Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Football Against Facism

This thread currently has 28,306 views. Print
33 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
November 15, 2019, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260

Apologies for any offence caused, I thought we were debating the hypocrisy of some people who would allow one party to hold a rally but not another. If you say you would ban all parties having a meeting during an election at BP then I believe you.

I don't think that applies to other people on here though, who would be quite happy to see a Labour party meeting at BP, but not so keen on others having the same privilege.Was it the Labour party who held a rally at Blackpool FC, I wonder if there was an outcry there about that?

And yet not a single person has said they would only ban one particular party. Your argument is based on your own assumption about what others have implied.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2019, 3:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,657
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from mariner91

“Dear Mr Farage,

Thank you for your enquiry about using our function room to host a political meeting with your supporters. As a football club we try to remain politically neutral as we understand we have a wide range of political leanings from across the political spectrum amongst our fanbase. We do not wish to alienate any of our fans or be seen to be endorsing any political party.

It is therefore, with regret, that we have to reject your request to use our function room. However, we wish you the best of luck in finding another suitable venue nearby.

Yours sincerely
Grimsby Town Football Club”

That was hard wasn’t it?

If Corbyn had booked the venue, there would not have been this disquiet. That is the point.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 320
marinerdazza
November 15, 2019, 3:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81

If Corbyn had booked the venue, there would not have been this disquiet. That is the point.

You are joking, right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 320
mariner91
November 15, 2019, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Jesus wept, you are seriously dim. Most people, myself included, have said explicitly that they wouldn’t want the club to host any party or to be seen to endorse them because clubs should remain politically neutral when there’s such a diverse range of beliefs and views across the fanbase. The fact people have said that but you keep making the same inane, unfounded arguments anyway says a lot more about you than it does about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 320
Chrisblor
November 15, 2019, 4:01pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine Corbyn is nominally an Arsenal fan (as you'd expect from somebody who has lived in Islington for decades) but my guess is that he's really not that bothered about football. Having to attend matches at a weekend would get in the way of all sorts of protests and marches. Not a Cameron type who was so stupid, he forgot he should be pretending to support Villa instead of West Ham.

Comes across as a proper supporter in this piece on Labour's policies towards football club ownership and ticket pricing (copy German fan ownership model, increase the amount of TV money invested in grass-roots & lower league football, two fan directors on the board of every club etc) - https://www.theguardian.com/po.....ns-in-premier-league

I'm yet to hear any proposals from the Tories on football. I don't think anyone from across the entire political spectrum can suggest the current status quo, where the Premier League clubs rake in hundreds of millions each year while it becomes ever more expensive and difficult for lower league and grassroots football teams to stay afloat, can continue for much longer.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 320
Chrisblor
November 15, 2019, 4:03pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker

There absolutely would have been. There are plenty of gtfc supporters gleefully celebrating all the 'triggered snowflakes' who are upset about Farage turning up last night. You're telling me all of those lot would simply have gone "yeah right fair enough" if Jeremy Corbyn had turned up at Blundell Park and held a town shirt up? Give over.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 320
rancido
November 15, 2019, 4:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
It's so easy for all these posters to say the club shouldn't get involved in politics but I've lost count the number of times these same sanctimonious posters have alluded to the fact that JF is a Conservative Councillor - such irony!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 320
Chrisblor
November 15, 2019, 4:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido
It's so easy for all these posters to say the club shouldn't get involved in politics but I've lost count the number of times these same sanctimonious posters have alluded to the fact that JF is a Conservative Councillor - such irony!!

Fenty has an endless list of faults, but one thing I can give him credit for is the fact he doesn't use the club as a vehicle for his own politics. He's not hosting Conservative party rallies in the ground and getting Martin Vickers to hold up a town shirt during an election campaign. So no, it isn't ironic, you're just drawing a baseless comparison.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2019, 4:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Jesus wept, you are seriously dim. Most people, myself included, have said explicitly that they wouldn’t want the club to host any party or to be seen to endorse them because clubs should remain politically neutral when there’s such a diverse range of beliefs and views across the fanbase. The fact people have said that but you keep making the same inane, unfounded arguments anyway says a lot more about you than it does about them.

You are being wise after the event. There has been the faux outrage because it is the Brexit party, it is as simple as that.
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 320
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2019, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

If you said that before Farage turned up then fair play to you.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 320
33 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Against Facism

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.