4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
carrot top
November 19, 2019, 9:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
Just Tinpot - sorry but would not be happy if we had a ground like that. Smacks of low league a bit like Telford

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
RichMariner
November 19, 2019, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I don't want to sound snobbish but honestly I wouldn't want to watch Grimsby play in a stadium like that.

Even if it's packed to the rafters, I can't imagine it being intimidating for any visiting team or its fans. It just looks grey, boxy and, seats apart, boring.

Not a fan of open corners. Looks great as a community leisure complex and I get its wider function, no problems with that.

Selfishly, for football, it just doesn't look inspiring at all.

If we're going to invest millions of pounds into a new stadium and redevelop the local community then I'd like to hope we could build something a bit more iconic.

Then again, we aren't close to laying a brick so well done York for delivering something.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
scrumble
November 19, 2019, 10:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
I understand  clubs at this level don't have a lot cash to splash making it look amazing, but you'd think the architects could have put a little more thought in to it to give a little bit of character without it ramping up the cost.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Bigdog
November 19, 2019, 11:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from scrumble
I understand  clubs at this level don't have a lot cash to splash making it look amazing, but you'd think the architects could have put a little more thought in to it to give a little bit of character without it ramping up the cost.

The York stadium complex cost 44.2 million!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
promotion plaice
November 19, 2019, 11:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Never been but from what I have seen I would like our new stadium to be something like the New York Stadium

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Poojah
November 20, 2019, 5:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,152
Gold Stars: 1,489
To put it into context, York are currently plying their trade in the National League North and in terms of facilities and modernity this ground will almost certainly be the best at that level if not the level above (Fylde might argue differently). But that’s not really the point.

When I go to the football, how pristine the toilets are or whether the concourse has tellies in it doesn’t really define my day. The stadium’s array of conferencing facilities certainly doesn’t.

They’re moving from a characterful stadium, minutes’ walk from a fantastic, historic city centre with great pubs / restaurants and brilliant public transport links. As an away day, York is (for the time being) truly unique. They’re moving to a functional if modern stadium devoid of soul or personality, plonked on a truly dismal retail park miles from anything you’d want as a football supporter on a day out; I can get a Boots meal deal during the week if I’m desperate.

This stadium may well work out for the club commercially, but that doesn’t mean that fans will like it. I want Town to get their new stadium as much as the next man, but I pray our future doesn’t look anything like this.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Abdul19
November 20, 2019, 7:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
The 90s seem to be very fashionable at the moment. Good to see York are on trend with this out of town plastic offering.  

After the break, a garish goalkeeper top.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Jackie Lewis
November 20, 2019, 10:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
I wouldn’t mind something like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myresjöhus_Arena
12,000 capacity with 2000 safe standing
Probably cost a fortune to build but that’s where Mr Shute comes in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Jackie Lewis
November 20, 2019, 10:16am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myresjöhus_Arena

Hope this link works
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 20, 2019, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

Glumford Park, Salford.

Not quite sure what some expect from a team in National League North.

On reflection you are probably right but the club was still in the league when this project was planned and designed.

It's almost as though they got relegated to suit the stadium.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › York city - new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.