2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
December 3, 2019, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Interesting article on Telegraph site about Clifton playing as a holding player and Limbrick’s thoughts on 433.

He says he wants the players to stick to 433 so that they all know their roles and can enjoy their game with confidence.

It seems like Jolley was just trying to be too clever with constant changes in line up and formation, and couldn’t make up his mind.

I’ve been encouraged by AL so far but he has such a tough run of fixtures when everyone could do with a win and lift morale.  I hope in the end the fixture list won’t be his downfall.  Between him, Davies and Dave Moore they should have a nice blend of experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2019, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
What is really interesting is that this is the latest in a number of GT pieces all relating to a change of football style and to Buckley days. Someone must be following the comments on here and on social media.

What Limbrick says does make sense. I have always liked 4-3-3 but you do need players with pace and you do need to get players out wide and you do need to move the ball with fewer touches than our midfield has been taking. Limbrick needs a result, we all do! At least he has had this mini-break to sort things out. Let’s hope we see some progress from it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Mariner93er
December 3, 2019, 11:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I think the Cheltenham game was encouraging. In a relatively short period of time he managed to get the team playing noticeably better football, and in that first half we created multiple chances. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that, so if we continue to see improvement, I'd be happy to give him a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
fishboyUTM
December 3, 2019, 12:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
I noticed Harry was playing very deep last home game. Gives protection to the back four, allows the other two central midfielders to push on, as well as taking some defensive responsibility away from the inside forwards. I can see how it fits the players we have available in the squad. I'd prefer Charles Vernam in one of the inside forward roles to what we have at the moment due to Matt Green's form, and to a lesser extent Akeem Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Mariner Timsky
December 3, 2019, 3:17pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Again another toughie fixture on Saturday with Swindon sat top of the pile - so has AL been given the position do we know?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
fishboyUTM
December 3, 2019, 5:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Again another toughie fixture on Saturday with Swindon sat top of the pile - so has AL been given the position do we know?

I think we'd know. He's caretaker but I think if he can get some points on board and some footballs in the oponents net then personally I think he's the front runner. He seems to want to play football the right way, so I'm prepared to give him a chance. I've had enough of hoofball to the point I won't go anymore if it continues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Rik e B
December 3, 2019, 5:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
What is really interesting is that this is the latest in a number of GT pieces all relating to a change of football style and to Buckley days. Someone must be following the comments on here and on social media.

We all know The Fishy runs the show  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
moosey_club
December 3, 2019, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
i just interpreted it as him saying what we have all moaned about,  under their stewardship we were promised , high press, exciting football with plenty of balls into the box.....which has been seen rarely of late.  
Fair play to him if just a dumbing down on the instructions to the team creates what we were promised.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Mighty_Mariner
December 3, 2019, 8:33pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I was in the press box for the Cheltenham game and Anthony came up for his post-match interview with Matt Dean... Nothing out of the ordinary, but what I did notice, and like, was he then stayed around for about 30 minutes picking Buckley's brain about formations, systems, playing Clifton in front of the back four, the role of Hanson etc etc.

It was great to listen to a young manager gleaning advice from an experienced pro and there seemed to be a genuine mutual respect there.

That conversing was left with an agreement to meet up again very soon to discuss all things football.

I was impressed by AL's enthusiasm to learn Buckley's opinion on certain things and AB was only to happy to oblige, where he thought he could help.

AL as manager an AB as Director of Football would work well IMO.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
forza ivano
December 3, 2019, 10:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I was in the press box for the Cheltenham game and Anthony came up for his post-match interview with Matt Dean... Nothing out of the ordinary, but what I did notice, and like, was he then stayed around for about 30 minutes picking Buckley's brain about formations, systems, playing Clifton in front of the back four, the role of Hanson etc etc.

It was great to listen to a young manager gleaning advice from an experienced pro and there seemed to be a genuine mutual respect there.

That conversing was left with an agreement to meet up again very soon to discuss all things football.

I was impressed by AL's enthusiasm to learn Buckley's opinion on certain things and AB was only to happy to oblige, where he thought he could help.

AL as manager an AB as Director of Football would work well IMO.

Hadnt heard that before.sounds really promising
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Limbrick, Clifton and 433

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.