4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
December 13, 2019, 1:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Just wondering what people’s thoughts were on James Hanson so far,

After the first 5 games of the season with 5 goals and 3 assists his form his really plummeted especially with no goals in 15 or so games since,

Do you think he deserves to keep his first team place?
Is the return in goals tally minus the first 5 games good enough?
Should we try something new with maybe Ogbu in middle and Vernam/Green/Wright wither said in a front 3?

Me personally am disappointed after a great start he made, fair enough the service has been poor but in between them games
His missed a penalty and a few really good chances and should at least have a few more goals upto now, if this was Cardwell we would be moaning like mad for him to be dropped in my opinion,

That’s my opinion though
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
December 13, 2019, 2:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
We don't play to his strengths. We hoist it to his head to flick on but don't support him. At the beginning of the season we got the ball wide and put good crosses in to him. That's when he was at his best. Unless we change our formation he is wasted playing with his back to goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
Mayaman
December 13, 2019, 3:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,386
Gold Stars: 73
six of one, half a dozen of the other.  He really hasn't had service and when he does get the ball with his back to goal he needs support to be able to lay the ball off.   On the flip side, his head does go down easily and hence his workrate. To sum up , not really his fault and you can see he's a versatile player but his lack of interest irks me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
grimsby pete
December 13, 2019, 4:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
The problem was Jolley changed the formations and players that often even after we had a good win .

Nobody really knew what they were supposed to do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
AussieMariner
December 13, 2019, 5:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mayaman
six of one, half a dozen of the other.  He really hasn't had service and when he does get the ball with his back to goal he needs support to be able to lay the ball off.   On the flip side, his head does go down easily and hence his workrate. To sum up , not really his fault and you can see he's a versatile player but his lack of interest irks me.

Have you actually watched him play? I've been amazed at his willingness to chase lost causes and continue to put in a shift when he'd have every right to just shrug his shoulders at the lack of decent service or support.
For me his dip in form happened when other teams started to put two and sometimes three men on him. What should happen then is that other players exploit the space but we just haven't been good enough to take advantage. It reminds me a bit of when teams swamped Dembele (obviously a different style of player but similar example of having more ability than the players around him).
So on balance maybe put him on the bench for a while so that we have more balance and are less tempted to punt it long just because he's there. Then bring him on fresh when defenders start to tire, and give them a new problem to deal with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Codswede
December 13, 2019, 6:41pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
He is so much more than just a target man, probably the best player on the team with his feet as well as his head... The limited possession we have had in any game for months means that the front 3 are redundant every game. As mentioned above, when we played to his strengths we were at the right end of the table, but I really believe we allowed ourselves to be sucked into the hype about the statistics of 'aerial duels won' and 'goals from set pieces' and allowed those to define our style of play.

10 players on the team I'd drop before Hanson at the minute.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
Northbank Mariner
December 13, 2019, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Every game I've seen Hanson play the one thing you cannot fault is his work ethic.
He never stops running, chasing balls down, trying to press keepers, defenders in the vain hope he'll get something from it.
Other team sussed us out very quickly by putting one man Infront and one behind Hanson yet Macca still pumps the ball aimlessly up to him
It must be as frustrating for him as it is for us watching hoof ball, time to get the ball to his feet, let him hold up play and bring others into the game.
The man can bulky defenders but needs some assistance off his team mates!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
livosnose
December 13, 2019, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
If we play to his strengths and give him the right service we will fly up the table. Case example the Matt Green cross for him against Walsall , no keeper on the planet saves that header.  Cast your minds back to last season how many did Hendrie put on Wes Thomas's head , that for me has been what we have missed as he was played out of position then injured.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
1mickylyons
December 13, 2019, 9:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
A player with his attributes needs crosses from out wide to attack and plenty of them he seldom gets anything like that just straight balls to battle for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Mendonca1995
December 14, 2019, 7:32am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Runs his heart out feeds off scraps all game watching long high balls come to him, if I was him I would be pretty p*%sed off with the lack of service, thrived off crosses into the box early season so what’s changed ?

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › James Hanson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.