Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A reality check
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 313 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 11.

A reality check

This thread currently has 7,564 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
December 10, 2019, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from tintowner
We could/will possibly be third bottom on saturday (after the Carlisle  loss).

Scunthorpe could then boast of sending us to the bottom of the league.

....or am I just being too much of a defeatist.

The title of the thread is "A reality check"... you've summed it up nicely imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
TownSNAFU5
December 10, 2019, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
In response to the  question above, my dad went to many games throughout the 1930s.  He told me earlier this year that he particularly remembers the record attendance v Wolves (31,651) which was 1936 I think. (God knows what the queues were like at HT for the toilets).

At the above game, when he was 11, he was selling matches and chocolates to fans in the Barratt Stand.  He had a “tray”, similar to what they used to have in cinemas during the break.

The chocolates came from Betmead’s Chocolate shop, which was near the ground. Betmead was part of our famous trilogy of Hall, Betmead and Buck.

He said that the crowd were so densely-packed in that orders and money were passed down to my dad at the front. The matches or chocolates and change were then passed back up the stand.  Their was a lot of trust then.  He said he made a £100 that day, although this a lot of money for the time.

Selling matches in a wooden stand for all the smokers does not bare thinking about.  These days you could run down to the front of the stand, given the small attendances.

He has died since telling me the above.  I had not heard the story before so it was good to hear.  At least he does not have to put up with the current dire performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
louth_in_the_south
December 10, 2019, 9:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Town have been through equally dire patches in their history. The problem the club have now is that there is far more things for people to do on a Saturday so if they drift away they’re lost and so are future generations. The negative effects of social media is also a real threat to the fanbase that weren’t there 50 years ago .
Time to wake up GTFC and back the next manager instead of this penny pinching austerity.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
Kris2
December 10, 2019, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
I think the reality is that all those clubs you mentioned are our future. We are probably on the way to being the next Stockport and tumbling down the leagues, they used to be in the same position as us years ago punching above their weight. We  are looking worse and worse each season, an endless number of players and managers through a revolving door. How many seasons will we barely scrape survival in League Two at the end of the season?

We should probably concentrate on our own problems instead of saying "at least we aren't so and so!".
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2019, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I can’t believe our proud club and even prouder fans are prepared to put up with, or worse, to justify our mediocrity. Enough said.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 11, 2019, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
It would be interesting to know what the board see as a good season.

* operating at break even
* mid table
* decent cup run
* majority share holder pocketing £250k
* selling youth players
* not getting relegated

Genuine question!

The apathy is quite obvious at the moment and there is a huge divide being created between the club and the supporters which needs to be addressed. I know people that are missing games for the first time in years because of what is happening.

It's obvious that the club needs a kick up the bottom at the moment before gates dwindle even more. You can't polish a turd but at least stick some glitter on it  

They may not want to address the elephant in the room, but he's sat there with a pina colada watching on

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
jock dock tower
December 11, 2019, 10:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The board will point to the finances and claim they're doing their job. If only there was a spark of anything there that could stimulate fans, bring back those who no longer attend, but there isn't. Not a sausage.

We're not terminally ill yet, but we're definitely heading for life support without something radical happening. I used to get depressed seeing the results coming in when I got back my adopted team, now I hear them and think that's yet another defeat, and don't even care about it. This club is slowly, but surely, being deprived of the oxygen of life.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
golfer
December 11, 2019, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Says so much when you see how few people are on the Fishy...the clubs killing the fans...thus board needs to wake up to the reality of the situation before it's too late...that's if it isn't already for most right now

Fishy fans started dropping away lunch time Feb 21    2018      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
Malta_Mariner_90
December 11, 2019, 12:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Kris2
I think the reality is that all those clubs you mentioned are our future. We are probably on the way to being the next Stockport and tumbling down the leagues, they used to be in the same position as us years ago punching above their weight. We  are looking worse and worse each season, an endless number of players and managers through a revolving door. How many seasons will we barely scrape survival in League Two at the end of the season?

We should probably concentrate on our own problems instead of saying "at least we aren't so and so!".

I think what makes it worse for us is that we can all see this eventual doomsday scenario coming if nothing changes soon. I think Stockport, Chesterfield and to some extent York's falls were far more sudden. Both Stockport and Chesterfield went from L1 to the bottom of the conference in a very short time. Seeing how long it took Stockport to get out of the National North is a scary prospect.

We have an owner who openly admits he just wants to get out. Yet at the same time it seems to be taking him forever to find the right non-tyre kicker to sell to.

On the playing side we are getting closer to the relegation zone, we cannot score goals, we have a shaky at best defence, no wingers and have zero confidence. Yet Fenty seemingly is not too bothered about appointing a new manager at all let alone one with sufficent experience and skill which is what we really need right now.

Should history repeat itself and we somehow manage to get relegated again I shudder to think where we will end up, if we will even exist. Maybe it would be for the best, the longer Fenty has been here the less it has felt "my club". In a perverse sort of way getting to be part of a Phoenix Town which would be 100% owned by us supporters sounds appealing to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
golfer
December 14, 2019, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Things might not be as bad as they seem-A lot of Newport players are down with MUMPS- if Town players had caught mumps at the end of August and this had not been diagnosed it could explain the way Town have been playing. One of the symptoms of mumps is that it feels like your balls are dragging on the ground and this seems to fit Towns symptoms
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A reality check

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.