Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 422 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 89,792 views. Print
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lee65
November 23, 2019, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from marinerdazza
How! will we attract Jack Hargreaves? I thought he was out of town?

He'd certainly be "steady" and "calm", but cant see him bringing excitement back to BP  

(you realise very few people will know who you are talking about!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 455
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2019, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from chaos33
Well I agree that we need a new manager swiftly but that is a distinctly underwhelming menu of options if you ask me - mostly populated by people who either aren’t managing now or who haven’t really achieved anything in management but who have been listed because they have some form of past connection with the club. Futcher, Hargreaves, Stockdale....? Why? They wouldn’t be getting a look in elsewhere at EFL level. Chuck in a couple of others who would probably be fairly cheap so would enable us to carry on in the same vein trying to hold our own without really making a statement or investing in some ambitious objectives and you’ll forgive me if I don’t get too excited.

I do hope we are going to make a well considered and purposeful statement of intent with this next appointment because this depressing, repetitive pattern of being utterly sh1t in the end is sapping my will to go on paying any interest.

In reality does anyone on here know who’s applied?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 455
chaos33
November 23, 2019, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
No, and people saying ‘I think it’s out of this shortlist’ are just clutching at straws but it’s pretty depressing to think that we might appoint Chris chuffing Hargreaves, or Ben Futcher or someone else who ‘knows the club’, as though that’s of any relevance. I can’t say the prospect of appointing nearly every name quoted has captured the imagination. I almost hope we go for someone not yet mentioned. The only two proffered so far that I think show some intent and promise would be Tisdale and Heckinbottom.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 455
Teesknees
November 23, 2019, 9:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from lee65

He'd certainly be "steady" and "calm", but cant see him bringing excitement back to BP  

(you realise very few people will know who you are talking about!)

He could be the new manager, but not sure... How...... as he's dead!

Bunty's gone but Fred's still around!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 455
lee65
November 23, 2019, 9:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Teesknees

Very good 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 455
Swansea_Mariner
November 23, 2019, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I'm tottaly with you chaos, I mean Hargreaves I like him, but manager wtf he had one unsuccessful stint at Torquay. No thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 455
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2019, 9:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Teesknees

Bunty In !!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 455
jamesgtfc
November 23, 2019, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Meza
personally I think its out of 5

Nolan
Hargreaves
Wild
Stockdale
Weaver

No chance of Weaver, his dad is one of the richest men in Yorkshire and his job at Harrogate must be one of the safest management jobs around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 455
Poojah
November 23, 2019, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from chaos33
Futcher, Hargreaves, Stockdale....? Why? They wouldn’t be getting a look in elsewhere at EFL level.

I think that’s a pretty good litmus test right there. If they wouldn’t make the shortlist of any other League Two club then why should they make ours? Sentimentality and ‘connections’ don’t cut it - they very, very rarely pay off in football.

That said; realism is needed. How attractive is this role right now? This club is a manager’s graveyard. Since 1994, 25 years, only two managers have evaded the sack - Slade MK1 and Hurst (I’m purposely not differentiating between sackings and mutual consent, because that’s just bóllocks).

No manager sacked by this club since 2004 (Paul Groves) have gone on to manage another league side since. It looks unlikely Jolley will buck that trend. Come here, get it wrong (as most do) and your career is over.

I reckon our list of prospects is a mix of League Two semi-failures (Nolan, Kewell), aspirational non-leaguers (Weaver, Evatt, Flowers) and first-time chancers (who knows?). It’s entirely possible many of the above don’t fancy it for a variety of reasons.

My, raw, gut feeling is we’ll end up with someone even more obscure of any of those I’ve mentioned, as we did with Jolley who to his credit kept us up and stabilised the club. Time will tell.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 455
The_Laughing_Mariner
November 23, 2019, 10:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
Hargreaves
How

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 455
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.