3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mallyner
November 21, 2019, 9:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Take care mate, depression is a terrible thing.

Most people who support a club, rely on them to provide something uplifting to raise the spirit, which can affect the whole area. I'm afraid there is little at the moment coming from our beloved Mariners, but hopefully it won't be too long coming back.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
crusty ole pie
November 21, 2019, 10:57am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Best wishes Hagrid hope your able to return soon, although not unwell at the moment can fully understand your situation.
I missed the home cup game cos I could not stand the thought of feeling depressed after a game which watching last night confirmed my actions
We live in hope that the good times may one day return but after 20 years of constant decline one starts to question yourself
Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
marinerjase
November 21, 2019, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
There’s no right or wrong answer or response to this. Affects a lot of people in differing ways. My release valve -after years of avoiding folk - was going to football. But it was more about meeting up with a couple of people beforehand rather than what was happening on the pitch. I stopped going after that fans forum debacle other year, in protest. And in all honesty, although I follow online/listen on radio - I haven’t missed it. Mainly because it felt more like a chore rather than something I wanted to do. Been back a handful of times but it’s not the same. Once you stop going the habit is easily broken.

As said everyone is different. Take time out/aside but don’t cut yourself off - I have/did - not the best way. Keep contact with those you value, take an interest in something/anything to stop mind wandering, keep active, get time socially, even if just for an hour a week. Don’t take anything on message boards/social media to heart - irrelevant- only opinion of yourself you should be bothered about is those you care for/about. (Really don’t understand the constant moaning about red crosses on here - for that reason. Though it is a feature that doesn’t add anything/contribute, and it could be argued - could add to the mindset of someone who’s struggling, if they are that way inclined)

Anyway - hope you get back to feeling better soon Hagrid.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
TownSNAFU5
November 21, 2019, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
It is worth making the point that clinical depression is completely different from feeling bad about a crapp football team.  Depression is also far worse, even though this can be hard to understand for  many people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
GrimRob
November 21, 2019, 10:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Just caught up with this due to health issues in my own family so I fully sympathise with your plight. Football and by extension the Fishy are leisure activities we do in our spare time. Normal life and the people around you are vastly more important. Come back when it feels right, you'll know if and when the moment arrives, but in the meantime get the help you need.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 27
jock dock tower
November 21, 2019, 10:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
There but for the grace of....go any one of us. Been there as well, and manage mental health issues fairly well now (retiring helps!) Best of luck with getting back on track, because it will come.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Rik e B
November 22, 2019, 5:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The grass is greener my brother, live in hope of a brighter day. And trust me, that day will come, and you can look back with a wry smile. There's always hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
thornemariner
November 22, 2019, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I understand where you're coming from Hagrid

We invest so much of our time and emotion in to supporting Town ( and a lot of money too )

If you're struggling with things then maybe it's a wise move to step  back for a while until hopefully things have turned around a bit for you and the club

Good luck and take care

I have a lot of empathy and hope you get better soon Hagrid. Alcohol addiction  led me into some very dark places and I never thought I would come back into the light. That was many years ago and I couldn't go to games for a few seasons because I associated going to games with some of the worst of my drinking. I did get back though and never thought myself as less of a fan during my absence as the club still occupied a special place in my heart. Always will.

More recently and my dad had a stroke which led to vascular dementia. That was awful for him and for me. I was coming over from Donny for games and throughout the week to see my dad and would go to the game on a Saturday afternoon to relieve all that stress. Sadly it was during the last months of Slade Mark 2 and going to the matches made me feel even worse and I wouldn't have thought that possible. Had that continued I would have had to stop going. It was great seeing friends but dreadful watching the team play. On balance, I was better off not going and that isn't to think less of my wonderfully supportive friends and you were one of them Tim.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Needed Break from Fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.