Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Robbie Stockdale. What do we think?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 260 Guests

Robbie Stockdale. What do we think?

This thread currently has 10,373 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2019, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from buckstown
Blaming the teams lack of confidence on the fans is like blaming the customers for the demise of Woolworths.
The customers stopped going because the products were poor and overpriced, and those who did go complained bitterly to the staff who lost confidence.
Like most failures it's down to poor leadership, poor strategy and poor execution

Most business failures are down to the leaders not learning from previous mistakes. Can't remember who said it but 'If you carry on doing what you're doing, you'll continue to be what you are' seems very appropriate.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
pen penfras
December 10, 2019, 2:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Most business failures are down to the leaders not learning from previous mistakes. Can't remember who said it but 'If you carry on doing what you're doing, you'll continue to be what you are' seems very appropriate.

That's true, but most businesses have a completely different gauge of success to football. If you thought of GTFC as a business and compared us to our peers, we're doing ok in that we are financially stable, ceratainly more so than most other football clubs. The problem is we are consistently rubbish on the pitch. I have no idea why that is if the budget is indeed "competitive". Something must cause that spiral, and ginny referred to something about us going on so many bad runs, and it's true. I don't know why we seem to have these long periods without wins, but something is clearly amiss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 10, 2019, 2:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

Years of watching football has taught me never to judge a team for the first dozen games. Some will start well and fade as we have. Some start poorly, then pick up as the season progresses. A handful start well and stay consistent throughout. We started well under Hurst, Slade and Jolley, then reverted to type. There is a pattern to it, with the difference being that we seem to spiral downwards and keep going. I've never known a team have such prolonged bad spells so frequently. This club sucks the life out of managers and players alike but now the life is draining from the fans too.

The comment re bad runs is the one that most resonates with me and I cant think of any other club who for three seasons on the bounce have a long stretch of games without winning a game and a consistent failure to score goals, why is it repeating itself with different players each season? There has to be more to this than managers and players as these have been different each time it’s occurred which leads us back to the whole way the club is run and administered.

Lincoln now have LNER sponsorship for naming rights to their ground, Macclesfield appear to have identified a new owner in weeks rather than years whereas we go four weeks and still no sign of an appointment being made. To a certain extent I accepted this up to the Swindon game but feel once that match was over a further announcement should have been made, either backing Limbrick for a set period, appointing him or stating when interviews were to be held and an appointment expected by. But sod all with the clubs “biggest” home fixture around the corner and a possible full house on offer especially if the new manager is in place to start his short reign!!!

Like another poster I dread the Scunny game as whatever we think of PH away wins were always his strength and I see nothing else but a convincing away win. For a variety of reasons I have thankfully been unable to attend since the Mansfield game and surprisingly I haven’t missed us score one goal in that period and doubt that will change just because I will be back at BP next week.

This just feels like a slow death with no one at the club willing to diagnose or fix the problem and it has all the hallmarks of 2010 especially the complacency that just one club will lose league status this season and I feel too many of us are starting to think that we will be that club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
December 10, 2019, 2:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Everyone thought that was a fantastic idea not so long ago...

What people thought not so long ago doesn't matter, we are talking about NOW!  And I would much rather have a manager who has actually MANAGED a football team, than someone who hasn't.

Reply: 43 - 59
golfer
December 10, 2019, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
When do you want me to apply ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
lew chaterleys lover
December 10, 2019, 3:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

The comment re bad runs is the one that most resonates with me and I cant think of any other club who for three seasons on the bounce have a long stretch of games without winning a game and a consistent failure to score goals, why is it repeating itself with different players each season? There has to be more to this than managers and players as these have been different each time it’s occurred which leads us back to the whole way the club is run and administered.

Lincoln now have LNER sponsorship for naming rights to their ground, Macclesfield appear to have identified a new owner in weeks rather than years whereas we go four weeks and still no sign of an appointment being made. To a certain extent I accepted this up to the Swindon game but feel once that match was over a further announcement should have been made, either backing Limbrick for a set period, appointing him or stating when interviews were to be held and an appointment expected by. But sod all with the clubs “biggest” home fixture around the corner and a possible full house on offer especially if the new manager is in place to start his short reign!!!

Like another poster I dread the Scunny game as whatever we think of PH away wins were always his strength and I see nothing else but a convincing away win. For a variety of reasons I have thankfully been unable to attend since the Mansfield game and surprisingly I haven’t missed us score one goal in that period and doubt that will change just because I will be back at BP next week.

This just feels like a slow death with no one at the club willing to diagnose or fix the problem and it has all the hallmarks of 2010 especially the complacency that just one club will lose league status this season and I feel too many of us are starting to think that we will be that club.

I cannot fathom the complete inaction. If the form table continues, we will be relegated. Where is the action being taken to address all the obvious issues? Will it have to wait till after the election?

A great point about Macclesfield. A club with precious little going for it, but a buyer has been identified. How come we have been up for sale for ages but are able to attract only tyre kickers?
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
Northbank Mariner
December 10, 2019, 4:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171

I cannot fathom the complete inaction. If the form table continues, we will be relegated. Where is the action being taken to address all the obvious issues? Will it have to wait till after the election?

A great point about Macclesfield. A club with precious little going for it, but a buyer has been identified. How come we have been up for sale for ages but are able to attract only tyre kickers?

Grimsby is a poor investment, certainly in its current guise.
The only people outside of the bubble of Grimsby who would invest are people who have ties with the town.
The town's received bad press recently, with the poor lass who only 14p to her name, and that just adds to the poor reputation from outsiders.
Without someone "actively" going the whole Hogg to sell the club, we are stuck with status quo.
If the board employed a decent marketing company I'm sure they'd make it look like a sound investment and worth putting the millions into that it needs to get it back on a strong footing and a club to be Uber proud of ..
We are slowly becoming the bottom feeders of the league and cannon fodder where other clubs just look at us an easy 3 points!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2019, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

They had enough about them to attract Sol. We can only attract Rsoles.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
fishboyUTM
December 10, 2019, 4:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

[/b]
We are slowly becoming the bottom feeders of the league and cannon fodder where other clubs just look at us an easy 3 points!!

We've been there a good while now, we are mentioned in the same breath as Macclesfield. We can only aspire to be like Crawley or Fleetwood Town nowadays. We are on our knees, we are a shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Northbank Mariner
December 10, 2019, 4:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We've been there a good while now, we are mentioned in the same breath as Macclesfield. We can only aspire to be like Crawley or Fleetwood Town nowadays. We are on our knees, we are a shambles.

Absolutely agree, even the most staunch of town fans are starting to turn their back on the club now...
It's not just heartbreaking, it's bleeding soul destroying.
I even said to my 15 year old this weekend, who's born and bred in Beverley yet town through n through,  that I apologise for the shower of shite I've introduced him to...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Robbie Stockdale. What do we think?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.