2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
December 14, 2019, 9:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Town thoroughly deserved a point today. Defensively very solid and restricted Carlisle to no shots on target.

First half could and should have been 2 goals clear by half time. Hit the woodwork twice, 'goal' disallowed, a man through on goal messed up chance, and a Carlisle mess up resulting in close shot wrong side of the post. Carlisle hit the bar once with a strike that deserved a goal.

Collectively, all of the team were very motivated and organised, I felt, and playing for the temporary manager, who from my close position, was nicely animated and liaising constantly with Dave Moore and Ben Davies.

My expectations for this game were exceeded and, if this type of performance persists, Town should be able to be clear of bottom spot.

UTM  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
December 14, 2019, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Teestogreen
Town thoroughly deserved a point today. Defensively very solid and restricted Carlisle to no shots on target.

First half could and should have been 2 goals clear by half time. Hit the woodwork twice, 'goal' disallowed, a man through on goal messed up chance, and a Carlisle mess up resulting in close shot wrong side of the post. Carlisle hit the bar once with a strike that deserved a goal.

Collectively, all of the team were very motivated and organised, I felt, and playing for the temporary manager, who from my close position, was nicely animated and liaising constantly with Dave Moore and Ben Davies.

My expectations for this game were exceeded and, if this type of performance persists, Town should be able to be clear of bottom spot.

UTM  

All very good but but there's still no goals...and I cannot for the life of me see where the next goals coming from....just hoping we break this duck next weekend but not holding my breath...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Vance Warner
December 14, 2019, 10:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Entertaining game. They were really poor and were there for the taking. Our best players were the centre halves and the 3 in midfield. Makes us relatively solid but short of creativity. We don’t get enough bodies in the box and when we do the movement is non existent. You won’t get goals by marking defenders. It’s time for a new manager or I fear for next weekend. Having said that Carlisle have made a big gamble with their recent appointment and on today’s showing it’s not started well. A big appointment that we need to get right. All the talk of AB getting involved which I don’t agree with but put him on an interview panel and he’d contribute more than the rest of the board put together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
fishboyUTM
December 14, 2019, 11:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Carlisle were absolutely shocking. The ball was bouncing off their players, their second touch usually a tackle. I think we've actually found a worse team than ourselves. We should have won the game but finishing was woeful. I'm a big fan of Charles Vernam but even I think it's time he delivered. He had three chances that I remember, missed a sitter when caught in two minds, he'd just come on, one where he should have put it across the keeper but hit the side netting and a scuffed effort that went wide tamely. I'd persist with him, Hanson seems to be breaking down a lot.

We have some sort of shape now, and a game plan of sorts which is more than could be seen under MJ's stewardship. And in general, we're trying to play the game the right way. JF clearly wants to give the job to AL, for financial reasons no doubt. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know Carlisle were absolutely shite and we couldn't beat the worst team we've played this season, they had chances too and we could have lost. Is that no goals in six? Fourteen winless? Beyond pathetic and tiresome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Teestogreen
December 15, 2019, 12:16am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Carlisle were absolutely shocking. The ball was bouncing off their players, their second touch usually a tackle. I think we've actually found a worse team than ourselves. We should have won the game but finishing was woeful. I'm a big fan of Charles Vernam but even I think it's time he delivered. He had three chances that I remember, missed a sitter when caught in two minds, he'd just come on, one where he should have put it across the keeper but hit the side netting and a scuffed effort that went wide tamely. I'd persist with him, Hanson seems to be breaking down a lot.

We have some sort of shape now, and a game plan of sorts which is more than could be seen under MJ's stewardship. And in general, we're trying to play the game the right way. JF clearly wants to give the job to AL, for financial reasons no doubt. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know Carlisle were absolutely shite and we couldn't beat the worst team we've played this season, they had chances too and we could have lost. Is that no goals in six? Fourteen winless? Beyond pathetic and tiresome.

Exactly - which is why I believe that the current management personnel should be encouraged to continue with their duties. Player personnel is a different issue - we need better strikers than we have (immediately).

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
fishboyUTM
December 15, 2019, 1:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

Exactly - which is why I believe that the current management personnel should be encouraged to continue with their duties. Player personnel is a different issue - we need better strikers than we have (immediately).

UTM

I'm not entirely convinced he should be given more time, but I can see a pattern of play which I genuinely couldn't see under Jolley. But we haven't won any of his four (I think four) games or scored any goals. It's a hard sell for a caretaker. I'm also quite confident that the next manager would be a dead man walking pretty much straight away, we have deeper problems than the team manager and until it changes at the top, I'm pretty much past caring, but I still care if that makes sense?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
monkeyboy
December 15, 2019, 6:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Thought we played alright to be fair, just the all important finish needed. it will come.
So while Limberick has been in command we have had 3 decent performances and on bad one against the top of the league team.

We will be fine, i would imagine there will be an odd loan signing possibly come January.

I think the Scunny match will decide Limbericks future, then at least either way if gives him or his successor a week or so to plan before the window opens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
fishcake63
December 15, 2019, 6:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
well not sure where to start , i'm confused how we only walked away with a draw in the first half alone we had enough chances to win 3 games , i dislike having a go at players but our strikers need to do much better easy chance's must be dispatched , on a positive our back four all played well giving max protection to macca , let's hope we're saving all our goals up for the scunts next week , hats off to the other 216 faithful as well , my prediction for next week don't all laugh at once 3-2 to mariners in a classic  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Madeleymariner
December 15, 2019, 9:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm not entirely convinced he should be given more time, but I can see a pattern of play which I genuinely couldn't see under Jolley. But we haven't won any of his four (I think four) games or scored any goals. It's a hard sell for a caretaker. I'm also quite confident that the next manager would be a dead man walking pretty much straight away, we have deeper problems than the team manager and until it changes at the top, I'm pretty much past caring, but I still care if that makes sense?!

Exactly, just like when Woods took temp charge, cant win cant score not playing badly most of the time so lets appoint him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
fishboyUTM
December 15, 2019, 9:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Exactly, just like when Woods took temp charge, cant win cant score not playing badly most of the time so lets appoint him.

Yep, there are worrying parallels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 15, 2019, 12:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
In a microcosm it is like pretending Charles Vernam is a good striker. Plays neat, looks the part but where’s the pay off?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
nightrider
December 15, 2019, 12:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I don't think the question is whether AL has done well enough. More like is there somebody who could do better?
After the last 15years, I'm not convinced

I wonder whether Hanson is burnt out?! Running round like a mad man in pre season

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Teestogreen
December 15, 2019, 8:46pm

Champagne Drinker
James Hanson will be very disappointed he did not bury the headed chance in hitting the post - and going off with what appeared to be an ankle injury in the first half, is the team's loss.
Matt Green's substitution around the hour not a good indicator of 'petrol in the engine'.

Charles Vernam and Ahkeem Rose seem to enjoy running from deep - Vernam 2 or 3 times and Rose once (all of this looked good but came to nothing). May have been that support not available to continue moves, as going for a point in the last half hour the preferred option.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
arryarryarry
December 15, 2019, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
In a microcosm it is like pretending Charles Vernam is a good striker. Plays neat, looks the part but where’s the pay off?

You could say that about nearly all our strikers at the moment.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.