negative (and this would not go down well with a lot of people) is that he had a tendency to play players out of their best positions. Think we might have heard that before!

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 532
moosey_club
December 28, 2019, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from jock dock tower
The thing is with this story is this

1. The club HAVE interviewed him. They would be aware of his modus operandi before doing so.

2. There seems to be precious little other news about possible contenders for the job.

3. If they now don't say "It's yours, Ian" they'll leave themselves wide open to accusations of not acting in the best interests of the club, perferring instead to take money out rather than investing in.

4. I understand that Macclesfield are in financial trouble, and Sol Campbell's wages might play a very small part in that (£180k) but their board took the view last season that they needed somebody with something to keep them up. He did that. Why would we settle for less?

1. I think you are giving our board too much credit there.
2. The club have all but stated AL is the man, reinforced by the trust statement. If he gets 4 points from the next two games or score draws he will cement the position.
3. As that is already their known position then what difference would one more example make ?
4. We actually pay bills, so if we hired Holloway or any other high profiler we can expect to actually pay the bill...which we dont have the funds for....increasing the burdon on you know who.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 532
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 28, 2019, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings

that first at Cheltenham we were like Brazil the rest of the tenure we were like braziers

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 532
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 28, 2019, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from darren9

This. Exactly.

I don’t think there is any real interest from either party for this deal.

The budget both for the managers salary and for player acquisition isn’t big enough for Holloway and with the club being up for sale I can’t see Fenty wanting to put any more in to get a name in the managers seat.

The story much like the Sol Campbell one last time we were manager less does benefit both parties.

For Holloway it gets his name mentioned and he’s in peoples minds again as a manager and not just a pundit. It’s almost reminding those in football that he is a manager and available.

For Grimsby it’s a statement of intent. We can say we looked at all candidates and that we tried to get a name in but we couldn’t get it over the line or we couldn’t get our ducks in a row or whatever. Or even that we decided that Limbrick was the cheaper preferred option due to his knowledge of the club, his ability to lift a cloud and the improved performances (or some other rubbish). The Holloway story also removes some of the pressure off Fenty. By having this out there it looks as though we’re actually considering what is best for the club rather than what is the bare minimum required.

I remain convinced that we’ll give Limbrick the job, will sell Max Wright and Mattie Pollock for £4.20 and a bag of footballs in January and replace them with a couple of completely underwhelming loan signings or journeymen and limp into a relegation battle come the end of the season.

Still, at least we’ve got a nice portacabin eh?

I hate optimists.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 532
dicko995
December 28, 2019, 11:08am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -249
Gold Stars: 21
It can be summed up in one word...………….. AMBITION.     Weve either got it, or we haven't, I fear the latter .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 532
Ipswin
December 28, 2019, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

It's been confirmed he had positive talks with the club last week Swin.
Time to get off that bench of negativity matey and hope this is for once of a ray of light that Fenty needs to try and turn the tide of apathy and distrust..

I was all excited and completely positive about Newell - say no flipping more!

At least Holloway has managed more than a Swedish subbuteo team and a bunch of bank employees

Just can't understand why for the life of me GTFC would appeal to him, not saying I'm not in favour but the Fishy is doing it again getting all excited and pushing one particular name forward

I'm still convinced Fenty appointed Jolley partly because of Fishy pressure and the tide of apathy and distrust you mention was turned at that point - look where it got us!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 532
54 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.