Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Football Against Facism

This thread currently has 28,301 views. Print
33 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
November 18, 2019, 4:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer

No it hasn't:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

Non-EU migration which we have complete control over has always been higher than from EU countries, generally much higher.

What is most noticeable about the referendum vote is that the areas with the highest proportion of leave voters are also those with some of the lowest proportions of actual immigrants. It's not immigration that's the problem. It's the fear of it, hence the banal scare stories beloved by the most fervent Brexiteers.

What about Boston then or is that an anomaly?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 320
Chrisblor
November 18, 2019, 4:07pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,760
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from rancido

I only used Bulgaria as an example because I have visited there more times than any other EU country in the last 10 years. How about immigrants from Poland, Romania , Lithuania, Latvia and Hungary? Why do so many of them come here if their economies are thriving ? It can't be for the weather or political freedom. Do more of them speak English than say Germans or French? You say the fact that we are flooded with EU immigrants who are draining our resources is utter balderdash but how many EU nationals from the countries I quoted are there and what plans were put in place to accommodate such a large influx of unforeseen immigrants?

I refer you to this excellent reply:

Quoted from Maringer

No it hasn't:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

Non-EU migration which we have complete control over has always been higher than from EU countries, generally much higher.

What is most noticeable about the referendum vote is that the areas with the highest proportion of leave voters are also those with some of the lowest proportions of actual immigrants. It's not immigration that's the problem. It's the fear of it, hence the banal scare stories beloved by the most fervent Brexiteers.

The only thing i'd add to the above is that international students are still counted as non-EU immigrants in the statistics (of which there were estimated to be 217,000 arriving to the UK in 2018). The vast majority of these students leave the UK at the end of their course, so really shouldn't be treated as permanently settled immigrants who according to a load of posters here apparently deprive native Britons of employment opportunities.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2019, 4:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from ska face
Why can’t you grasp this simple point - EU migrants contribute, on average, almost £3k per head MORE to the economy than they COST the economy. They are net CONTRIBUTORS.

So how are THEY draining resources?

This has got to be the 7th or 8th time I’ve seen this mentioned on this thread alone. Is there something you don’t understand about that?

Thats odd. I read a report that said the benefit of net migration was less than 1% of GDP on the economy. (You will have to take my word for that) and when you take into account the pressure on schools hospitals roads infrastructure and housing all it does is make a slightly larger pot accessible by millions more people.

It doesn't matter what we say really, you will never change your mind and I wont change mine. We will have to let the electorate decide.
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 320
rancido
November 18, 2019, 4:31pm

Vodka Drinker
One thing I would like to add to this debate is my personal stance on the whole immigration subject. I an neither a xenophobe or racist. However I do believe that any country has a sovereign right to control who is allowed into that country either as a permanent or temporary resident.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 320
ska face
November 18, 2019, 4:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,562
Gold Stars: 839

Thats odd. I read a report that said the benefit of net migration was less than 1% of GDP on the economy. (You will have to take my word for that) and when you take into account the pressure on schools hospitals roads infrastructure and housing all it does is make a slightly larger pot accessible by millions more people.

It doesn't matter what we say really, you will never change your mind and I wont change mine. We will have to let the electorate decide.

Do you not find your wilful ignorance embarrassing?

I’m bored to tears with you, but I beg you - read this article, it sums up the last few pages of this thread perfectly.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/migration-funding-distribution/

You don’t have to have some big public conversion to anarchosyndicalism or get a job as a case worker supporting asylum seekers, but at least do yourself the favour of not spending the next 4 weeks in abject ignorance.
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2019, 5:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from ska face

Do you not find your wilful ignorance embarrassing?

I’m bored to tears with you, but I beg you - read this article, it sums up the last few pages of this thread perfectly.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/migration-funding-distribution/

You don’t have to have some big public conversion to anarchosyndicalism or get a job as a case worker supporting asylum seekers, but at least do yourself the favour of not spending the next 4 weeks in abject ignorance.

Crikey - what brought that outburst on? You seem to find it unfathomable that people have different views to your own. As I say, we will see what the electorate decide. I don't think you will have many converts to your side though as you come across as very patronising.

I won't reply to any more of your posts on this subject, as I think we have done it do death, so you will no longer need to be bored to tears.

Goodbye and good luck.
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 320
rancido
November 18, 2019, 5:20pm

Vodka Drinker

Crikey - what brought that outburst on? You seem to find it unfathomable that people have different views to your own. As I say, we will see what the electorate decide. I don't think you will have many converts to your side though as you come across as very patronising.

I won't reply to any more of your posts on this subject, as I think we have done it do death, so you will no longer need to be bored to tears.

Goodbye and good luck.

Well said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 320
ska face
November 18, 2019, 5:27pm

Vodka Drinker

Goodbye and good luck.

We’ll need all the luck we can get with ignorant fucckers like you deciding the country’s fate. Makes me ill.

Private Message
Reply: 277 - 320
rancido
November 18, 2019, 5:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

We’ll need all the luck we can get with ignorant fucckers like you deciding the country’s fate. Makes me ill.

And that one statement takes away any level of credibility you have in this whole debate

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 320
ska face
November 18, 2019, 5:50pm

Vodka Drinker
That’s the problem - again - you don’t get to decide what is an objective fact based on whether you like the person saying it or not.

I think “debate” is stretching it a bit too...
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 320
33 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.