This thread currently has 4,874 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 15, 2019, 3:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,044
Gold Stars: 197

Yeah, thanks MJ for keeping us up when we looked doomed and for steadying the ship.

Good luck for the future.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
Tommy
November 15, 2019, 3:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Whatever peoples views on him now are, he does deserve credit for keeping us up when he first came in.

The repercussions if we'd been relegated to non-league again would've been disastrous.

After 6 years last time, I dread to think how long it would've taken us to recover and get back up again.....if at all.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
FishOutOfWater
November 15, 2019, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
For an appreciation thread a lot of the x men are out and about ( though Swin deserves his of course for his vitriolic swipe at MJ.....as Johnny Boy once said, just couldn't help himself    )

My appreciation goes first and foremost to keeping us up after those dark days at the start of 2018... we were doomed until his efforts turned around the sinking ship with the icing on the cake being the Matt winner against Notts County

Last season there were highs and lows... of course there would be with a club that lacks any real direction and ambition

Against the odds though we had a great run in the cup.... a stand out performance in the first round and then two away days that allowed the travelling Black & White Army to express our passion for the club

The home league game against Tranmere was a stand out for me too... struggled to get to the game but made it just after they'd taken the lead and then we put on a brilliant display

This season's 5-2 at home to Port Vale was almost as good.... even during that game though there were cat calls questioning what MJ was doing. Maybe the writing was on the wall because he clearly never won over ALL the fans

Chelsea away and the Matt Green goal will live with me for a long time...then his team followed up that game by claiming the last victory he would oversee. The FL team of the week award he got was richly deserved

"In Jolley we trust" was something I bought into.... maybe I was looking through Black & White specs but I still believe there was better to come.

We'll never know of course but for all those who wanted him on his way, as they say, just be careful what you wish for

UTM GTID ATAW

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 32
Les Brechin
November 15, 2019, 3:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from gaz57
Thanks Micheal Jolly for turning things around, I thank you for what you have done and wish you had a little more time.
Wishing you good look for the future unless you play against us of course.  UTM

I can't see him pulling his boots on in the future!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
arryarryarry
November 15, 2019, 3:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from gaz57
Thanks Micheal Jolly for turning things around, I thank you for what you have done and wish you had a little more time.
Wishing you good look for the future unless you play against us of course.  UTM

Had he turned it round that much. I thought his record of winning points was similar to Russell Slade.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
MuddyWaters
November 15, 2019, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Will always appreciate him keeping us up and away days at Palace & Chelsea but, in reality, the promised development hasn't happened and the seeming improvement in the squad hasn't brought the results that threatened.

I can't put my finger on what might have happened but I'm sure we'll soon find out. He hasn't been the club's best manager but he certainly hasn't been the worst.

Wish him well for the future.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
horsforthmariner
November 15, 2019, 4:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,606
Gold Stars: 9
We would be in the national league (probably North) if it wasn't for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
CodHead
November 15, 2019, 4:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Thank you Michael
Harsh sacking imo
But that’s the football world
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
moosey_club
November 15, 2019, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
For giving youth a chance.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
EY Mariner
November 15, 2019, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Michael Jolley's achievement of keeping us up in 2017-18 cannot, in my opinion, be overstated. When he took over, we looked like a dead team walking. We had done for months. To turn it round from the position we were in deserves enormous credit and continuing gratitude from all associated with our club. Had we gone back into non-league football again, I dread to think what the consequences might have been.

On a more personal note, some of the football I've seen from us in the past year or so (the 5-2 against Tranmere, the Palace cup game and others) have been a source of real comfort to me during some very difficult times. For that, I will always be grateful to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley Appreciation Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.