Ipswin
November 24, 2019, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

Swin, I was merely responding to a poster who wanted the new manager to be somebody who had played the game professionally. I don't necessarily regard  this as a critera but the poster I replied to did. That poster was you!

And I still regard that as a vital criteria. Whilst you clearly do not surely it would have been sufficient for you to simply say you disagreed rather than going out to prove me wrong by quoting Lawrie Mac (who as far as we were concerned was a one season wonder anyway)

My reply was intended to show that he had previous management experience, another vital thing IMO so suffice it to say I'd like both in our next manager rather than a banker who clearly had none of the necessary attributes, an ex player who couldn't manage a Sunday league team or a Sunday league (or Conference) manager who hasn't played the game

Chances are of course someone with no idea of Football League management and / or playing the game (but with all the coaching badges) will get the job because he'll be cheap

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 127
Rik e B
November 24, 2019, 9:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'd like someone who's had success building a squad and getting a club on a positive spiral, even if they still newish to management game or from non-league.

We can't be risking ex-players, former pros or whatever who have no proven tracked record of building a comerady and success inducing atmosphere along with a bit of tried and tested tactical nous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
Mighty_Mariner
November 24, 2019, 9:45pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Bloody hell I hope not, at least appoint someone who's played the game!

Why is that important though Swin?

Not a dig my friend, just interested that's all.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 24, 2019, 10:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Why is that important though Swin?

Not a dig my friend, just interested that's all.

It is possible for a Nigel Adkins to become a decent manager but I think they have to have experience of working in the pro game even if not playing it. Nevertheless such a manager will be in the minority simply because of the number of ex-players wanting a career in coaching and management.

Player management is a huge part of the job and the psychology of a testosterone filled pro dressing room is not the easiest to deal with. It is really unlike any other working environment. In spite of the increased number of coaching courses and qualifications and sports science advances, in the end the manager’s job is to get every player to perform above the level they thought they were capable of. That is a very person to person situation. To do that without the experience of previously living as a pro player is going to be very difficult. On top of that the manager has to be tactically adaptable and able to fit players into his system.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
The_Laughing_Mariner
November 25, 2019, 9:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
If the Freeman st bosses weren't intrested they wouldn't have produced plans with a stadium in the middle of it

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2019, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Bigdog

His exact words..

"Will there be a takeover or not.. irrespective of that, the football club will be moving forward very very quickly with relocation, If it isn't the Fish Dock, and I struggle to think it can be, then we will move quickly to pursue Freeman Street and get something into the ground as soon as possible. So exciting times.."

That is a mixed blessing.

Yes it would be great to re-locate but it would be disappointing if the current board oversee it. Does anyone have any faith they would make a proper job of it?
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
moosey_club
November 25, 2019, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Gaffer58
So, does Mr Fenty get to chose where he wants the new ground, what if those in charge of Freeman Street aren't interested.

As he is the majority shareholder of the club, has the club by its b@lls by effect of his loans , is deputy leader of the council and portfolio holder in charge of housing & regeneration of the council then i would think he holds nearly all the cards to unlock a solution.....the only thing missing is the money to do it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
Bigdog
November 25, 2019, 8:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from moosey_club

As he is the majority shareholder of the club, has the club by its b@lls by effect of his loans , is deputy leader of the council and portfolio holder in charge of housing & regeneration of the council then i would think he holds nearly all the cards to unlock a solution.....the only thing missing is the money to do it.

Done deal.. JF has already asked Corbyn for one of his spare billions..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
Gaffer58
November 25, 2019, 8:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Bigdog

Done deal.. JF has already asked Corbyn for one of his spare billions..

Trouble is Corbyn wants to tax the rich, I think Mr Fenty's comes into this bracket.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 127
forza ivano
November 28, 2019, 5:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Interesting tweets from John Tondeur yesterday - rather wonder whether the infamous MJ rant was a good excuse for Fenty to get rid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › JF on sports talk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.