Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chris Hargreaves so what's your thoughts?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 433 Guests

Chris Hargreaves so what's your thoughts?

This thread currently has 9,257 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 26, 2019, 11:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH
Surely we did our due diligence and checked out a relative unknown’s references? I mean we were told repeatedly about due diligence around the time he was appointed weren’t we?

You'd like to think so but I've heard more than one credible rumour that some of the players didn't rate him as a manager. Doesn't mean his CV was "massaged" of course but you never know..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
Abdul19
November 27, 2019, 5:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
This would also mean that Burnley and Eskimo that Swedish club didn't realise his spell at Lincoln under 18s was just doing photocopying too. Unless he never worked for them either and that fancy piece with draughts pieces on beating Malmo and Seb Ring are all some elaborate scam 😱

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
Tommy
November 27, 2019, 10:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pen penfras

Oh dear, we do love a good conspiracy on here. It's funny how all of these stories always come out about a manager after it's gone mammaries up. A bit like everybody knew Bignot was a loose cannon, everybody knew about Newell etc. Now Jolley isn't a real coach and is making it up...

No-one's suggesting he isn't a real coach though are they.

Just that two of the Academies he worked at were predominantly doing some background work for that Academy, and that a significant figure at another hadn't heard of him despite being there at the time MJ was. What you make of that is up to you.

To get the UEFA Pro Licence is no easy feat. In fact it's an unbelievable achievement for someone who never played the game professionally. And you wouldn't get anywhere near that level of qualification without being able to coach.

I was in favour of him being appointed at the time he was, based on what little information we knew of him. Would I have expected the Club to have done due diligence and asked about at previous Clubs? Yes. They probably did, I don't know. In reality, whether he coached Palace/Crewe/Barnsley/Forest u9s or not would hardly have been a deal breaker anyway would it. I just find it interesting because he certainly didn't live up to my expectations as a "modern-day" coach, and looking at his career he doesn't seem to have hung around very long anywhere he's been at.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
November 27, 2019, 3:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
No-one's suggesting he isn't a real coach though are they.

Just that two of the Academies he worked at were predominantly doing some background work for that Academy, and that a significant figure at another hadn't heard of him despite being there at the time MJ was. What you make of that is up to you.

To get the UEFA Pro Licence is no easy feat. In fact it's an unbelievable achievement for someone who never played the game professionally. And you wouldn't get anywhere near that level of qualification without being able to coach.

I was in favour of him being appointed at the time he was, based on what little information we knew of him. Would I have expected the Club to have done due diligence and asked about at previous Clubs? Yes. They probably did, I don't know. In reality, whether he coached Palace/Crewe/Barnsley/Forest u9s or not would hardly have been a deal breaker anyway would it. I just find it interesting because he certainly didn't live up to my expectations as a "modern-day" coach, and looking at his career he doesn't seem to have hung around very long anywhere he's been at.

In any case, coaches are easier to employ than miracle-workers, and saving us from relegation was just about a miracle in my eyes.

I believe MJ was the most significant factor in that - whether coaching-wise or otherwise.

In the end it was best for both parties - Jolley was clearly overly stressed by the job.

Anyone on the Fishy sure they could handle the pressure of being Town manager? I'm damn sure I couldn't...

MJ saved us once when it seemed near-impossible. I think we should let him go quietly.
Reply: 43 - 49
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2019, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 137

In any case, coaches are easier to employ than miracle-workers, and saving us from relegation was just about a miracle in my eyes.

I believe MJ was the most significant factor in that - whether coaching-wise or otherwise.

In the end it was best for both parties - Jolley was clearly overly stressed by the job.

Anyone on the Fishy sure they could handle the pressure of being Town manager? I'm damn sure I couldn't...

MJ saved us once when it seemed near-impossible. I think we should let him go quietly.

I'm not sure he fulfilled his side of that bargain.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
Ipswin
November 27, 2019, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pen penfras

It's funny how all of these stories always come out about a manager after it's gone mammaries up.

I suppose because no one dared to suggest it while Jolley was in charge as most people thought he was the dogs balderdash and the sun shone out of him and anyone brave enough to say otherwise got crucified

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
TownSNAFU5
November 27, 2019, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
MJ did at least keep us in the League.

Not sure of the validity of saying “he never stayed at one club for very long”.  Neither did the special one (or the modest one as he has re-invented himself).  All he ever did was keep winning trophies.

I can believe the other interesting comments made above.  Just looking at his management decisions this season raises doubts about his abilities. In hindsight, he seems to talk a good fight.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Rik e B
November 27, 2019, 6:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'll forever be grateful for his miracle work of saving a doomed side and club from the drop, but although the idea of Jolley seemed all grand and positive I'm thinking he was beginning to be found out and his departure could turn out to be for greater good. And that it came at the right time, we just need to make sure a competent hand is brought in who continues some of the ethos (blooding youth etc) but can back up what is said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
forza ivano
November 27, 2019, 7:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
I suspect that history will judge him as having done more good than bad. I try to remember the positivity he brought on n off the field for the first half of his term rather than the last 2 months when he was more worried about what winless stevenage might fo to us, rather than making them worry about what we could do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
Rik e B
November 27, 2019, 8:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
He's left us in a better position than we he arrived.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chris Hargreaves so what's your thoughts?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.