Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › What is the ultimate aim??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 287 Guests

What is the ultimate aim??

This thread currently has 3,388 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerjase
November 15, 2019, 3:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
So here we are again... back on the search for yet another manager.

Michael Jolley came with little in terms of reputation, indeed it could be said was a risky appointment by the powers that be, and the initial quotes from within club were ‘view to long term/work to change relationships/progress youth’ etc etc - for many he wasn’t/didn’t do anything wrong ...kept us in League, the odd good performance in Cup, progress initially in League position, introduction of Youth players - could be argued that on that long term ‘remit’ he was doing okay.

For others it was time for him to go..relationships with media/strained relationship with section of support, sound bytes of being unhappy with budgets, flat performances of late, disillusioned crowd, questionable formations/tactics/selection etc etc

So back to square one...but to move forward there has to be questions asked to those running the club.   What is the aim??? What are they wanting for the future of the club???

Jolley was supposedly here for  the long term - yet not 2 years in he’s no longer around and we’re back on the managerial merry go round of approaches from the usual suspects, those no longer in game but wanting an opportunity, ‘names’wanted by supporters. Go along the tried and tested route or, like Jolley, go for the untested and give a chance too.

But by letting Jolley go (mutual or not) they’re effectively going back on the long term fit as spoken of are they not?? If survival is merely the aim - then say so - it lowers expectations of support - though I’d argue a good percentage wouldn’t be happy if that was the target. Do the board ‘want’ to progress to challenging for play offs/promotion??? Surely that has to be the ultimate aim ...progress??? If you aim to survive then things quickly go stagnant, motivation goes, crowd get fed up. Attendances drop.

There was a daft quote from a board member about being in Championship in 4/5 years etc - be realistic.

If the board are open and honest, and fans can see/buy into the product - they’ll be supportive in general.

But more years of being hoodwinked, poor relationships etc and things won’t ever change until new owners - if ever - appear.

So now is a very important time for the powers that be to decide. What do they want for the club. On and off the pitch. It isn’t just simply selecting a new manager, or employing from within.

It’s about making decisions for the long term, it’s about making a statement to its small but oh so loyal support about which direction they want to go. It’s about letting that said support get reinvigorated into a project. It’s about reinvigorating the club.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
November 15, 2019, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
My guess as to what the ultimate aim appears to be is for us to limp along, pay back the loans and avoid relegation.  That's it nothing else I believe without a new owner.

Jolley's statement says the target for the season was 14th. Wow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
forza ivano
November 15, 2019, 4:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
My guess as to what the ultimate aim appears to be is for us to limp along, pay back the loans and avoid relegation.  That's it nothing else I believe without a new owner.

Jolley's statement says the target for the season was 14th. Wow.

tbf he said it was one of the targets, but apart from that i agree with your analysis
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Tommy
November 15, 2019, 4:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think the ultimate aim has to change just because the Manager does.

The club statement (or was it a Dave Roberts statement? I can't remember) put out when Jolley was appointed talked about a Club philosophy of bringing through young players and building successful, hard-working and exciting team playing good football.

That, as an overall objective or philosophy of the Club, should not change. Just like it wouldn't if Jolley had been really successful and had been poached by bigger fish higher up the Football League. The next Manager should be someone who will fit the philosophy the Club want to go with, with a view to being better at implementing it than the previous Manager.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
GrimRob
November 15, 2019, 4:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I guess most seasons will see us mid table until we either a) have an exceptional season and reach the play-offs, b) have a terrible season and go down, c) get more money, hopefully with a new ground. Probably at least 80% of our seasons are going to be blanks whoever is in charge. The quality of players and managers we get is largely dictated by the amount of money in the pot.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 21
ginnywings
November 15, 2019, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
To play some entertaining football hopefully.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Brazilnut
November 15, 2019, 6:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Heard today in a pub so make of it what you think ...but take over imminent and Jolly's position was part of it ......can't see it myself but that is what is being said

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Northbank Mariner
November 15, 2019, 6:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Brazilnut
Heard today in a pub so make of it what you think ...but take over imminent and Jolly's position was part of it ......can't see it myself but that is what is being said

I heard in the pub ..a Juke box and people chatting...give it up brazilnut...we'd all love Carlsberg days, but don't think coming anytime soon...sadly😔😔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
HertsGTFC
November 15, 2019, 7:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
The ultimate aim? For JF to get out and get some money back........ that’s the only sim this club has.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
moosey_club
November 15, 2019, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Ultimate aim is for someone to get their money back, either until its sold lock stock, or whilst the club is running well within its means, not costing a penny or ideally making a profit, then an annual repayment can be taken then that will have to do.

I say this because .....we had long term plan Bignot ( sacked after 5 months ), quicker fix Slade (sacked less than 12 months in ) and now longer term Jolley ( within 18 months, he should be due a testimonial when compared to the last two   ).

All of the above seemed to come with the heavy endorsement of JF, all have failed, fell short or come to a sticky abrupt end.

The club has to realise times have changed, if they want Championship football within "5yrs " , a new ground within "2yrs", then they have to back that up financially, not just pipedreams, sound bites,  but actual investment and not just loans.  If they can't do that or won't do that then stop talking about them and look at what is sustainable under what they are prepared to invest.
That certainly isn't going to be two promotions and probably not even one, not short term anyway. Bigger, better quality squads with good management will give a better chance, no guarantee, but a better chance, but there seems no appetite to pay for that under the current regime.

We as supporters, young and old have to swallow that also, we are not the pre war Division 1 club, we are not the 80's division 2 club, we have become a club struggling to establish itself back in the Football League. We can all draw our own conclusions as to why that has happened. But our perception of "success" must be tempered to give any new manager a fighting chance. Ask Bury fans what success may look like.

Until either Fenty relinquishes control to any new suitable mystery owner out there or until maybe the trust rallies some sort of fan takeover we just have to accept that whoever replaces Jolley will have limited chance of traditional "success" due to all of the above.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › What is the ultimate aim??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.