Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 57 points?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 235 Guests

57 points?

This thread currently has 5,957 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
November 5, 2019, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
The last time we finished higher than 14th in league 2 was 2006.  So if we finish in the top half of the league then that is progress.

I’d love us to make the top 7 and I’m sure Jolley would like to too.

However, would finishing mid table be a disaster? Not really

The bookies had us as a relegation contender this season.

The club is financially stable and living within its means.  If it can do that and make steady progress up the division and eventually be contenders for League 1, then I’m happy with that.  

I don’t want someone pumping money into the club and then pulling the plug and potentially killing the club.  Build a foundation, invest in youth, strengthen the connections with the local community.  That’s what I want to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
GollyGTFC
November 5, 2019, 5:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I'm sick to death of Michael Jolley. He's taking us backwards. He deserves a lot more flak than he's received for our abject results for much of his reign.

In the calendar year 2018 his league record was...

P 35
W 14 (40%)
D 7
L 14 (40%)
GD -3
Pts 49 (1.4 pts/game)

And his record in 2019...

P 36
W 11 (30.6%)
D 8
L 17 (47.2%)
GD -9
Pts 41 (1.14 pts/game)

A clear and worrying decline since the start of this calendar year.

And it's worth pointing out that every player at the end of the January transfer window was either signed by Jolley or was given a contract extension by Jolley. In other words they are all his players.

I've said this before, but we're just under 6 months from the end of the season. He's on a 6 month rolling contract. Now would be the perfect time to give him his 6 month notice.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 37
fishboyUTM
November 5, 2019, 5:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
I share you concerns regarding the manager. He is doing a poor job in my opinion and his performance should be monitored upstairs.

However, I don’t think you could give him his notice. The players would lose all focus, as would the future plans of the manager. The club would be in limbo. I’m not sure it even works that way, I think you’d have to dismiss him immediately and pay him six months basic wage.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, but I’m tired of these pathetic losing or winless streaks, his style of football is a disgrace as well. I’m all for mixing it up but many gameplans wouldn’t have looked out of place in the Slade era. And for a man as qualified as he is in football management, I find that bewildering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
GollyGTFC
November 5, 2019, 5:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I share you concerns regarding the manager. He Is doing a poor job in my opinion and his performance should be monitored upstairs.

However, I don’t think you could give him his notice. The players would lose all focus, as would the future plans of the manager. The club would be in limbo. I’m not sure it even works that way, I think you’d have to dismiss him immediately and pay him six months basic wage.

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, but I’m tired of these pathetic losing or winless streaks, his style of football is a disgrace as well. I’m all for mixing it up but many gameplans wouldn’t have looked out of place in the Slade era. And for a man as qualified as he is in football management, I find that bewildering.

Exeter did the same thing with Paul Tisdale in November 2017. At the end of the season (after they lost the Play-off Final) he joined MK Dons.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2019, 6:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I share your concerns regarding the manager. He is doing a poor job in my opinion and his performance should be monitored upstairs.

More likely the club would be in Limbrick?

These two are probably the most highly qualified managers we have ever had. They certainly can talk a good game, pity the practical doesn’t seem to live up to the theory.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Northbank Mariner
November 5, 2019, 6:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I share your concerns regarding the manager. He is doing a poor job in my opinion and his performance should be monitored upstairs.

To be honest I think the players have already lost their focus, probably p!ssed off with his constant tinkering, swapping out of players, deconstructing the best team we've had out all season(Exeter) and the fact that he WILL not learn from his mistakes...
Afraid I'm with Golly now, his time is done for me, playing style is non existent and he's appearing tactically inept...
Galls me saying that because I really wanted MJ to be a shining light for young, hungry English managers who were prepared to start at the bottom and work their way through the ranks but as far as I can see that at this moment in time he's only working his way into non-league with GTFC and I want better for my beloved club .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
MarinerDevil
November 5, 2019, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,715
Gold Stars: 80
Just for reference, where does everyone think our par for the course is?  League One?  While that might have been true 20/25 years ago, it certainly isn't now.  In terms of budget, infrastructure and general 21st-century-worthiness, we are firmly mid-table League 2.  I think it's therefore unfair to criticise any manager who fails to single-handedly drag us back to where we believe we should be, despite their perceived shortcomings.

I admit that I never saw the glory days and may be naturally resigned to seeing us scrap around in tiers 4 and 5.  The best things I've seen Town do are beat Burnley 6-5, embarrass Spurs and finally win at Wembley in 2016, but these pale in comparison to what most people on here (I presume you're all ancient) witnessed.  

I just think that, while we are currently floating along without sign of financial peril, we aren't too far away from trouble should we gamble without success, especially as we might be taking on the enormous risk of financing a new stadium at some point in the next 1000 years.  But promotions and relegations are much more exciting I suppose.  

We just need new impetus.  Simple as that.  But I believe in Jolley to build us something that can sustain, it's just whether we can as fans can stomach more boredom until then.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
TownSNAFU5
November 5, 2019, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42
We were one off the favourites with the bookies for relegation.  As things stand there is still a risk of this happening.  The 2 games in hand are quite crucial if we are to move away from the bottom.

We need to review where we stand about new year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2019, 8:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Just for reference, where does everyone think our par for the course is?  League One?  While that might have been true 20/25 years ago, it certainly isn't now.  In terms of budget, infrastructure and general 21st-century-worthiness, we are firmly mid-table League 2.  I think it's therefore unfair to criticise any manager who fails to single-handedly drag us back to where we believe we should be, despite their perceived shortcomings.

We just need new impetus.  Simple as that.  But I believe in Jolley to build us something that can sustain, it's just whether we can as fans can stomach more boredom until then.

But what about the clubs in the Championship and L1 now? Where were they 25 years ago. There's a good few, Lincoln being one, Wycombe being another, Hull another, Rotherham another ........ that in terms of budget, infrastructure etc, were a long way off where they are now and probably never dreamt it. Where were we when Buckley Mk1 started? You have to start from somewhere and you have to move up rapidly or you don't move at all, unless it's down. This slowly, slowly building is a false economy, in football you have to speculate to accumulate at least a bit and you have to be prepared to take risks as an owner and as a manager.

Jolley is gradually turning into Hurst Mk2 and I think he is more interested in his own future than getting the team moving. The two things should be linked as they were with Buckley, the Cowleys etc. but sometimes managers get on in the game on the back of perceived potential. At the moment that is all Jolley has - potential, nothing else.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
Heisenberg
November 5, 2019, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,963
Gold Stars: 93
As things stand and considering current form, I’d love to know where we’re getting 57 points from.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 57 points?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.