Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Football Against Facism

This thread currently has 28,410 views. Print
33 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 14, 2019, 11:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265

You would deny free speech?

You are missing the point. Yes the BNP are entitled to stand and Express their views (within the law obviously) but that doesn't mean you want your business/community/ club to be associated with them. It's just not a good look for a club that's keen to shake off  it's old reputation and become an inclusive community club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 320
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 11:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from forza ivano

You are missing the point. Yes the BNP are entitled to stand and Express their views (within the law obviously) but that doesn't mean you want your business/community/ club to be associated with them. It's just not a good look for a club that's keen to shake off  it's old reputation and become an inclusive community club

Exactly.
Which is the whole point of this discussion.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 320
Chrisblor
November 14, 2019, 11:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233

You would deny free speech?

You're conflating free speech with the right to say whatever you like without other people being offended by it. They're not the same thing. Farage is free to go around demonising migrants, but people are also free to take and air their offence with his views. Just log off, you're making yourself look like a mug.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 320
Bigdog
November 14, 2019, 11:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
To be fair I don't think it's wise for the club to rent out a room to any political party whether in an election or otherwise. The level of income gained from it would be insignificant enough to not make a valid commercial reason to do so. Poorly thought through and divisive decision by the club imho..

Though I seem to remember at the last general election that the gtfc hashtag got hijacked on Twitter by the Labour Party and its supporters as well as Corbyn flags at some of our games, but I guess it's ok for some to mix GTFC with politics as long as the colour is red. No better than the club in that regard..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 320
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 11:46pm
Champagne Drinker

But would you deny free speech, one of the fundamental cornerstones of the British political system?

The question was around those groups been associated with club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2019, 11:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano

I never said anything about the BNP, apart from their right to free speech. This argument is about the Brexit party, a party that won the last UK wide election and has been unfairly  vilified on  here as some extreme racist party who should not be allowed the same courtesy as the Labour party or any other party.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 320
Perkins
November 14, 2019, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Given that the guy has an ego the size of the whole of Europe, it's possible he bought the shirt himself so he could hold it up in front of the media to show how the people of Grimsby loved him.
If someone bought it for him then they wasted their money cos I bet within five minutes of him leaving BP it was in a council bin because he doesn't give a sh.t about this  town or it's people. Self serving tw@t.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2019, 11:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Chrisblor

You're conflating free speech with the right to say whatever you like without other people being offended by it. They're not the same thing. Farage is free to go around demonising migrants, but people are also free to take and air their offence with his views. Just log off, you're making yourself look like a mug.

That is the second time this evening you have resorted to insults, and it is not a good look.

You are entitled to your view as I am entitled to mine.

Edit. To be fair I did call Stadium pathetic which was a mistake. Wrong would have been better.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 320
Stadium
November 14, 2019, 11:50pm
Champagne Drinker

I never said anything about the BNP, apart from their right to free speech. This argument is about the Brexit party, a party that won the last UK wide election and has been unfairly  vilified on  here as some extreme racist party who should not be allowed the same courtesy as the Labour party or any other party.

Chill out Nige.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 320
forza ivano
November 14, 2019, 11:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265

But it was you that mixed up the 2 things by misunderstanding the point ,and thinking it was about denying free speech which was never the argument. I have already given you 2 easy examples of the sort of people who were part of the party and I'm pretty sure there will be many more examples, without even mentioning that infamous billboard

Ps I'd be equally as dismayed if it was Ken Livingstone or George Galloway pulling a similar stunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 320
33 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.