Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 221 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 113,227 views. Print
54 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
December 27, 2019, 7:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
We have got 2 home games coming up,

So that means Anthony has 2 games to keep the job.

I would have Holloway in a heartbeat but also want Limbrick to succeed ,

Maybe we could have them both,

Fenty will not pay the required salary so lets hope AL  can turns things round.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 532
mariner tommy
December 27, 2019, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
We have got 2 home games coming up,

So that means Anthony has 2 games to keep the job.

I would have Holloway in a heartbeat but also want Limbrick to succeed ,

Maybe we could have them both,

Fenty will not pay the required salary so lets hope AL  can turns things round.

Fully agree Pete.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 532
geir
December 27, 2019, 8:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

Poojah has done it again - writing a very reasonable article that convinces me that Holloway may be the one for the JOB.
I have wanted Limbrick to succeed for many reasons (points for GTFC for one, and the fact that he is a guy that it is easy to like), but as many on here have said: it`s a result-based business.

What convinces me is an argument said so eloquently in the text from Poojah: "There’s probably no doubt that of all realistic options, Holloway is the most decorated and highest profile. That doesn’t mean much in terms of influencing future accomplishments but it probably does at least help in terms of player recruitment. It gives players a reason to select Town as their employer."

And yes, I agree - We would raise our profile in the media, and we probably would get more bums on seats. And most important: when a player chooses a club, provided that the wages isn`t too far off his expectations... who wouldn`t like to be a part of a set-up with a well-known manager that have experience from the highest level of football? One who have been involved in several promotions? You should never underestimate the pulling power of a manager with a "name".

So, Mr. Poojah, you have sold me on this idea now - but everything must be Fenty`s decision - and I guess it`s not an easy one as there are no guarantees in football.
Let`s all hope it turns out for the best in the end!

UTM

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 532
forza ivano
December 27, 2019, 8:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Poojah
There’s no doubt that Holloway’s quirky, cheeky chappie image has given him a bigger profile than he’d otherwise have, however his achievements in management shouldn’t be overlooked.

He’s won promotion three times, twice to the Premier League including once with a massively unfancied Blackpool side under crackpot ownership (even if they hadn’t gone fully rogue at that point). You simply don’t do that without a modicum of managerial talent.

Aside from those achievements, his time at Plymouth was also very well regarded. His most recent appointments at Champiobship clubs Millwall and QPR are probably best described as unspectacular, but they weren’t disastrous.

Over the course of his career his win % averages out at around 36%, including two goes in the Premier League where win percentages are always likely to be on the low side. To give that some context, Paul Hurst’s win % here was around 50%, but that includes four successive play-off finishes in the non-league. I believe he’d improve on his last three predecessors.

There’s probably no doubt that of all realistic options, Holloway is the most decorated and highest profile. That doesn’t mean much in terms of influencing future accomplishments but it probably does at least help in terms of player recruitment. It gives players a reason to select Town as their employer. At the minute there’s very little in our favour - geography, money and facilities are almost all going to work against us when competing with the vast majority of other League Two sides.

At the outset, the list of names being bandied about were largely a mix of either unproven young managers or experienced, out of work journeymen. Holloway falls very much towards the latter end, but if (and for me it remains a big if) he were to end up here I’d be confident that he’d arrive full of hunger and a desire to achieve. Why else take it? Financially I doubt he needs it - he already has gainful employment in cushy TV and radio roles.

It would also strongly suggest that we’d made commitments in terms of investment in the squad and club infrastructure. Again, if not, why come?

In terms of lifting the club and community out of what seems like a never ending malaise, his character and general approach would work well for me. Of course he’s well media trained - it’s his job at this moment in time - but I do think he would ‘get’ Grimsby Town FC. That only carries you so far, and people have little time for attempts at humour or a charm offensive when you’re losing (as Marcus Bignot soon found out) but in the short-term at least Holloway’s appointment would lift people and that can’t be a bad thing.

Would it work out? Who the fúck knows? Will Ancelotti work at Everton? Arteta at Arsenal? Even at the top level where money is plentiful there are no guarantees, even less so in the basement. But if your only other option is a man whose football league record to date extends to a point and a goal every six games, it has to be the best way forward. Doesn’t it?

I can only echo geir.spot on Poojah just get the man in.We are heading for relegation anyway, how much worse can he do?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 532
Ipswin
December 27, 2019, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Before we all get excited about whether Fenty would give him the job or whether Holloway would be daft or hard up enough to take it how sure are we he's even applied?

There's desperate to get back into management and there's desperate enough to manage Grimsby Town, big difference

Can't see it myself

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 532
Northbank Mariner
December 27, 2019, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Ipswin
Before we all get excited about whether Fenty would give him the job or whether Holloway would be daft or hard up enough to take it how sure are we he's even applied?

There's desperate to get back into management and there's desperate enough to manage Grimsby Town, big difference

Can't see it myself

It's been confirmed he had positive talks with the club last week Swin.
Time to get off that bench of negativity matey and hope this is for once of a ray of light that Fenty needs to try and turn the tide of apathy and distrust..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 532
jock dock tower
December 27, 2019, 8:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Poojah

You’re completely right. I’m pulling figures out of the air, but if appointing Holloway would cost say £100k per year more versus Limbrick, you would cover the difference with roughly an additional 250 bums of seats per game.

Yeah, of course there are no guarantees but this is precisely the kind of calculated gamble we’ve not been very good at, or simply too risk averse to take at all.

I’m sure you could underwrite much of that risk by going with a low basic salary supplemented by really attractive performance bonuses, perhaps even linked to attendances. I don’t know for certain that this sort of thing isn’t already part of managers’ contracts here, but judging by the rudimentary way we approach things like season ticket incentives, I’d be surprised.

It's a very basic cost benefits analysis that any competent business ought to be be making time and time again with their business model. Next time someone at BP reads Cost Benefits Analysis for Idiots please read the chapter about employing competent CEOs as well. Is it too much to ask?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 532
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2019, 8:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Me too, and I don't think there is a will to land what would be a great coup for the club. He clearly wants to give the job to Anthony Limbrick which I find strange given his points and goals total while in the caretaker role. If Holloway somehow wants the job, it is a no brainer. This is a good club on it's knees, we need a lift. Limbrick won't do that, in fact attendances have been shocking. 2500 on a warm for the time of year Tuesday night not so long ago, not even 500 away on Boxing day for a localish game.

Get Holloway in and put thousands on the gate. Nothing against AL, but Holloway is simply a much better option for all sorts of reasons.

Agree with you here fella.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 532
jonnyboy82
December 27, 2019, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Holloway as gtfc manager would he a real real coup for the club.

If we manage to pull it off then mr fenty deserves all the credit in the world, we can really get behind the club.

Ian Holloway as our manager would be massive.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 532
arryarryarry
December 27, 2019, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from gaz57
Why interview someone when you know they won't be cheap if you have no intention to give him the job.

If he has applied for the job then I assume he does not expect a huge salary.

As a manager I have interviewed some who may be expecting more than we could afford, it was a see if they would accept a smaller salary, if they wouldn't they didn't get the job if they said they would it is still a balancing act to see if they would stay in the post if offered.

The best candidate is not always the one offered the position.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 532
54 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.