This thread currently has 1,944 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
November 7, 2019, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Anybody else remember the good old Sunday breakfast outings?

When I was a member of the New Imperial Club down Grimsby Road, in the days before extended hours, we would ask a pub down the coast somewhere if they could accommodate a bus load for breakfast. They would then apply for a special opening hours licence.

We'd meet in the club for about 7.30am and head off about 9am, having quaffed liberal amounts of drink, and the cans, bottles, dominoes and cards would come on the bus with us. Breakfast would usually be the full English, with as much as you could probably eat, and then drinks up until normal opening hours, when we would head back to the club for last orders.

Great days out, and nobody has ever seemingly heard of them up here in Scotland.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
codcheeky
November 7, 2019, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Yes, great days out, something quite surreal about walking down to a pub early on a quiet Sunday morning and stepping into a packed smoky bar with everyone drinking, playing pool, darts and cards. Not a thing that happens down here in London either
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2019, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No. First I've ever heard of it. The fact it's unheard of in Scotland (surely they'd have discovered a loophole in the booze laws if anyone) suggests it was a fairly localised practice.

I could well be wrong though! It wouldn't surprise me if there were more examples. People always find a way round restrictions.

Side issue to this. I'd never seen so many pissheads in the street as in my first visit to Helsinki 18 years ago. Guys rooting through bins to collect any bottles that naive foreigners like me had put in them to collect the deposits on them. Mind you this was a part of town (Kallio) that was more like Freemo (someone even developed a version of Monopoly, 'Kalliopoly'. Pass Go, collect your 2000 Mark gyro, land on the Alko shop lose 300 Marks). They had (still have) a law which stops strong alcohol (i.e. anything above about 5%) being sold anywhere but in state-run alko shops which had limited opening hours like we had for pubs. People just stocked up on vodka when they could.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
jock dock tower
November 8, 2019, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from KingstonMariner
No. First I've ever heard of it. The fact it's unheard of in Scotland (surely they'd have discovered a loophole in the booze laws if anyone) suggests it was a fairly localised practice.

I could well be wrong though! It wouldn't surprise me if there were more examples. People always find a way round restrictions.

Side issue to this. I'd never seen so many pissheads in the street as in my first visit to Helsinki 18 years ago. Guys rooting through bins to collect any bottles that naive foreigners like me had put in them to collect the deposits on them. Mind you this was a part of town (Kallio) that was more like Freemo (someone even developed a version of Monopoly, 'Kalliopoly'. Pass Go, collect your 2000 Mark gyro, land on the Alko shop lose 300 Marks). They had (still have) a law which stops strong alcohol (i.e. anything above about 5%) being sold anywhere but in state-run alko shops which had limited opening hours like we had for pubs. People just stocked up on vodka when they could.

That's the same as Sweden. State sponsored alkies.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2019, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Social Democracy. You know it makes sense. Taken care of womb to tomb.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
grimsby pete
November 8, 2019, 11:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Never went on any breakfast outings I needed to play a footy match before I had a drink.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 1:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
When I worked in Edinburgh you could get booze all hours and the pizza places all sold it too. Can't remember if the new law had come out, if it had it was very early doors for it where nothing had really changed down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Tommy
January 12, 2020, 11:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
They still do these at the Westlands Club

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
promotion plaice
January 15, 2020, 10:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

I remember the breakfast outings well but I never managed to get up early enough to go on one because I was suffering from too much from a hangover from the night before  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
PoutonStepover
January 16, 2020, 12:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Still have the odd breakfast outing from a couple of pubs on freeman street! Mostly lads who work on the docks, but a few pub regulars too. Not been on one myself, having a business to run my phone is never off.......I couldn’t think of anything worse than having to answer it to customers after 6 pints at 10am 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.