Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So who do we want
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 169 Guests

So who do we want

This thread currently has 35,567 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Posh Harry
November 16, 2019, 7:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Davec
Forgive me for being thick but I'm seeing Jones mentioned, who is Jones? No suitable manager named Jones springs to mind unless I am missing somebody obvious?

Nathan Jones, ex Luton and stoke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 215
Northbank Mariner
November 16, 2019, 8:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Davec
Forgive me for being thick but I'm seeing Jones mentioned, who is Jones? No suitable manager named Jones springs to mind unless I am missing somebody obvious?

Nathan Jones, that's who they're talking about Dave
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 215
Malta_Mariner_90
November 16, 2019, 8:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from fiveallive
I can't believe no one has mentioned David Flitcroft.

He has done alright statistically as a manager and I believe his teams try and play football.

However he has left all the clubs he has done under a cloud and usually to the jeers of the fans. You also have to consider that he was bankrolled to the heavens at Bury (hence their demise), was about as popular as Fenty is on here at Swindon and should have got Mansfield promoted easily only to somehow lead his team on a terrible run at the back end of last season.

Still has considerably more on his CV than our previous three managers (i.e a promotion! Bignot, Slade, Jolley) but I think he needs lots of money to have a chance of being a success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 215
OllieGTFC
November 16, 2019, 9:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Get Roy Keane in he might even get rid of Fenty aswell

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 215
ROKERITE
November 16, 2019, 9:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’d quite like us to have a conversation with Kevin Phillips who’s coaching at Sunderland. Recently overlooked for their managers job due to the fact he lacks experience so he could be interested. He’s certainly a big name in the game so should command respect in both the dressing room and stands, and has also done the rounds as a coach with Sunderland and Derby learning off some experienced managers. Could just be the opportunity he’s looking for.

SuperKev isn't coaching here, he's currently unemployed apart from some media work as far as I'm aware. He was very keen on the manager's job which went to Parkinson last month. Many Sunderland supporters wanted Phillips to get the job though I wasn't one of them.
Kevin Phillips was one of the best players I ever saw play for us but he's had no official connection to the club since we sold him to Southampton in 2003. You're correct in saying Grimsby Town could be the opportunity he's looking for. How good he'd be is impossible to predict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 215
Davec
November 16, 2019, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Oh Nathan Jones yes of course, how didn't I think of him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 215
November 16, 2019, 10:08am
Guest User
So, looking back over the past 25 years or so and putting aside the questionable ability at board level.  Is it not the case that we’ve had 3 periods of relative success and on each occasion, with an ex non-league manager at the helm?  That therefore looks to be the natural choice?

I'm struggling to see where the funds for an established league manager, with any sort of recent success will come from.  There’s an ongoing policy of ‘investment clawback’ going on at the Club with no indication that the major shareholder will do the honourable thing when concluded.

Any chance of success in the foreseeable future is likely to be through a lucky cup draw or an even luckier appointment of someone who can do something with nothing.  It certainly won’t happen through ambition, investment and sound leadership.  I pray for one last period of success during whatever’s left of my life, at present that seems a forlorn hope and I turned 58 this year.....
Reply: 116 - 215
ROKERITE
November 16, 2019, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Ipswin

Many on here agreed with Fenty's decision to appoint Jolley (together with the fact that he was so cheap he'd probably have paid us for the chance) and if anything the inexplicable torrent of support on here for Jolley probably persuaded Fenty as he saw it as a chance to show a) he listened and b) when it went mammaries up (as it was sure to do) it wasn't all his fault

It was more than agreeing with Fenty's decision, it was the supporters leading the call for Jolley to get the job. The short video of MJ explaining his tactics in a match in Sweden made a big impression. How keen Fenty ever was on Jolley is questionable. Over the years I've followed Grimsby's progress it has been Fenty's refusal to sack a manager, till months after it was obvious to everyone else how useless he was, that has been the constant factor. The decision to part company so soon with Jolley suggests he was never really Fenty's choice.
I thought MJ was an exciting, interesting and popular appointment. There was nothing certain about it failing to work out. I don't think this is the end of his career in football management. I hope it's not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 215
fishboyUTM
November 16, 2019, 10:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Paul Heckingbottom, young at 42 so not jaded, managed over 150 games at bigger clubs, Hibernian, Leeds and did a terrific job at Barnsley. He's played and managed relatively locally, will have local contacts. Maybe location would help us on this occasion. He's available as well, his number two has been Robbie Stockdale who knows the club (that may not help lol).

Or is he an over ambitious target?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 215
AdamHaddock
November 16, 2019, 10:35am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Stendel or Jones would be very good appointments and a statement of intent.

Sadly knowing this club we'll probably end up with the likes of Wilcox or Hignett, or an ex- town player.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So who do we want

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.