fishboyUTM
December 2, 2019, 6:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We need a far more positive and attacking approach at home,  no wonder fans are deciding not to go.

It is good to play through midfield but you need the players to do it.  We have had a weak or weaker midfield for at least 12 years now.

Crewe were a good footballing side this season.  They had pace and could pass.  We would do well to emulate any of their impressive aspects.

They got the ball wide all the time, their wingers had chalk on their boots. We were so narrow it played into their hands and Jolley just twiddled his thumbs and let it happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Mayaman
December 3, 2019, 8:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Well said.  Overlapping fullbacks, now there's a thing.  You're right about a lot of it but , yes we do need an end product. Therefore, variety is surely the key.  A long through ball or clever one two can open up a defence.  A lot of times in the last few years, it's either been the luimp forward or cutesy triangles with no end result. I think Buckley's teams had more than that.  When i lived down south I went to Brentford to see town.  For some reason I was in the Brentford end.  A black and white scarf in a sea of red and white.  Tony Rees played a blinder.  The Brentford fans were singing our praises. We beat them 3-0 and it could have been more. The Bees fans clapped us off the park.  Believe me that made me all warm and fuzzy inside. (yeah, I know, a sad life)  I think we need a Groves or Disley to galvanise the team when things aren't going well. Something we seem to be missing. Swindon next .  Top of the table.  We can beat Exeter, we can do it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
pen penfras
December 4, 2019, 6:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from fishboyUTM

You're correct in what you say, but the boards track record At our level is absolutely appauling. IMO, the time to renew contracts of key players, proven players when you know them and know their strengths and weaknesses is twelve months before expiry. You're protecting your asset. Remember when players like Padraig Amond, Carl Magnay, Danny Andrew leave, they must be replaced. Then despite scouting and hopefully looking into his character, you're talking an unknown quantity to a large degree. We don't renew contracts, generally until they have expired in general. It's stupid.

Padraig Amond was offered a new contract half way through the one season contract he had and rejected it?

I always thought it was a Hurst thing to leave the contract renewals until late on. But all of the players we would be gutted to lose are the players that are probably capable of playing at a higher level or getting more money elsewhere. Not really in their interest to sign a contract when there's no other interested parties about to use as a bargaining chip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
lee65
December 5, 2019, 1:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from marinerdazza
either David Hunter or Adam Chance

Yeah, it’s non footy but quick music quiz question,

Song lyric “Adam Chance and Zorro, take them with a pinch of salt”

Name the band and the song (Clue, it helps to be over 50 and like punk)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Madeleymariner
December 6, 2019, 12:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from lee65

Yeah, it’s non footy but quick music quiz question,

Song lyric “Adam Chance and Zorro, take them with a pinch of salt”

Name the band and the song (Clue, it helps to be over 50 and like punk)  

I know its The Damned but cant remember the song title at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Son of Cod
December 6, 2019, 12:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Looking back at the last couple of managerial appointments, we knew Slade was a hoof ball merchant so no surprises there. It turned out Michael Jolley, despite his impressive FIFA qualifications might as well have been Slade's prodigy. I want to see us looking in a completely different direction for the next managerial appointment.

I said weeks before he left that Jolley was in effect sacking himself with his negativity. In what turned out to be his final game v Newport at BP, at 1-0 up, we had a corner at the Osmond end. They sensibly (unlike MJ and RS), had one forward up on the halfway line meaning we need a spare man you'd have thought, so two town players marking him? Oh no, we had FOUR players marking that one Newport forward. Slade set us up in a similar way. Neither of them put a man on the half way line when defending corners! They'll quote stats about not conceding, maybe in the first phase but you're given them posession once it's cleared! What about the second phase when they come again?

Negative people lead to negative outcomes. We are desperate for a positive manager, playing positive football. It doesn't have to be gung ho, the next management choice is massive. I don't want long ball Nolan, I want to see us building from the back, go direct if needed, we don't have Barcelona standard players, nor do I expect to see Barcelona football. Our fans are realistic, but we need hope and we need to see progress. I want to see us playing it THROUGH midfield, not bypassing it. Wingers, overlapping full backs, attacking football. Then they fans will turn up again.

We need to rediscover our identity, look at Crewe when they demolished us at BP. They've had their ups and downs through the years but they have always had an identity. We must look to employ a manager that wants to play the game properly. It seems Anthony Limbrick shares this view of how the game should be played, I wouldn't rule him out.

I want us to have a clear way of playing throughout the different age groups so progression upwards is seemless, an ethos, a medium and long term plan. Look at players released or going to be released from Premier / Championship clubs, build an experienced spine of leaders. Play the game the right way, bring back the fans and maybe we can stop the constant firefighting! And for Christs sake, look at contract renewals, stop letting our best players contracts expire! Jake Hessenthaler has 7 months of his deal left!!! It's madness!!

We can't and won't achieve the kind of football Crewe play as their ethos is to put their faith in the manager and their youngsters and be patient. Significant portions of the Town fanbase, board and JSF have proven time and time again that they don't have the levels of patience that Crewe have. This current Crewe squad is performing well as a result of seasons and seasons of ground work and making mistakes. I've got a very good friend who is a Crewe fan and he thought it was utterly ridiculous that we sacked Jolley when we did and for the reasons that we did.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
MarshMariner
December 6, 2019, 1:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
TBF, I don't believe we sacked Jolley... maybe he walked before we did.. no one will ever know for sure..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Tommy
December 6, 2019, 1:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Son of Cod

We can't and won't achieve the kind of football Crewe play as their ethos is to put their faith in the manager and their youngsters and be patient. Significant portions of the Town fanbase, board and JSF have proven time and time again that they don't have the levels of patience that Crewe have. This current Crewe squad is performing well as a result of seasons and seasons of ground work and making mistakes. I've got a very good friend who is a Crewe fan and he thought it was utterly ridiculous that we sacked Jolley when we did and for the reasons that we did.

But before the patience, you've got to have the right man appointed.

It's no good just being patient with whoever is the Manager and thinking that stability/longevity is a surefire way of success.
Jolley could have stayed here for another 3 years and we'd still not be playing anything like the quality of football other teams at our level play.

Crewe have a philosophy and an identity and appoint Managers to carry that out. If we want to have this ideal philosophy then its the Board's job to appoint the right Manager who's going to build it and carry it out. I'll be as patient as anyone if I think the Manager is showing signs of putting together success and building a way of playing. But it was clear in the last few months that Jolley wasn't even trying to build a team based on any philosophy as it changed every week depending on who we were playing.

Quoted from Son of Cod
I've got a very good friend who is a Crewe fan and he thought it was utterly ridiculous that we sacked Jolley when we did and for the reasons that we did.

You ought to tell him that we didn't sack Jolley then.  

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Mallyner
December 6, 2019, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I know its The Damned but cant remember the song title at all.

Macclesfield?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Ipswin
December 6, 2019, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MarshMariner
TBF, I don't believe we sacked Jolley... maybe he walked before we did.. no one will ever know for sure..

I think he was just looking for a chance / excuse to walk , he knew he was just not up to the job.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial crossroads / Club ethos

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.