This thread currently has 5,846 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
November 28, 2019, 4:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Was up at the Scottish Cup replay last night at Gayfield to watch Arbroath play Auchinleck Talbot.

I went up early doors so I could have a look around the harbour area and the traditional smoke house outlets. As I turned to drive into the area I noticed a signpost saying I was entering East Grimsby, which is a small part of Arbroath. Not only that, but a number of streets in the area had "gate" at the end of the name - like Brighowgate, Bargate etc do in Grimsby. I wasn't aware of any links between the two towns, but with the predominant industry being fish in Arbroath it's not inconceivable that there may be something. Does anyone know please?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
November 28, 2019, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Arborath's ground is the only one in the UK closer to the North Sea than Grimsby's!

I've been following Arbroath from a distance for many years now, for no other reason than I thought they were our Scottish equivalents (lower league, sometimes punching above their weight, on the east coast, fishing heritage, etc). Not aware of any 'official' links though.

What's funny is that about six years ago I went on honeymoon to Tromso in Norway and only when we arrived I discovered the town is twinned with Grimsby — they even have a road named after us! I rang NE Lincs council to ask about the relationship between Grimsby and Tromso, and how it came about, and they basically said they didn't know!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
moosey_club
November 28, 2019, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from jock dock tower
Was up at the Scottish Cup replay last night at Gayfield to watch Arbroath play Auchinleck Talbot.

I went up early doors so I could have a look around the harbour area and the traditional smoke house outlets. As I turned to drive into the area I noticed a signpost saying I was entering East Grimsby, which is a small part of Arbroath. Not only that, but a number of streets in the area had "gate" at the end of the name - like Brighowgate, Bargate etc do in Grimsby. I wasn't aware of any links between the two towns, but with the predominant industry being fish in Arbroath it's not inconceivable that there may be something. Does anyone know please?

sorry...but i read as far as Gayfield and cracked up..

i must remember to grow up one day

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Les Brechin
November 28, 2019, 5:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jock dock tower

There's a North, West and South Grimsby in Arbroath too. No idea of any link between the two Towns though, apart from the obvious fishing link.

I think they are more like just streets in Arbroath rather than areas. There's also a Grimsby Place.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
KingstonMariner
November 28, 2019, 5:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
Arborath's ground is the only one in the UK closer to the North Sea than Grimsby's!

I've been following Arbroath from a distance for many years now, for no other reason than I thought they were our Scottish equivalents (lower league, sometimes punching above their weight, on the east coast, fishing heritage, etc). Not aware of any 'official' links though.

What's funny is that about six years ago I went on honeymoon to Tromso in Norway and only when we arrived I discovered the town is twinned with Grimsby — they even have a road named after us! I rang NE Lincs council to ask about the relationship between Grimsby and Tromso, and how it came about, and they basically said they didn't know!

Didn’t that Christmas tree come from Tromso each year?

Correction: it was Trondheim but now it’s from Sortland

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
moosey_club
November 28, 2019, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Didn’t that Christmas tree come from Tromso each year?

Correction: it was Trondheim but now it’s from SortPoundland

Corrected.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Rik e B
November 28, 2019, 6:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Just googled 'Arbroath Grimsby' and it seems there a North Grimsby area, a West Grimsby one and even a street called Grimsby Place!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Rik e B
November 28, 2019, 6:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
The tree is a thankyou from WWII isn't it? Whether there was a legion from Grimsby posted near there or something I don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Rik e B
November 28, 2019, 6:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Well apparently that balderdash as the tradition is 15 years old... 😬🙊

Quoted Text
We have been sending Christmas trees to Grimsby for 15 years now.

"It all began when Sortland municipality received an enquiry from Eimskip - CTG asking whether we might be able to find a suitable Christmas tree for Grimsby, which Eimskip would then carry as cargo and deliver.

Eimskip just transport if for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Rik e B
November 28, 2019, 6:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Or did, mayor said not sending anymore as their trees are too scabby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Arbroath links with Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.