Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Ian Holloway

This thread currently has 113,096 views. Print
54 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
gaz57
December 27, 2019, 6:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Why interview someone when you know they won't be cheap if you have no intention to give him the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 532
Marinerz93
December 27, 2019, 6:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from gaz57
Why interview someone when you know they won't be cheap if you have no intention to give him the job.

Didn't that happen to Slade then he gave the job to Woodsy.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 532
moosey_club
December 27, 2019, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from gaz57

because the board can turn round in the future and say " we interviewed him/ offered him the job but he turned it down "

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 532
Northbank Mariner
December 27, 2019, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Cricklewoodmariner

What has Limbrick done to deserve any of that? The quicker he goes the better then maybe we can have a manger that can get a win out of our squad...

Tell you what he's done, he put square pegs back in square holes, got the team into sort of shape and not f@cked about with it...plus he's also got some form of confidence back into them that Jolley had kicked the life out of. ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 532
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2019, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from moosey_club

because the board can turn round in the future and say " we interviewed him/ offered him the job but he turned it down "

This in spades and it might just garner some interest from cheaper options

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 532
Poojah
December 27, 2019, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
There’s no doubt that Holloway’s quirky, cheeky chappie image has given him a bigger profile than he’d otherwise have, however his achievements in management shouldn’t be overlooked.

He’s won promotion three times, twice to the Premier League including once with a massively unfancied Blackpool side under crackpot ownership (even if they hadn’t gone fully rogue at that point). You simply don’t do that without a modicum of managerial talent.

Aside from those achievements, his time at Plymouth was also very well regarded. His most recent appointments at Champiobship clubs Millwall and QPR are probably best described as unspectacular, but they weren’t disastrous.

Over the course of his career his win % averages out at around 36%, including two goes in the Premier League where win percentages are always likely to be on the low side. To give that some context, Paul Hurst’s win % here was around 50%, but that includes four successive play-off finishes in the non-league. I believe he’d improve on his last three predecessors.

There’s probably no doubt that of all realistic options, Holloway is the most decorated and highest profile. That doesn’t mean much in terms of influencing future accomplishments but it probably does at least help in terms of player recruitment. It gives players a reason to select Town as their employer. At the minute there’s very little in our favour - geography, money and facilities are almost all going to work against us when competing with the vast majority of other League Two sides.

At the outset, the list of names being bandied about were largely a mix of either unproven young managers or experienced, out of work journeymen. Holloway falls very much towards the latter end, but if (and for me it remains a big if) he were to end up here I’d be confident that he’d arrive full of hunger and a desire to achieve. Why else take it? Financially I doubt he needs it - he already has gainful employment in cushy TV and radio roles.

It would also strongly suggest that we’d made commitments in terms of investment in the squad and club infrastructure. Again, if not, why come?

In terms of lifting the club and community out of what seems like a never ending malaise, his character and general approach would work well for me. Of course he’s well media trained - it’s his job at this moment in time - but I do think he would ‘get’ Grimsby Town FC. That only carries you so far, and people have little time for attempts at humour or a charm offensive when you’re losing (as Marcus Bignot soon found out) but in the short-term at least Holloway’s appointment would lift people and that can’t be a bad thing.

Would it work out? Who the fúck knows? Will Ancelotti work at Everton? Arteta at Arsenal? Even at the top level where money is plentiful there are no guarantees, even less so in the basement. But if your only other option is a man whose football league record to date extends to a point and a goal every six games, it has to be the best way forward. Doesn’t it?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 532
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2019, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Poojah
There’s no doubt that Holloway’s quirky, cheeky chappie image has given him a bigger profile than he’d otherwise have, however his achievements in management shouldn’t be overlooked.

He’s won promotion three times, twice to the Premier League including once with a massively unfancied Blackpool side under crackpot ownership (even if they hadn’t gone fully rogue at that point). You simply don’t do that without a modicum of managerial talent.

Aside from those achievements, his time at Plymouth was also very well regarded. His most recent appointments at Champiobship clubs Millwall and QPR are probably best described as unspectacular, but they weren’t disastrous.

