TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 4, 2019, 10:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from fishboyUTM
He plays his last game for Chorley on Saturday I think, then I'd expect him to return fitter and hopefully ready to hit the ground running. He's scored 3 in 3 for Chorley, and done well. A lot will depend on the relationship he has with Anthony Limbrick.

I'm not certain he can fit into a 4-3-3 easily. I think he will score goals for fun in a 4-4-2 alongside a target man like Hanson. I don't think his hold up play or aerial threat is good enough to even consider him to play at the top of the three. So if you play him wide, he MUST get closer to Hanson, same the other side. And we have Max Wright coming back too so misfiring Green and Rose will be under pressure.

We talk about team selections as if it was the 1990s and more or less the same team that started a game will finish it. With this plethora of substitutes a team can now be completely different after even 45 minutes if things don’t go to plan or form is poor.

On Vernam I am yet to be convinced there is a league player in there. He only did one full game for Chorley, scores one good goal an easy one and a penalty. Good going in some ways but somehow I think we have a dose of wishful thinking his abilities, me included.

Reading Lambrick’s interview he was saying that the pattern was 4-3-3 so all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing. That implied to me that there will be fewer changes of system during games but there would be like for like swaps if somebody is not doing the job right. Players have to fit the system not the other way round. So if Wright or Vernam or whoever cannot play effectively in a front 3 then they will not be picked.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Abdul19
December 4, 2019, 10:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,553
Gold Stars: 215
Fairly sure it's still only 3 subs (as it has been since the mid 90s) - it's not a Sven England friendly  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
marinerdazza
December 4, 2019, 10:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
For whatever reason I think Vernam's time is over. Best for everyone he goes elsewhere. And I hope he makes it.

Edit: I meant here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
Tommy
December 4, 2019, 10:55am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Wright played on the right of the front 3 at Exeter and seemed to be quite effective in that game.
No reason why that position in that system can't be a good fit for him.

Vernam is a bit of an interesting one. Some good technical ability, but the question is how much he can effect games. There's been plenty of players in the past with a great touch and good technically, but just don't have enough of an effect in games. Vernam could quite easily fall into that category, but for me it seems early to judge, because as far as I can remember he's never had a run of games with us.

In fact the only time he maybe did get 5-6 games in a row was last season when we had a decent patch just before going to Palace. And the decent patch coincided with him actually being moved wide and Embleton playing central, after they were previously the other way around, in the 4-1-4-1/4-5-1 we used at the time.
So arguably wide in a front 3 could suit Vernam as well as Wright.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 4, 2019, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Fairly sure it's still only 3 subs (as it has been since the mid 90s) - it's not a Sven England friendly  

Yes it is perm any 3 from 7 isn't it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Garth
December 4, 2019, 12:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Embleton  hey, now there's a player we've missed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
arryarryarry
December 4, 2019, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116

We talk about team selections as if it was the 1990s and more or less the same team that started a game will finish it. With this plethora of substitutes a team can now be completely different after even 45 minutes if things don’t go to plan or form is poor.

On Vernam I am yet to be convinced there is a league player in there. He only did one full game for Chorley, scores one good goal an easy one and a penalty. Good going in some ways but somehow I think we have a dose of wishful thinking his abilities, me included.

Reading Lambrick’s interview he was saying that the pattern was 4-3-3 so all the players knew what they were supposed to be doing. That implied to me that there will be fewer changes of system during games but there would be like for like swaps if somebody is not doing the job right. Players have to fit the system not the other way round. So if Wright or Vernam or whoever cannot play effectively in a front 3 then they will not be picked.

Considering we have only scored two goals in eight League and FA Cup games non of our other forwards and tearing up any trees.

I know Green has scored a couple of crackers but is he any more effective than Vernam?  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2019, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235

Two things...if it was a 28 day loan, isn't his time up at Chorley on Friday? And secondly, scoring three in three for the bottom team isn't to be sniffed at. We would be happy with 3 in 10.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 4, 2019, 3:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering we have only scored two goals in eight League and FA Cup games non of our other forwards and tearing up any trees.

I know Green has scored a couple of crackers but is he any more effective than Vernam?  

Like I said arry, good going in some ways and yes, he might benefit from a passing game. My only concern would be the way he has often faded during games, he's been subbed at Chorley too. I think a player can get away with fading out of a game providing he threatens to do a Podge and suddenly pop up with a winner. Can Vernam? I don't know so I think the jury is still out on him.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Northbank Mariner
December 4, 2019, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

Like I said arry, good going in some ways and yes, he might benefit from a passing game. My only concern would be the way he has often faded during games, he's been subbed at Chorley too. I think a player can get away with fading out of a game providing he threatens to do a Podge and suddenly pop up with a winner. Can Vernam? I don't know so I think the jury is still out on him.

I've said it before, I honestly think Vernham haa found his natural level at Chorley I'm afraid.
He s injury prone at best, suffered whilst at Derby, had his problems with us too and I think his engine us suspect at best.
Technically he's very gifted, git good feet but can't do it for prolonged periods.
Kind of reminds a bit of Dom Vose...there's a player in there but just can't quite apply himself in league football.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam recall from loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.