bigdavemariner
November 27, 2019, 7:55pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
So think we're all of the opinion that we don't have anywhere near enough width in the team. I've tried working out how we can setup with our current squad to provide that width and just don't think it's possible. We don't have pace or a skillful player who can beat his man and put a cross in (Wright aside really but that's still only one winger)

Unless we sign wingers in January I think we need to play a system that suits the squad, rather than trying to play central midfielders or strikers on the wing.

Based on last night Clifton stood out as having a good game playing deep, Robson came on and played the ball well and Hess also looked creative. Rose is frustrating beyond words. He just hasn't got a football brain because he's so young and raw. But he's got something which he showed with that turn in the box in the first half . I'd like to see him played on the shoulder of the last man as part of a front 2. Tell him to stand up top and don't expect him to defend.. take the responsibility off him and jist tell him to run and scare defenders.
Ogbu also came on and caused problems. He's unpredictable to the point where I'm not sure he knows what he's doing. But he can twist and turn and find a pass when he looks more likely to lose the ball. He adds some much needed creativity.

Think if we could change system and play narrow and play to our strengths I'd do something like this...

Think the back 4 we could pick any combination and I'd be happy
Sit Clifton deep in front of the back back
Hess and Robson in a central mid role
Ogbu sat behind the front 2
Rose and Hanson up top

Yes it's narrow, but it's gives us pace up too and creativity in the spine of the team.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
November 27, 2019, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from bigdavemariner
So think we're all of the opinion that we don't have anywhere near enough width in the team. I've tried working out how we can setup with our current squad to provide that width and just don't think it's possible. We don't have pace or a skillful player who can beat his man and put a cross in (Wright aside really but that's still only one winger)

Unless we sign wingers in January I think we need to play a system that suits the squad, rather than trying to play central midfielders or strikers on the wing.

Based on last night Clifton stood out as having a good game playing deep, Robson came on and played the ball well and Hess also looked creative. Rose is frustrating beyond words. He just hasn't got a football brain because he's so young and raw. But he's got something which he showed with that turn in the box in the first half . I'd like to see him played on the shoulder of the last man as part of a front 2. Tell him to stand up top and don't expect him to defend.. take the responsibility off him and jist tell him to run and scare defenders.
Ogbu also came on and caused problems. He's unpredictable to the point where I'm not sure he knows what he's doing. But he can twist and turn and find a pass when he looks more likely to lose the ball. He adds some much needed creativity.

Think if we could change system and play narrow and play to our strengths I'd do something like this...

Think the back 4 we could pick any combination and I'd be happy
Sit Clifton deep in front of the back back
Hess and Robson in a central mid role
Ogbu sat behind the front 2
Rose and Hanson up top

Yes it's narrow, but it's gives us pace up too and creativity in the spine of the team.

That's all well and good but we lack something else...natural pace with the exception of Rose...we haven't got enough with the pace to run at defenders and make them back off..that to me us what we need rather than out n out wide players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Rik e B
November 27, 2019, 8:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We've not had proper wingers since it seems like Kingsley Black and Kevin Donovan. Always square pegged a pacey striker into the role or nudged a central midfielder slightly wider. 4-4-2 just seems to be unfashionable now!

Yes I agree with you that we probably best suited to a 2 up top and someone 'in the hole' personell wise but that means zero width and I'm pretty sure opposition manager's would quickly spot our weakness and stretch us wide to rip us apart.

So I'd say stick with the 4-3-3 and get it mastered down to a tee, can work on the forward end being fluid, swapping and changing, peeling wide or dropping in.

For example Greenie or whoever going close to Hanson for a bit, ready for knockdowns and neat interplay while knowing there an outley on say the right wing with the third frontman. But then they swap it or go back to a standard three, can even drop back to a 4-5-1 under the cosh.

This kind of approach has brought us the most success and exciting play under Hurst and Jolley.

Whatever the case, find a way of playing and stick to it with minor tweaks for opposition instead of Jolley-esque all week spent catering for countering each individual opposition.

Limbrick gone 4-3-3 and has alluded to getting back to basics and sticking with a main plan, so stick with that I'd say and expect him to too. Refreshing to have a guy who's spotted the issue we have all been pointing out and that the player's reportedly were upset about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
jimgtfc
November 27, 2019, 8:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,010
Gold Stars: 40
To play that narrow you need the full backs to be full of pace, energy and be able to deliver a decent cross as they will be your width. We don’t have that in my opinion so it would be pointless playing Hanson in a system that doesn’t get crosses into the box. This is why I think he’s stopped scoring, Jolley didn’t play with natural wingers, and the only player providing decent service into the box early season was Hewitt, but that seems to have dried up. Whilst we don’t have any fit wingers at the minute, we have players that can do jobs there, and whilst people will say about square pegs and all that, if we can get a system started now, like AL has with the 433, and stick with it, then add the missing pieces in January once one or two are shipped out first. For me it’s better to get the rest of the squad playing in a system now than rip it all up in January.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Rik e B
November 27, 2019, 8:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Good points, if Limbrick gets a chance to keep building then some square pegs might be needed at times as we solidify a set way of playing with a view to addressing this fact in future windows. Hopefully fans can accept this but I'm sure some would jump on the fact as a way to complain as soon as any hiccups along the way.

I'd prefer we stick to a system, our squad will evolve better knowing what they building on week in week out. Build up understandings with each on little partnerships eg. left back with left forward, midfield setup etc etc. Give Clifton his chance to master the deep lying role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
fishboyUTM
November 27, 2019, 9:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Agreed, we haven't got wingers at the club aside from Max Wright. Vernam is banging them in on loan, I really think he would be the answer if he played in a two, not showhorned out to the right wing. Play 3-5-2 with Hendrie when he's back and Gibson as the wing backs, at least you'd have some width playing that way and you get two up front. No point is us asking for 4-4-2 when we don't have the wingers.

But if you wanted to play 4-4-2, Seb Ring was a midfielder for some time in Sweden. He's got something, maybe he could play left wing? Ogbu an emergency winger in a 4-4-2?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
friskneymariner
November 27, 2019, 9:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Think yesterday Vernham could have done a job in last 15,we need to get him back a.s.a.p.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2019, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Agreed, we haven't got wingers at the club aside from Max Wright. Vernam is banging them in on loan, I really think he would be the answer if he played in a two, not showhorned out to the right wing. Play 3-5-2 with Hendrie when he's back and Gibson as the wing backs, at least you'd have some width playing that way and you get two up front. No point is us asking for 4-4-2 when we don't have the wingers.

But if you wanted to play 4-4-2, Seb Ring was a midfielder for some time in Sweden. He's got something, maybe he could play left wing? Ogbu an emergency winger in a 4-4-2?  

Hewitt is a better crosser than Hendrie. If we’re persisting with 433, I’d like to see Wright and Vernam alongside Hanson.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
golfer
November 27, 2019, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Where is Ring-doesn't anybody like him any more- I thought he was improving but now he has to buy a ticket to get in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Northbank Mariner
November 27, 2019, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from golfer
Where is Ring-doesn't anybody like him any more- I thought he was improving but now he has to buy a ticket to get in.

He was on the bench against Northampton....
Rumours are awry that he and his partner haven't settled here and he's got homesick...
Shame for any player who moves country to feel like that but to be perfectly honest, he's not lit us up as fans as he,?..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.