2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
November 20, 2019, 10:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Limbrick got it totally wrong tonight,

Davis on the right and Hewitt in the middle - while Clifton/Whitehouse are on the bench. With Hendrie injured Hewitt had to play right back if anywhere his awful in midfield.

Cardwell on? Should of moved cook up and brought clifton or whitehouse earlier (or just played with 10 men cos cardwell is that bad.

Am guessing Ogbu is injured and with us only naming 6 subs but Hanson around the bench must of picked up a injury.

Either way I expected a reaction and I think that’s probably the worse performance of the season.

Oh and Vernam needs to come back.

We’re in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
November 20, 2019, 10:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Any news on why Hanson was not in the squad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's not the tactics. It's the lack of mentality and effort by the players. As the game went on instead of trying harder they got more half-hearted. Underhit passes, hospital passes, not winning 50:50 balls, poor control.

I've seen plenty of players played out of position, but if they approach it with the right mentality it's not too bad.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
lukeo
November 20, 2019, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,355
Gold Stars: 143
I managed to get it on just after kick off and watched until full time and i couldn't tell you..
A. What formation we were playing
B. Who was playing where? (4-5 players i still cant work out where they was playing)

Sincee full time I've seen we set up 352.. Who was upfront? Who was the 3 central midfielders? Genuinely couldn't tell you. Was Rose ment to be left wing back? Cook upfront or cam? I genuinely don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
scott_gtfc_89
November 20, 2019, 10:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It's not the tactics. It's the lack of mentality and effort by the players. As the game went on instead of trying harder they got more half-hearted. Underhit passes, hospital passes, not winning 50:50 balls, poor control.

I've seen plenty of players played out of position, but if they approach it with the right mentality it's not too bad.

Cardwell has been crap since his been here even when the team has been playing well.

Hewitt has been crap in midfield since his been here even when the team is playing well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:27pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

Cardwell has been crap since his been here even when the team has been playing well.

Hewitt has been crap in midfield since his been here even when the team is playing well.

If that's the case then it has nothing to do with formation or tactics.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
HertsGTFC
November 20, 2019, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227

I think we have a set of players who’s band with has been maxed out by things being too complicated, “continental”, technical, clever and structured.

Too many A licences and not enough licence to just go out and effing play football

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
promotion plaice
November 20, 2019, 10:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from mimma
Any news on why Hanson was not in the squad?

Had a rant probably.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
scott_gtfc_89
November 20, 2019, 10:35pm
Lager Top Drinker

If that's the case then it has nothing to do with formation or tactics.

Well if you haven’t won in 8 games and look like a relegation team  with no clue or hope am guessing it is the tactics and formation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Mariner Timsky
November 20, 2019, 10:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Why oh why are they making playing football look so difficult?!?

It’s a simple game!!!

And we have players who can fit and play well in certain positions but oh let’s play them in random positions and a formation that makes no sense!!!

What really is so wrong with the basics?!?!?

FOUR

FOUR

TWO

Play Hess and either Whitehouse or Clifton in the middle

So infuriating it’s ridiculous

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we have a set of players who’s band with has been maxed out by things being too complicated, “continental”, technical, clever and structured.

Too many A licences and not enough licence to just go out and effing play football

Maybe asking too much of them. I think less gifted players with the right mentality could deliver more. I get the horses for course thing, but too often we see players who don't know what to do and it's not exactly rocket science.

e.g. there's a team mate with two players on him, what do you do? (a) Pass it to him, (b) to someone else or (c) move with the ball? Too often they choose (a).
Or you have the ball to one side of central midfield in your own half and there is a team mate across the park and an opposing forward approaching midway between you. Do you (a) tap it to your team mate, (b) pass it back or (c) look to knock it up the park/out wide? Pick mostly (a)s and you get a contract at GTFC.

It doesn't matter whether you're a left back playing in the hole, or a goalkeeper on the wing, all players should have a bit of basic nous.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
mimma
November 20, 2019, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
What struck me was our defenders just launching it as far as possible upfield. If they did attempt to pass it they gave it to a Newport player.

Just like kick and rush in the school playground.

There's something seriously wrong with the current squad of players if that is all they can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
golfer
November 20, 2019, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Looks like Jolly and Limbrick were tarred with the same brush
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

Well if you haven’t won in 8 games and look like a relegation team  with no clue or hope am guessing it is the tactics and formation

Or the players underperforming.

Both probably. But I've seen shapeless teams (e.g. under Hurst in the Conference) beat other teams simply because we had better players. We played some excrement football at times but often Disley, or Podge, or Bogle got us the points.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Rik e B
November 21, 2019, 1:49am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Confidence and morale is shot, that's the main issue. mammary-arsing about with formations hasn't helped and probably caused the confidence drop to a degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
Mayaman
November 21, 2019, 4:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 73
I am not sure why Kingston Mariner got so many dislikes.  The players have to step up to.  You can't blame it all on tactics. I am in a new school and it's being managed badly with some awful decision making.  All the teachers are pretty peed off but we go into every day and strive to plan the best lesson possible.   They should stop sulking and pull their socks up.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
golfer
November 21, 2019, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Sack the headmaster and replace him with the assistant headmaster who has the same notebook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 21, 2019, 8:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Those UEFA coaching licences are really good aren’t they?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
denni266
November 21, 2019, 9:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
How the hell can a team that not long ago was right up at the top end of the league just turn in too relagation fodder. There has to be a reason , they are all pro footballers . oh hang on. does pro just mean they are paid for it full time , not that they are good at it ? mind you the whole club is no good top to bottom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
November 21, 2019, 9:39am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

This is the only decent post in this thread, and probably the only one that hits the nail on the head!
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Formation / Tactics

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.