This thread currently has 6,013 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
November 21, 2019, 5:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
It was the ball that was to blame. (According to the commentators anyway)  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
FishOutOfWater
November 21, 2019, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
It was the ball that was to blame. (According to the commentators anyway)  

Sack the ball
Sack the ball
Sack the ball

🎶🎶🎶
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 33
arryarryarry
November 21, 2019, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Gibson should have tucked that last kick of the game away... not that it would have made any difference at all though

At that point I had given up the will to live.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
LondonMariner43
November 21, 2019, 6:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Surely looking for positives is what being a supporter is all about.  I don’t agree that the players weren’t trying.  And some of the reaction on here is way over the top.  

Newport are a horrible team and it’s no surprise that they have done well in the Cup because higher up teams aren’t used to their style.  It’s like Wimbledon of old.  It was probably the worst possible game to have.

Let’s get behind the team and accentuate the positive not dig ourselves into even more despondency!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Rik e B
November 21, 2019, 6:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Effort there but zero belief and as match wore on, fight. You could tell they had given up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
lukeo
November 21, 2019, 8:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,356
Gold Stars: 143
Sorry i can accept it is tough when you get pressed all over the pitch but you have to have a game plan or tweak things.
Ie last night we could easily have gone to a 4231 or 433 and just hit balls into channels for the two wingers to press the defence / run onto.. Instead we just hit the ball to their full backs who had 10-20 or even 30 yards of space with no opponent around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Rik e B
November 21, 2019, 8:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Yeah I noticed that a lot. Pointless with no one anywhere near those areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
marinette
November 21, 2019, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3

how has it turned so bad so quickly?

That's exactly the question I've been asking since last night.  We started the season positively, picked up a few points, showed some team spirit and a great ability to fight back after being behind - not just once but repeatedly.  I felt quite comfortable with it all, and even dared to hope that we'd get better as the team developed.  Town fans reacted superbly when we were hammered by Chelsea, but I did wonder how the players themselves would respond ... I needn't have worried because they rolled their sleeves up, made the long journey down to top of the league Exeter and came away with an inspirational win.  They couldn't have responded any better.

So how has it gone so bad, so quickly?  Jolley's departure (especially the nature of it) was a surprise, and I'm not sure what I expected afterwards, but it certainly wasn't a performance like last night's. I'm not one to give up when things go wrong, and have always been fiercely proud of our club, but last night was incredibly hard to take.  It's not as if Newport were even that good!  How come we let them pull all the strings?  We just seemed to continually launch the ball,never knowing (or even caring?) where it would land and inevitably, nine times out of ten, it went to a Newport player.  On the rare occasion we did manage to get on the end of it, Newport players were straightaway chivvying and forcing our players into making hurried and misplaced passes, or just taking it off our players and making it look easy.  It's been looking a little bit like that for the last few matches I've seen, but what I saw last night was the absolute pits.

London Mariner's post did remind me that players like Ohman and Hendrie were missing, we didn't have Ogbu's unpredictability, or the battling qualities of Max Wright, (not to mention Hanson)  - and I think I was in need of that reminder, so thank you.  And IF we were better in the first half, then that helps a bit too - as I didn't watch the full match  - but what I did see was dire.

Anyway, I'm wondering now, do we need new players as well as a new manager, or can these current players regain some of their self respect and turn things around?   Whatever the outcome in our next match, I hope they can at least put up a bit of a fight rather than rolling over and letting the opposition make us look like no-hopers.  We'll be getting a new manager soon, and the players really need to think about their futures.  In a way I'm glad that last night was a cup game - it's made me not want to even think about what could happen in the league this season.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Rik e B
November 21, 2019, 8:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Great Post, I too missed most the first half and got a bit just on radio as was busy at work. Watched back end of second on screen so perhaps my view a bit scewif - but we should be battling back and ending strongly, making a fist of it not rolling over and giving up with useless tactics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Roast Em Bobby
November 21, 2019, 8:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
My theory is that we’ve fallen away since Max got injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › last night - a different view

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.