Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we actually be looking long-term?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 147 Guests

Could we actually be looking long-term?

This thread currently has 3,273 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
November 15, 2019, 8:43pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I think we're all a little surprised as the news from today and on the face of it looks like a poor decision.

BUT, could the board be actually looking at the long-term in making this decision? With the Bury situation meaning only 1 relegation place this season and Macclesfield looking likely to receive a points dock, we have a fairly risk - free season ahead potentially. I have it on very good authority that Jolley has applied for at least one vacant management job in recent times, specifically the Luton vacancy when Jones left for Stoke. Did the club become aware of Jolley touting himself about and question his long-term loyalty? Football is a small world.

In making this decision now it gives the new man time to assess the squad in time for January and use the season to get things in place potentially without the threat of relegation.

Just my take on it but I don't think Jolley was ever going to be here for a long time and in applying for different jobs demonstrates that he was already looking to move on despite the job here being very much unfinished.

I liked MJ and he did a lot of good, particularly early on and re-established a relationship between the club and fans, going to BBQ's, fans' birthday parties, presenting shirts etc, but how much has that gone on recently? I'd much rather have someone in who has a long-term vision and doesn't constantly have their eye on other vacancies.

Just my take and this may not have played any part in the boards decision, but things go on in the background that we are not privvy to and the timing of this suggests something other than a 'recent poor run of results'

We just need to get behind Anthony, Dave and the boys now and try and push on.

#UTM.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
November 15, 2019, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I think we're all a little surprised as the news from today and on the face of it looks like a poor decision.

BUT, could the board be actually looking at the long-term in making this decision? With the Bury situation meaning only 1 relegation place this season and Macclesfield looking likely to receive a points dock, we have a fairly risk - free season ahead potentially. I have it on very good authority that Jolley has applied for at least one vacant management job in recent times, specifically the Luton vacancy when Jones left for Stoke. Did the club become aware of Jolley touting himself about and question his long-term loyalty? Football is a small world.

In making this decision now it gives the new man time to assess the squad in time for January and use the season to get things in place potentially without the threat of relegation.

Just my take on it but I don't think Jolley was ever going to be here for a long time and in applying for different jobs demonstrates that he was already looking to move on despite the job here being very much unfinished.

I liked MJ and he did a lot of good, particularly early on and re-established a relationship between the club and fans, going to BBQ's, fans' birthday parties, presenting shirts etc, but how much has that gone on recently? I'd much rather have someone in who has a long-term vision and doesn't constantly have their eye on other vacancies.

Just my take and this may not have played any part in the boards decision, but things go on in the background that we are not privvy to and the timing of this suggests something other than a 'recent poor run of results'

We just need to get behind Anthony, Dave and the boys now and try and push on.

#UTM.

Okay I'll out my source about something now..I mentioned about Jolley applying for the Lincoln job, which coincided with out down turn in fortunes.  That source was Harry Clifton's junior manager..also that Harry wasn't hapoy with how things were going under Jolley and he was(Harry) was actively looking at getting out .....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
ginnywings
November 15, 2019, 8:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Who's Harry Clifton junior?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
HertsGTFC
November 15, 2019, 9:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Okay I'll out my source about something now..I mentioned about Jolley applying for the Lincoln job, which coincided with out down turn in fortunes.  That source was Harry Clifton's junior manager..also that Harry wasn't hapoy with how things were going under Jolley and he was(Harry) was actively looking at getting out .....

It would be just like the stupidity of JF to bin a manager on the basis of a Youth product in his 2nd full season being p1ssed off at not starting.

Though I doubted it last weekend Northbank maybe Jolley didn’t apply for the Lincoln job but I wonder if his agent did and we’ve got wind of it hence the “mutual consent” AKA no money changes hands bit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Northbank Mariner
November 15, 2019, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It would be just like the stupidity of JF to bin a manager on the basis of a Youth product in his 2nd full season being p1ssed off at not starting.

Though I doubted it last weekend Northbank maybe Jolley didn’t apply for the Lincoln job but I wonder if his agent did and we’ve got wind of it hence the “mutual consent” AKA no money changes hands bit.

All I can say Herts is that it p!ssed the playing staff off... he sold the senior players a pup saying they were going for it, yet only  2 months in he applied for another position outside of town...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Mighty_Mariner
November 15, 2019, 9:20pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10

All I can say Herts is that it p!ssed the playing staff off... he sold the senior players a pup saying they were going for it, yet only  2 months in he applied for another position outside of town...

I didn't know MJ was into dog breeding 🤔

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
marinerdazza
November 15, 2019, 9:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
No. Hope this helps.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Freemoash88
November 15, 2019, 9:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I don't think you can blame managers for looking around for something better, we don't exactly give managers time nowadays do we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
moosey_club
November 15, 2019, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I have it on very good authority that Jolley has applied for at least one vacant management job in recent times, specifically the Luton vacancy when Jones left for Stoke. Did the club become aware of Jolley touting himself about and question his long-term loyalty? Football is a small world.

Haha, our last two managers were fired after 5 months and less than 12 months in, we can hardly take any moral high ground.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
HertsGTFC
November 15, 2019, 9:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217

Maybe someone forgot it’s a small Town

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we actually be looking long-term?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.