6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
November 11, 2019, 10:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from diehardmariner
It was definitely a back 3.  Cook and Gibson as wing-backs.  

Cook isn't a wide player, never mind a wing-back so he was dragged all over the shop.  Hence why Pollock was shifting across to cover.  

Is this really true? Someone said it was 4 4 2 in this or another thread? Did not see the game myself so no idea.

If it was 3 5 2 why not just stick anyone at WB Jolley. Its not like its probably the most important position in a 3 5 2 formation....

So basically after the unmitigated disaster that was Clifton at WB on the first game of last season he thought Cook of all people would be able to play there?

We have been conned...again.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
diehardmariner
November 11, 2019, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,529
Gold Stars: 536
Put it this way, if it was 4-4-2....Pollock was far too inside to be playing right-back.  Also if Whitehouse and Cook were the wingers, I don't remember them once even getting near the touchline.  In fact I can't recall Whitehouse going out wide at all.

To my eyes it was 3-5-2 which eventually became 5-3-2 with a very deep midfield and Hanson dropping in to help out at the back.  Even if it was 4-4-2 you've got players out of position.

Right back/right wing-back is unfortunate.  It's probably the one position we're adequately stocked to cover (although not convinced either Hendrie or Hewitt are wing-backs) and it's rare to have both of those players unavailable at the same time.  But to put a 17-year-old on the right of a back three, covering a striker playing as wing-back is just daft.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
ex-merseymariner
November 11, 2019, 12:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
Put it this way, if it was 4-4-2....Pollock was far too inside to be playing right-back.

Pretty sure Jolley told BBC interviewer that Pollock was at right back.

Hopefully McKeown and Hewitt back for next game, plus Wright maybe.

To me it just proves how out of favour Ring is, unless he's injured and I've missed it...

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
Posh Harry
November 12, 2019, 7:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Hagrid
Just been speaking to A fellow in the cricket club, Dave EvansX occasional referee assessor, was there yesterday watching the hame,  spoke to Mike Flynn afterwards, he said we were the worst team they’ve played this season

We were the worst team they’ve played and yet we were a goal up for much of the game and they only scored through a penalty 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
wuffing
November 12, 2019, 7:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Posh Harry

We were the worst team they’ve played and yet we were a goal up for much of the game and they only scored through a penalty 🤔

Well thats MJ'S team-talk sorted for the replay then!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
golfer
November 12, 2019, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
Reading all these posts on the formation and the positions played against Newport it is pretty clear that not many of the 2000 strong crowd knew who was supposed to be playing where. It is evidently obvious that if Jolly has devised a plan they haven't practised it on the training ground. Is there a plan,does Jolly AND his staff understand it themselves,do they instil it into the players. Are the players playing to orders instead of using their own ability for what they were signed for. Are the players scared to use invention and flair in case they upset the boss. Don't the senior players who have more experience than Jolly discuss options with him and his staff or aren't they allowed to. Jolly-matches are won and lost on the training ground so get this sorted as a priority. You have a side kick who supposedly is there to assist but if neither of you have the ability to deviate from the mish-mash that has been created then I am sorry and hope that you both find alternative employment elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2019, 10:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
Reading all these posts on the formation and the positions played against Newport it is pretty clear that not many of the 2000 strong crowd knew who was supposed to be playing where. It is evidently obvious that if Jolly has devised a plan they haven't practised it on the training ground. Is there a plan,does Jolly AND his staff understand it themselves,do they instil it into the players. Are the players playing to orders instead of using their own ability for what they were signed for. Are the players scared to use invention and flair in case they upset the boss. Don't the senior players who have more experience than Jolly discuss options with him and his staff or aren't they allowed to. Jolly-matches are won and lost on the training ground so get this sorted as a priority. You have a side kick who supposedly is there to assist but if neither of you have the ability to deviate from the mish-mash that has been created then I am sorry and hope that you both find alternative employment elsewhere.

The problem is that as a manager it is very hard to backtrack and re-boot or whatever the current jargon is. Once the players have got lost in a maze of different formations and tactics from the boss it is almost impossible for that boss to clear their minds of crap and redeem the situation. We saw this identical issue with Bignott where he lost the plot but at least he was trying to win games, not trying to not lose them!

Ironically the only recent manager to do a successful about turn on tactics and selection was Slade Mk 1. When he come from Scarborough he made that first season’s side play 3-5-2 with a bit of success but then he changed it to 5-3-2 with Reddy up front the next year and we should have gone up.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
Abdul19
November 12, 2019, 11:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,546
Gold Stars: 215
*3-4-3/3-4-1-2/3-5-2 then 4-4-2

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Mariner Timsky
November 12, 2019, 11:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Jolleys Jumble  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Malta_Mariner_90
November 12, 2019, 11:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +796
Maybe this is the master plan. If we have no idea what formation we were playing how will the oppo be able top prepare to face us?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.