Over the course of his career his win % averages out at around 36%, including two goes in the Premier League where win percentages are always likely to be on the low side. To give that some context, Paul Hurst’s win % here was around 50%, but that includes four successive play-off finishes in the non-league. I believe he’d improve on his last three predecessors.

There’s probably no doubt that of all realistic options, Holloway is the most decorated and highest profile. That doesn’t mean much in terms of influencing future accomplishments but it probably does at least help in terms of player recruitment. It gives players a reason to select Town as their employer. At the minute there’s very little in our favour - geography, money and facilities are almost all going to work against us when competing with the vast majority of other League Two sides.

At the outset, the list of names being bandied about were largely a mix of either unproven young managers or experienced, out of work journeymen. Holloway falls very much towards the latter end, but if (and for me it remains a big if) he were to end up here I’d be confident that he’d arrive full of hunger and a desire to achieve. Why else take it? Financially I doubt he needs it - he already has gainful employment in cushy TV and radio roles.

It would also strongly suggest that we’d made commitments in terms of investment in the squad and club infrastructure. Again, if not, why come?

In terms of lifting the club and community out of what seems like a never ending malaise, his character and general approach would work well for me. Of course he’s well media trained - it’s his job at this moment in time - but I do think he would ‘get’ Grimsby Town FC. That only carries you so far, and people have little time for attempts at humour or a charm offensive when you’re losing (as Marcus Bignot soon found out) but in the short-term at least Holloway’s appointment would lift people and that can’t be a bad thing.

Would it work out? Who the fúck knows? Will Ancelotti work at Everton? Arteta at Arsenal? Even at the top level where money is plentiful there are no guarantees, even less so in the basement. But if your only other option is a man whose football league record to date extends to a point and a goal every six games, it has to be the best way forward. Doesn’t it?

I lack so much faith in our current leadership that I just can’t believe JF could land this.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 532
TwoLeftFeet
December 27, 2019, 7:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Still unsure on the Holloway love in on here, like watching him on TV.. his record in the past is impressive tho recent history not so great. How come he's been out of work 18 months?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 532
fishboyUTM
December 27, 2019, 7:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I lack so much faith in our current leadership that I just can’t believe JF could land this.

Me too, and I don't think there is a will to land what would be a great coup for the club. He clearly wants to give the job to Anthony Limbrick which I find strange given his points and goals total while in the caretaker role. If Holloway somehow wants the job, it is a no brainer. This is a good club on it's knees, we need a lift. Limbrick won't do that, in fact attendances have been shocking. 2500 on a warm for the time of year Tuesday night not so long ago, not even 500 away on Boxing day for a localish game.

Get Holloway in and put thousands on the gate. Nothing against AL, but Holloway is simply a much better option for all sorts of reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 532
Poojah
December 27, 2019, 7:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Me too, and I don't think there is a will to land what would be a great coup for the club. He clearly wants to give the job to Anthony Limbrick which I find strange given his points and goals total while in the caretaker role. If Holloway somehow wants the job, it is a no brainer. This is a good club on it's knees, we need a lift. Limbrick won't do that, in fact attendances have been shocking. 2500 on a warm for the time of year Tuesday night not so long ago, not even 500 away on Boxing day for a localish game.

Get Holloway in and put thousands on the gate. Nothing against AL, but Holloway is simply a much better option for all sorts of reasons.

You’re completely right. I’m pulling figures out of the air, but if appointing Holloway would cost say £100k per year more versus Limbrick, you would cover the difference with roughly an additional 250 bums of seats per game.

Yeah, of course there are no guarantees but this is precisely the kind of calculated gamble we’ve not been very good at, or simply too risk averse to take at all.

I’m sure you could underwrite much of that risk by going with a low basic salary supplemented by really attractive performance bonuses, perhaps even linked to attendances. I don’t know for certain that this sort of thing isn’t already part of managers’ contracts here, but judging by the rudimentary way we approach things like season ticket incentives, I’d be surprised.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 532
54 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.