3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
December 25, 2019, 5:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I work with a bloke who supports Shamrock Rovers - and you think we've got it bad.  He said they had a lad who was having a goal drought. The coach took him aside and put him in front of goal without a keeper from 6 yards and he passed it to him for hours and the guy would smash it in the net. Then he would move him further out and do the same until he could see the net ripple from any angle.  Then he added a keeper.  He got so used to see the onion bag bulge he got back on the score sheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
fishboyUTM
December 25, 2019, 6:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mayaman
I work with a bloke who supports Shamrock Rovers - and you think we've got it bad.  He said they had a lad who was having a goal drought. The coach took him aside and put him in front of goal without a keeper from 6 yards and he passed it to him for hours and the guy would smash it in the net. Then he would move him further out and do the same until he could see the net ripple from any angle.  Then he added a keeper.  He got so used to see the onion bag bulge he got back on the score sheet.

Interesting, if a little patronising. ha.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
promotion plaice
December 25, 2019, 6:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

If we score a goal against Macclesfield I'll happily run around BP naked next home game with a sausage up.....naaah

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Mayaman
December 26, 2019, 1:37am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We couldn't have kept Bogle who should now be set up for life despite not really pushing on. Amond was different, though I hear he was pushing for a move pretty much as soon as he signed. I also hear we did agree a contract with him then changed the terms of the deal.

Anyway, we have Akeem Rose who doesn't look up to it IMO, Matt Green, on his way down, couldn't get a game in the National league last season who is 33 next week despite giving his all, he is fading, 32 year old James Hanson who is arguably past his best, and 23 year old Harry Cardwell who it's fair to say hasn't set the world alight (some may be surprised he isn't a kid).

My point is signing these players are conscious decisions taken by Michael Jolley. In fairness, all are giving their all, Green and Hanson are knocking on a bit, and we haven't exactly played to Hanson's strengths, he's been carrying knocks for a while.  

I have a lot of time for Akeem Rose in particular who gives everything, the jury is out on his abiity, but he isn't far away. Fortunately, we have Charles Vernam who I really think can be quality for us, he was excellent last game v the filth, it's fair to say he needs to step up now. Playing him wide won't help.

We need two new strikers, simple as that due to poor and short sighted signing policy.

I do think Akheem Rose has got something but it needs nurturing.  At the moment, he's still a bit like "Run Forrest, run".   IMO, I don't think Hanson's heart is in it.  He looks jaded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Mayaman
December 26, 2019, 1:40am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah but they were all 'easy' goals- he couldn't score against decent sides. Always scores against us though.  

Maybe, he made them look easy. He was always in the right place at teh right time.  Sign of a good striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
golfer
December 26, 2019, 7:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Mayaman

I saw Town forwards doing the same from 6 yards as I passed their training ground, when I came past 3hours later they were all celebrating-they had just scored their first goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
The_Chief
December 26, 2019, 1:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
The initials of our next goalscorer ....

o.g
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scoring a goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.