This thread currently has 6,094 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
December 9, 2019, 1:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Gotta be careful with all this ethos of how to play and expansive attacking football when so down in the doldrums and confidence shot at so we couldn't hit a barn door anyway half the time.

Needs must temporarily, build a solid foundation and then develop from there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
diehardmariner
December 10, 2019, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
I normally avoid these type posts as it feels a bit Football Manager but the fact the club (by-word for Jolley I supposed) failed to address, or rather contributed, to the lack of balance in the squad is our biggest issue in my opinion.  

We've four centre-backs who are all very much about muchness.  Big lads, relatively solid in the air, no pace and with the exception of Pollock incapable of little else other than hoofing it.

Our midfielders are exactly the same.  Pure graft with very, very little creativity.  

Only one winger.

Host of strikers but nothing that really stands out as anything different.

The lack of width naturally leads to a 4-3-3 which because of the lack of confidence/real attacking intent results in a 4-5-1 and we're pegged further and further back.

At the back we've no alternative on the left so it's Gibson, that said he's probably one a few who are deserving of a start anyway.   On the other side I liked how Hewitt started the season whilst Hendrie was in poor form.  Hewitt has tailed off but I'm not sure if Hendrie is back on song either.  Hewitt offers more going forward and at a guess is quicker than Hendrie, in a defence that lacks pace anyway that's a big consideration.

In the middle of the defence Pollock should be first choice, his age is irrelevant.  He's our best centre-back.  Davis doesn't seem the same since his injury, which is a shame as he thought he was excellent in the opening games.  Waterfall doesn't impress me at all, he might well be a leader but he's exposed too often.  Ohman looks to have gone backwards a bit since he came over when he was dominant but I'd still have him in over Davis and Waterfall at present.

In the middle Hessenthaler is a must, back protecting the defence too rather than being pushed further forward.  I don't dislike Clifton but a) he's not in the best of form and b) he's not a holding midfielder. Whitehouse, I'm sorry to say I'm in agreement with those who wonder what he offers.  A lot of running about in circles.  Robson has something about him but he's incredibly inconsistent and I wonder if he sometimes has the heart for a battle.  That said he's the only midfielder we've got who can pick a pass out.   I'd go with Hendrie (not because I think it's his best position but because he is capable of keeping it tidy and things ticking over) alongside Hess in protecting a very vulnerable back four.  Robson pushed a bit further forward to try and make things happen.

Up top, I'm completely discounting Green.  I just don't see what he offers.  He's not exceptionally hard working.  He doesn't work off Hanson.  He doesn't win anything in the air.  He doesn't have the pace to go past people.  If anything he seems to spend a lot of time running into defenders or giving silly free-kicks away.  

Hanson is on a hiding to nothing at the minute as he's doing nothing but chasing down punts into the corner.  It's not his game and we're wasting a selection by asking him to do it.   He also looks like he could do with a rest.

In the absence of real creativity we surely have to turn to pace in the hope of unlocking sides.  That comes in the form of Wright and Rose, for me they would be either side of Ogbu.  In the absence of Hanson you would hope that we wouldn't be as inclined to go long every time and Ogbu, if nothing else, offers a little bit of unpredictability.  Which I think was the front three the last time we won against Exeter?

Hewitt Ohman Pollock Gibson
           Hess Hendrie
               Robson
Wright Ogbu Rose

Bloody desperate as hell and the lack of alternatives in the side is staggering.  
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
ex-merseymariner
December 10, 2019, 10:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
This.  Good post. Agree with your selections. Why not try that XI. Only Clifton unlucky to miss out really.

I actually think we are at a stage where the subs bench should be full of the youth teamers or those like Cardwell or Vernam who haven't had a chance.  You didn't mention Ring, who has been a bust, or Cook, who works hard but like Green, actually offers little.

Does anyone have a clue as to whether Buckley or Curran are anywhere near good enough?

So many off-form players, So little pace or width.  Hmm.

Quoted from diehardmariner
I normally avoid these type posts as it feels a bit Football Manager but the fact the club (by-word for Jolley I supposed) failed to address, or rather contributed, to the lack of balance in the squad is our biggest issue in my opinion.  

We've four centre-backs who are all very much about muchness.  Big lads, relatively solid in the air, no pace and with the exception of Pollock incapable of little else other than hoofing it.

Our midfielders are exactly the same.  Pure graft with very, very little creativity.  

Only one winger.

The lack of width naturally leads to a 4-3-3 which because of the lack of confidence/real attacking intent results in a 4-5-1 and we're pegged further and further back.

At the back we've no alternative on the left so it's Gibson, that said he's probably one a few who are deserving of a start anyway.   On the other side I liked how Hewitt started the season whilst Hendrie was in poor form.  Hewitt has tailed off but I'm not sure if Hendrie is back on song either.  Hewitt offers more going forward and at a guess is quicker than Hendrie, in a defence that lacks pace anyway that's a big consideration.

In the middle of the defence Pollock should be first choice, his age is irrelevant.  He's our best centre-back.  Davis doesn't seem the same since his injury, which is a shame as he thought he was excellent in the opening games.  Waterfall doesn't impress me at all, he might well be a leader but he's exposed too often.  Ohman looks to have gone backwards a bit since he came over when he was dominant but I'd still have him in over Davis and Waterfall at present.

