Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 57 points?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

57 points?

This thread currently has 5,916 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2019, 12:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
This is apparently Mr Jolley’s target as he seeks year on year improvement. A team “pushing up towards the top end of the table” is his aim.

[url] https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/grimsby-town-league-two-jolley-3503193[/url]

Now, I know we should take the GT stuff with a very large barrel of salt but is this really what we can expect? A slog up to 57 points and a spot somewhere near upper mid-table. Not even aiming for the play-offs now then?

I have little time for JF but I would not blame him if he was somewhat annoyed by this lukewarm ambition for the season when the manager has been given a pretty reasonably budget and it is only November.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
marinerdazza
November 5, 2019, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Given how strong the league looked before the start of the season, I'd have taken 57 points. I still would.

It's going to take some time to turn this oil tanker of a club around. Incremental progress after years of non-league and a very near return to it will do me.

Patience is required. There isn't a quick fix. And I don't remember anyone predicting we'd be anywhere near promotion this season.

Next season is a different matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2019, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
This is apparently Mr Jolley’s target as he seeks year on year improvement. A team “pushing up towards the top end of the table” is his aim.

[url] https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/grimsby-town-league-two-jolley-3503193[/url]

Now, I know we should take the GT stuff with a very large barrel of salt but is this really what we can expect? A slog up to 57 points and a spot somewhere near upper mid-table. Not even aiming for the play-offs now then?

I have little time for JF but I would not blame him if he was somewhat annoyed by this lukewarm ambition for the season when the manager has been given a pretty reasonably budget and it is only November.

The whole club lacks ambition from top to bottom. No desire or vision, no ability to change anything.

Unless we get new owners nothing will change, as everybody takes their lead from the man at the top.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
diehardmariner
November 5, 2019, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
In fairness to Jolley, you've quite creatively paraphrased him there.  I suppose it is election season after all.  

He's said he wants to improve on the 56 points from last season and have a team pushing to the top end of the division.  That's pretty much the textbook answer.  Very few will come out and say they expect to be at the top end or battling against the drop.  I just read it as another answer from Jolley where he doesn't really answer anything.

With regards the budget - is it reasonable?  I know Hanson and Green will have commanded decent figures in their past but both came here after disappointing spells previous.  Same for Ogbu actually.  We also offloaded a fair chunk of high earners in the summer.  Despite Fenty suggesting that he reflected that the budget wasn't competitive enough last season, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same this season.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
marinerdazza
November 5, 2019, 1:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Why have I got Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet show in my head?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2019, 2:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Same old, same old though isn’t it? Have patience, Rome wasn’t built ..... etc..... etc.

We all know it is a textbook sidestep answer.. we all know it is hard to find something positive to talk about after 2 blank weeks. But really, what an uninspiring bit of media flannel this is. We need some enthusiasm and drive, like we were promised by this new broom not a miserable anodyne low target of the Hurst variety.

I am hoping for a decent cup run because it does not look as though there is much other excitement on its way.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
marinerdazza
November 5, 2019, 2:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
If he was brimming with enthusiasm, I've no doubt someone would be on here criticising him and asking what on earth he'd got to be enthusiastic about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
fishboyUTM
November 5, 2019, 2:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Personally, I've been patient enough. We've been to hell and back, the unthinkable actually happened and almost repeated a couple of seasons ago. Mid table in division 4 / League 2 is absolutely unacceptable. We should be looking at the play offs as the minimum. Anything less is abject failure. We are a good sized club at this level, the reign of John Fenty has meant many of this clubs fans, partiicularly in their teens / twenties / even early thirties now have seen nothing but shite and they think that's the norm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
November 5, 2019, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Personally, I've been patient enough. We've been to hell and back, the unthinkable actually happened and almost repeated a couple of seasons ago. Mid table in division 4 / League 2 is absolutely unacceptable. We should be looking at the play offs as the minimum. Anything less is abject failure. We are a good sized club at this level, the reign of John Fenty has meant many of this clubs fans, partiicularly in their teens / twenties / even early thirties now have seen nothing but shite and they think that's the norm.

How can anybody can disagree with that assessment? Some do - clinging on to a belief that it will all come right.

Football has changed hugley since our time in the sun, and the club has fallen behind.

It needs a re-boot. Fenty has tried a re-boot may times by changing the manager but has yet to cotton on to the fact that he is the one that needs changing.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
FishOutOfWater
November 5, 2019, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Paraphrased it for you.... but then again there is that old counter argument that without him, would there even be a GTFC?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 57 points?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.