carrot top
December 10, 2019, 10:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
Last paragraph from CA Monday diary

''I can’t remember being any more demoralised than I am now, and that includes relegation in 2010. At least then I was resolute in thinking: I’m not going to abandon them now, not when my team needs support more than ever. Now, only a change of ownership is going to make a sustained difference.

UTM! Fenty Out!''

Couldn't agree more

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
December 10, 2019, 11:09am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Devaluation of product now completed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
diehardmariner
December 10, 2019, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,071
Gold Stars: 518
The most worrying thing is the complete apathy towards the club as a whole.

Less than six months ago there seemed a real passion again for the club.  What looked a decent summer of recruitment, the prospect of a new owner and movement on the new stadium.

I guess you can only get kicked as a fan base so many times before you just don't care anymore.

The CA article nails it.  When we've been so poor before I've at least felt anger or frustration.  Now I just don't care.  I've been a season ticket holder since I was five or six.  I've had to miss games before due to other commitments but they were always few and far between, at a guess I'd say I've missed a dozen home games in the last 30 years and it was always a wrench when I had to.

The Cheltenham game I just didn't go, that's the first time I've done that.  I had other plans that were made before the rearranged date was announced but I could have changed them - quite easily.  I gave my season ticket stub away and didn't regret it for a second.  The Swindon game I went to with a false sense of renewed optimism that disappeared within the first five minutes.  The only reaction I had was of disappointment that I'd wasted an afternoon.  There was no anger at the performance, no frustration at how poor we are.  Nothing.  

I don't even want to go to the Scunny game.  If anything I'm dreading it.  
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
marinerdazza
December 10, 2019, 12:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
There's been something in the air ever since the low key season ticket sales push and the belated/muted call to arms from Jolley, which was the most unconvincing thing I've heard from him -  something along the lines of "We're going to go for it this year", which came across in the style of a man who couldn't quite read the autocue. I'd forgotten about it by the Port Vale game where we looked like we'd score every time we got the ball.

I keep using the PV game as a reference point because I still can't quite grasp that we're here now. Although after 40 years of this I shouldn't be surprised.

It's rotten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
SomeSanity
December 10, 2019, 12:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
The whole off-field side of Grimsby Town Football Club needs freshening up.

The same people doing the same things for nye-on two decades. To quote JF himself, it's beggars belief.

We all know JF isn't responsible for the day to day running of this football club. So people who are need to held equally responsible, maybe even more so. These actions have a knock-on effect. The way GTFC goes about it's business holds the club back.

There are other clubs in our predicament that also have no inward investment, and yet, and yet, manage to progress both on and off the pitch Why aren't we?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Rodley Mariner
December 10, 2019, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Of course JF is responsible for the day to day running of the club. He may need to hold other people responsible and manage it accordingly but ultimately the buck stops with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
FishOutOfWater
December 10, 2019, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from SomeSanity

The same people doing the same things for nye-on two decades. To quote JF himself, it's beggars belief.

We all know JF isn't responsible for the day to day running of this football club. So people who are need to held equally responsible, maybe even more so. These actions have a knock-on effect. The way GTFC goes about it's business holds the club back.

There are other clubs in our predicament that also have no inward investment, and yet, and yet, manage to progress both on and off the pitch Why aren't we?

So who exactly is then ??

He's made the appointments and he surely dicates policy and procedure

I admit that then it's up to others how they do their individual jobs ( a bit like the coach sending out his players to perform to a plan ) but to say JF isn't responsible for the way things are baffles me  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 19
Barrattstander
December 10, 2019, 12:52pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +867
Gold Stars: 14
Fenty may not be responsible for every aspect of running the club but he is accountable for everything that has happened since he gained control.

He is not a leader, he won't even accept the responsibility of being a chairman.

The club is moribund and needs a large injection of energy, enthusiasm and creativeness throughout the whole operation otherwise we will further descend the downward spiral we have been in since Fenty took over.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
fishboyUTM
December 10, 2019, 12:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Was going to type out a rousing explaination of how gutted I am, how sick of it I am. But I haven't even got that in me. I think I'm done. I'm just numb to it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
SomeSanity
December 10, 2019, 1:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So who exactly is then ??

He's made the appointments and he surely dicates policy and procedure

I admit that then it's up to others how they do their individual jobs ( a bit like the coach sending out his players to perform to a plan ) but to say JF isn't responsible for the way things are baffles me  

In terms of first team managerial appointments of course JF is responsible for that but how often does he do that? Every 18 months give or take.

Yes he sets the playing budget.... but it’s supplemented by the income of the club. He appointed his management team and they in turn appoint their friends family and neighbours. I totally agree the buck stops with JF but the there are others to blame too

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
FishOutOfWater
December 10, 2019, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from SomeSanity

In terms of first team managerial appointments of course JF is responsible for that but how often does he do that? Every 18 months give or take.

Yes he sets the playing budget.... but it’s supplemented by the income of the club. He appointed his management team and they in turn appoint their friends family and neighbours. I totally agree the buck stops with JF but the there are others to blame too

I'm sorry but if it comes to just having a friends and family culture then there is no wonder GTFC come across as unprofessional in so many ways

If the Chief Exec of a company washes his hands of his management and says he wasn't responsible for who they then appoint, to me that's the ultimate kop out

I've not got a position of any power in my company and never have been but I do know for a fact that ultimately the head honcho is the one where the buck stops.... if they're not in control of what goes on below them, then what purpose does that chief have? My bosses make sure I deliver what is expected and if I don't then they have the ultimate sanction in their hands
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 19
TownSNAFU5
December 10, 2019, 1:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
There is also complete apathy shown by the club to fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
carrot top
December 10, 2019, 1:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
I have followed Town since 1967 and I can't believe how apathetic I have become recently. Just sick and tired of this current regime who clearly does not give a stuff about the fans. If JF really cared about the club he would leave the £250K where it is each year. Please just go

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
December 10, 2019, 1:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from SomeSanity

I thought one of the most salient points about Fenty is that he is TOO involved in the day to day running of the club.