In the middle Hessenthaler is a must, back protecting the defence too rather than being pushed further forward.  I don't dislike Clifton but a) he's not in the best of form and b) he's not a holding midfielder. Whitehouse, I'm sorry to say I'm in agreement with those who wonder what he offers.  A lot of running about in circles.  Robson has something about him but he's incredibly inconsistent and I wonder if he sometimes has the heart for a battle.  That said he's the only midfielder we've got who can pick a pass out.   I'd go with Hendrie (not because I think it's his best position but because he is capable of keeping it tidy and things ticking over) alongside Hess in protecting a very vulnerable back four.  Robson pushed a bit further forward to try and make things happen.

Up top, I'm completely discounting Green.  I just don't see what he offers.  He's not exceptionally hard working.  He doesn't work off Hanson.  He doesn't win anything in the air.  He doesn't have the pace to go past people.  If anything he seems to spend a lot of time running into defenders or giving silly free-kicks away.  

Hanson is on a hiding to nothing at the minute as he's doing nothing but chasing down punts into the corner.  It's not his game and we're wasting a selection by asking him to do it.   He also looks like he could do with a rest.

In the absence of real creativity we surely have to turn to pace in the hope of unlocking sides.  That comes in the form of Wright and Rose, for me they would be either side of Ogbu.  In the absence of Hanson you would hope that we wouldn't be as inclined to go long every time and Ogbu, if nothing else, offers a little bit of unpredictability.  Which I think was the front three the last time we won against Exeter?

Hewitt Ohman Pollock Gibson
           Hess Hendrie
               Robson
Wright Ogbu Rose

Bloody desperate as hell and the lack of alternatives in the side is staggering.  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
TownSNAFU5
December 10, 2019, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,859
Gold Stars: 42
Good insight DHM.  Wright, Rose and Ogbu.  Pace and unpredictability.  Just the qualities to make opposing teams wary of our threat, to think about us and sit-back more.

Swindon often dominated our half and even our penalty area.  They knew that we did not have the pace and guile to hurt them on any counterattack.  (The game was already up when Rose and Wright came on.  Rose still managed to play with some desire).

We do have different options up front, if not in other areas.We never followed up how effective we were at scoring goals and winning well, as we were at Exeter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
GollyGTFC
December 10, 2019, 11:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
(4-1-4-1)

Russell

Hewitt
Davis
Waterfall
Gibson

Hendrie

Wright
Hessenthaler
Robson
Ogbu (Cook if he was fit)

Hanson

Subs: McKeown, Öhman, Pollock, Whitehouse, Clifton (Ogbu if Cook was fit), Green & Rose.

Priority in January: finding a decent defensive midfielder and a winger. Offloading Ring & Vernam. Replacing Gibson & Robson if they are recalled.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 43
crusty ole pie
December 10, 2019, 11:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,336
Gold Stars: 62
Just back to basics 4-4- flipping two tried and tested it works players know what’s expected and it cover most bases
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 10, 2019, 11:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner

You could just as easily argue that we do not actually have any strikers.

For what it is worth I think Jolley brought in such a lopsided squad that it is hard to do anything else but 4-3-3 for a few games as you say. Perhaps a new manager might be able to persuade a couple of wide boys to join us in the New Year and give some options.

A big problem is lack of stability especially in defence. We need to stop fannying about with the selections and pick the best back four on the books to play every game with changes only for injury/suspension and work from there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
Maringer
December 10, 2019, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Hendrie is one of our faster outfield players - certainly quicker than Hewitt, though neither is really up to playing wing-back. I also don't rate Hendrie in midfield (though I'd prefer to see him there than Hewitt!).

Hewitt has that excellent cross on him from a rolling ball, but unfortunately, we've not really got him into a position to use it since the early stages of the season. He struggled against Swindon but then so did most of the team.

Davis in poor form recently but I'd say he's probably the best of our central defenders with the ball at his feet - that's not saying much, however. Gibson poor on Saturday as well, though he's generally been decent.

I'd say Ogbu is the one striker we have who offers something a lot different to the others but, after an encouraging start, he's just gone backwards. At this point in his career, Rose should be making appearances off the bench to gain the experience he missed when waiting for his visa. He has the physical capabilities (when fit) and the skill but needs to perhaps learn more about playing as a striker.

You know you've got problems with a lack of pace and attacking flair when a young lad with 4 League starts to his name is seen to be the potential saviour for the season.

Ultimately, we've got a lot of players with a bit of ability in one or two areas (and quite a few have played at a higher level) but none are outstanding in any particular regard and I'm not quite sure which formation would be best to link them together. Probably 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, truth be told. Unfashionable though it may be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
ex-merseymariner
December 10, 2019, 12:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC
(4-1-4-1)Priority in January: finding a decent defensive midfielder and a winger. Offloading Ring & Vernam. Replacing Gibson & Robson if they are recalled.

I'd be surprised if Gibson were recalled - surely he's nowhere near Newcastle's first team

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Abdul19
December 10, 2019, 1:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I'd be surprised if Gibson were recalled - surely he's nowhere near Newcastle's first team

He might ask to be recalled!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for change of formation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.