lew chaterleys lover
November 27, 2019, 10:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from bigdavemariner
So think we're all of the opinion that we don't have anywhere near enough width in the team. I've tried working out how we can setup with our current squad to provide that width and just don't think it's possible. We don't have pace or a skillful player who can beat his man and put a cross in (Wright aside really but that's still only one winger)

Unless we sign wingers in January I think we need to play a system that suits the squad, rather than trying to play central midfielders or strikers on the wing.

Based on last night Clifton stood out as having a good game playing deep, Robson came on and played the ball well and Hess also looked creative. Rose is frustrating beyond words. He just hasn't got a football brain because he's so young and raw. But he's got something which he showed with that turn in the box in the first half . I'd like to see him played on the shoulder of the last man as part of a front 2. Tell him to stand up top and don't expect him to defend.. take the responsibility off him and jist tell him to run and scare defenders.
Ogbu also came on and caused problems. He's unpredictable to the point where I'm not sure he knows what he's doing. But he can twist and turn and find a pass when he looks more likely to lose the ball. He adds some much needed creativity.

Think if we could change system and play narrow and play to our strengths I'd do something like this...

Think the back 4 we could pick any combination and I'd be happy
Sit Clifton deep in front of the back back
Hess and Robson in a central mid role
Ogbu sat behind the front 2
Rose and Hanson up top

Yes it's narrow, but it's gives us pace up too and creativity in the spine of the team.

I agree about Rose. No football brain at all, but he is not that young. I think I saw today was his birthday - 21 I think.

He will have been playing football for a long time now, but does not seem to be attuned to the game at all. He has also developed a Premier League trait of trying ot make the most of any contact instead of getting on with it.

He does have rare moments when he threatens, but for someone who we have invested so much time and effort in I think he is a disappointment.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2019, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

I agree about Rose. No football brain at all, but he is not that young. I think I saw today was his birthday - 21 I think.

He will have been playing football for a long time now, but does not seem to be attuned to the game at all. He has also developed a Premier League trait of trying ot make the most of any contact instead of getting on with it.

He does have rare moments when he threatens, but for someone who we have invested so much time and effort in I think he is a disappointment.

I find it quite disturbing that Rose, Green and Cardwell got to play for us last night whilst Vernam was appearing in the National League.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
moosey_club
November 27, 2019, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I find it quite disturbing that Rose, Green and Cardwell got to play for us last night whilst Vernam was appearing in the National League.

i find it quite disturbing that Cardwell got booed on from some quarters last night but within the first few moments of being on showed directness, beat his man and got a shot off on target ...something which the rest of team struggled to do in the previous 85 mins, he also wins his fair share of aeriel duals.
The lad has had less appearances/ chances than Vernam to show what he can do but has become the boo boy whilst Vernam suddenly seems to have become the saviour despite being frustratingly inconsistent and incapable of making much more than 20 mins effort in a game.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Madeleymariner
November 27, 2019, 10:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Because he has hardly produced anything when he has been here (Cardwell no more either). Like Hooper, possibly found his real level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
forza ivano
November 27, 2019, 10:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
It's only 5 weeks till 1 jan n we dont have a game for over a quarter of that period  so let's not get too troubled, especially as wright should be back for the next game. I know I'm not overly keen on limbrick but given the improvement  I'm  not unhappy to give him more time. Just look at how clifton has improved since jolley left .this has also allowed Hess to move further forward  where hes looked even better n presumably has let us create more chances. Plus I not sure on any of the names so far put forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
arryarryarry
November 28, 2019, 1:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from bigdavemariner
So think we're all of the opinion that we don't have anywhere near enough width in the team. I've tried working out how we can setup with our current squad to provide that width and just don't think it's possible. We don't have pace or a skillful player who can beat his man and put a cross in (Wright aside really but that's still only one winger)

Unless we sign wingers in January I think we need to play a system that suits the squad, rather than trying to play central midfielders or strikers on the wing.

Based on last night Clifton stood out as having a good game playing deep, Robson came on and played the ball well and Hess also looked creative. Rose is frustrating beyond words. He just hasn't got a football brain because he's so young and raw. But he's got something which he showed with that turn in the box in the first half . I'd like to see him played on the shoulder of the last man as part of a front 2. Tell him to stand up top and don't expect him to defend.. take the responsibility off him and jist tell him to run and scare defenders.
Ogbu also came on and caused problems. He's unpredictable to the point where I'm not sure he knows what he's doing. But he can twist and turn and find a pass when he looks more likely to lose the ball. He adds some much needed creativity.

Think if we could change system and play narrow and play to our strengths I'd do something like this...

Think the back 4 we could pick any combination and I'd be happy
Sit Clifton deep in front of the back back
Hess and Robson in a central mid role
Ogbu sat behind the front 2
Rose and Hanson up top

Yes it's narrow, but it's gives us pace up too and creativity in the spine of the team.

Whilst he may not be showing the form he played in the juniors I thought Rose had a very decent first half, we played the right balls to him preferably just in front of him to give him the chance to run at defenders. Pumping long balls up to him are no use at all.

I think Vernam needs the same kind of service to run with the ball and he may be the better finisher.

I also thought Green had a better game although not quite sure what he adds to the side, missed a very good chance like he did at Northampton.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
golfer
November 28, 2019, 8:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know we all have our favourite players Codger and one of yours is obviously Vernham. You can evidently see the good things or prospects of good things in his play but at the moment I don't feel he has achieved what many of us hoped for. Craig Clay was one of my favourite players and in the present team I like Hewitt. I don't think Cardwell or Whitehouse add anything to our prospects but other people do. I have my opinions,other people have theirs but if your opinions differ from mine then you're shite like Cardwell and Shitehouse.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
arryarryarry
November 28, 2019, 8:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from golfer

I know we all have our favourite players Codger and one of yours is obviously Vernham. You can evidently see the good things or prospects of good things in his play but at the moment I don't feel he has achieved what many of us hoped for. Craig Clay was one of my favourite players and in the present team I like Hewitt. I don't think Cardwell or Whitehouse add anything to our prospects but other people do. I have my opinions,other people have theirs but if your opinions differ from mine then you're shite like Cardwell and Shitehouse.  

Hewitt cost us the first goal at Northampton because he couldn't be arsed enough to challenge their player at the far post and some of our players thought the same seeing as they were having a go at him.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
MuddyWaters
November 28, 2019, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer

I’m not saying Vernam is the solution, far from it in fact, I’m just of the opinion that he’s got more threat in his game than others, particularly in the system we’re playing. If Cooks injury is long term, I would expect Veenam back as a matter of course.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lack of Width

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.