We all know the sort - you are in constant fear of doing owt without worrying that what you do will be frowned on for some reason, by the person with all the power.

The club is basically a one man show; he owns the club and he does what he likes with it.

Of course, this also means he has to take  responsibility for what has gone wrong. I think it is fair to say it hasn't gone as well as we all hoped.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Rik e B
December 10, 2019, 2:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I don't think the idea of sacking ('freshening up') all the admin staff would have the desired effect. All the new staff, even if have fresh ideas would still be made to work under the same operational methods.

We need systemic change starting from the very top, the root of it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
SomeSanity
December 10, 2019, 2:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
I don't think the idea of sacking ('freshening up') all the admin staff would have the desired effect. All the new staff, even if have fresh ideas would still be made to work under the same operational methods.

We need systemic change starting from the very top, the root of it all.

Bar one or two It's been largely the same lot for two decades. At some point in those 20 years most members of that office staff have had their family members work at the club. It's almost as if this club is a monarchy and 'us normal folk'.

My point is, if these roles are never advertised, is the right person with the right skills ever appointed? In my opinion, this is as much the problem as the lack of inward investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
devs
December 10, 2019, 4:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
I am totally in couldn't care less mode
I make 60 mile round trip and on Saturday was faced with going on my own
I had two tickets from season ticket holders who couldn't go
I asked FIVE friends if they fancied it (even using top of table team as my biggest selling point) but no takers
I found myself replying "Wise choice"!

I stayed at home - another wise choice

Saw another mate on Friday - he's a big Imps fan and has done the hard yards over the years with them - I told him it was so poor I'd happily settle for losing a thrilling end to end 3-2 game cos at least I'd have been entertained

Can't recall the last time I walked away buzzing from a Mariners match?

I loved non league compared to this - we won more than we lost; the soap opera narrative was great...every match won was like a double boost for getting back in the league - every game lost was a major disaster; I could relate and connect to Dizza, Pearson, Podge, Arnold, Gowling et al

Since Hurst left it has been a spiral into nothingness - we were 8th when he went and looked a very solid L2 team...and the rest is history

I could happily settle (given our budget etc) for L2 mid table as long as there was some entertainment along the way, some thrilling games, chances created (they are as rare as rocking horse excrement) - instead of this chess on grass and so little innovation, risk taking and just utterly boring football

The matchday experience is tired and crap as well

I hate being like this but many on here feel the same way - it does get to you in the end

My loyalty and presence at the BP next season hangs in the balance - not too bothered about having success (play offs I guess) just please give me something to get me out of my seat!

I think that is a long way off at the minute
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Northbank Mariner
December 10, 2019, 4:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from devs
I asked FIVE friends if they fancied it (even using top of table team as my biggest selling point) but no takers

Saw another mate on Friday - he's a big Imps fan and has done the hard yards over the years with them - I told him it was so poor I'd happily settle for losing a thrilling end to end 3-2 game cos at least I'd have been entertained

I loved non league compared to this - we won more than we lost; the soap opera narrative was great...every match won was like a double boost for getting back in the league - every game lost was a major disaster; I could relate and connect to Dizza, Pearson, Podge, Arnold, Gowling et al

Since Hurst left it has been a spiral into nothingness - we were 8th when he went and looked a very solid L2 team...and the rest is history

I could happily settle (given our budget etc) for L2 mid table as long as there was some entertainment along the way, some thrilling games, chances created (they are as rare as rocking horse excrement) - instead of this chess on grass and so little innovation, risk taking and just utterly boring football

I hate being like this but many on here feel the same way - it does get to you in the end

My loyalty and presence at the BP next season hangs in the balance - not too bothered about having success (play offs I guess) just please give me something to get me out of my seat!

And to that end, we need a manager that gets us excited, one who shows passion, one who you can hear rollicking the players during the game and also praising them too.
Limbrick seems a nice bloke but I've seen more life in a tramps vest than he shows when on the side line...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
December 10, 2019, 4:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from devs

A lot of us feel like that and you have summed it up pretty well.

Regarding the match day experience, I wonder if we all might club together and bribe the match day announcer? Instead of the pre match "lets make some noise for the boys..." rubbish, I wonder if we can get him to say - "we are all Town fans together, and we all want the best for the club, so lets hear it, everyone join in....WE WANT FENTY OUT, SAY WE WANT FENTY OUT."

That would be quite nice, ringing round the ground. For the Scunthorpe game their fans could join in the fun and banter by singing "WE WANT FENTY IN, SAY WE WANT FENTY IN..."  

That would inject some much needed atmosphere.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Rik e B
December 10, 2019, 4:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from SomeSanity

Bar one or two It's been largely the same lot for two decades. At some point in those 20 years most members of that office staff have had their family members work at the club. It's almost as if this club is a monarchy and 'us normal folk'.

My point is, if these roles are never advertised, is the right person with the right skills ever appointed? In my opinion, this is as much the problem as the lack of inward investment.

Okay, good/fair point.

Nepotism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cod Almighty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.