Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Manager already ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Manager already ?

This thread currently has 10,035 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
November 17, 2019, 1:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from rancido

Maybe but I feel that highly successful and well paid players would struggle to understand the budget restraints of lower league football clubs.

Yes, agree entirely, what we need is someone who undertsands budget constraints at this level ,  possibly with a strong financial background with some coaching qualifications who understa...........oh hang on

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Madeleymariner
November 17, 2019, 1:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Maringer
A friend heard a rumour that we'll have a new owner during the next week or so and he wants to bring in his own manager, hence Jolley's departure. Hearsay, I know, but quite feasible possible if the new owner has a big enough wallet (and probably ego).

Its that Glen Tamplin bloke  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Madeleymariner
November 17, 2019, 1:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from rancido

Maybe but I feel that highly successful and well paid players would struggle to understand the budget restraints of lower league football clubs.

Like Sol Campbell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2019, 1:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

That may be true, plus the fact that their expectations of what the players of that level can achieve on the pitch can be too high.

Just to modify that - unless you are like Mike Lyons and find the players are actually better than you.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Perkins
November 17, 2019, 1:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Whoever the next applicant for the job is, he needs to do his homework on our board, trawl through the comments on this site and only then apply if he has serious masochistic tendencies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
rancido
November 17, 2019, 1:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 3610
Choosing a manager is a lottery. Most of the time it doesn't work out.

All you can do is try to pick someone who matches your philosophy as a club. I think jolley matched that. Blooding the youth and getting involved with the community.

This match up works both ways though. And it seems our boards ambitions didn't match jolleys. I hear the final straw was the Stevenage game where fenty cancelled the players overnight hotel. Leaving three players to go down anyway and pay for themselves. Not exactly a board who are 'going for it' this year.

Therefore the next manager must be one who wants to progress youth through the club and play attractive football our fans want to see. The likes of Holloway just wouldn't put up with fentys excrement.

Tisdale would be the stand out for me. But feel he would be looking for a job higher up the league.

Ian evatt is doing wonders at Barrow on limited funds. And if he has learnt anything from his time playing under Holloway then he will progress further up the leagues.

The problem is the board. Their complete lack of any involvement of progressing the club. You can do excrement loads more to build a club than just chuck Money at it. So who bloody knows who the next manager will be. Probably be the candidate who agrees to team up with fenty and lay into the poor guy hosting the next agm.

I do find the comment about the Stevenage game impossible to believe. When a club plays away it's travel expenses are paid by the home club, which in that case would have been Stevenage. Those are the only monies a club gets from an away game.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
ROKERITE
November 17, 2019, 1:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from barrattstandman
Henrik Larsson anyone. Says in today's Daily Mail willing to start anywhere. Says he doesn't need to do another days work but wants to manage in England . Just missed out on the Southend job . Worth an enquiry.

It was a strange saga involving Larsson and Southend. Ron Martin (Southend's owner) had negotiated with the Swede for weeks and was all set to announce his appointment when the third member of the proposed new management team, Tommy Johnson, took a job with another League One team; it turned out to be Blackpool. As a result the whole deal was off because Larsson felt he needed the Englishman's knowledge of lower division English football if he was to take the job.
I think it was a very fortunate turn of events for The Shrimpers because as a consequence they appointed Sol Campbell. Although he's yet to pick up a point since his arrival I think there's good reason to be optimistic if you're a Southend United supporter now Campbell is in charge. I thought the Larsson appointment would have been a high profile disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
chaos33
November 17, 2019, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from rancido

I do find the comment about the Stevenage game impossible to believe. When a club plays away it's travel expenses are paid by the home club, which in that case would have been Stevenage. Those are the only monies a club gets from an away game.

Please point me in the direction of a source that stipulates that...

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
November 17, 2019, 8:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Think that’s only for 12pm or earlier  kick offs
Reply: 38 - 46
golfer
November 17, 2019, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from chaos33

Please point me in the direction of a source that stipulates that...

EFL  rule  27.4  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Manager already ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.