Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gordon Walker- Golden Oldie Post!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 299 Guests

Gordon Walker- Golden Oldie Post!

This thread currently has 1,513 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Epworth Mariner
November 4, 2019, 7:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Following up from my first post.......Gordon Walker obviously was better than I thought!

Speaking of flashes in the pan, a Cod Almighty reader wrote to me last week to tell me that he used to work with one of my all-time favourite Town players: Gordon Walker. Mark Fenton tells me that after leaving Town, Gordon returned to Northern Premier League football and scored shedloads of goals for Stocksbridge Park Steels. Mark tells me that he and Gordon worked as posties together for about seven years, during which Gordon gained weight at an impressive rate. Gordon arrived on the Town scene, you may recall, in the '68-69 season, as a non-league signing to replace Town star Doug Collins, who was sold for (deep breath) £27,000. Gordon was a very big lad (think like Tony Crane size and shape) who somehow managed about four goals in his first five games. Then (and I can't be arsed to check my facts here), he 'never scored again', becoming an ironic hero for those of us standing in the open corner 'twixt the Pontoon and Barrett stands. Happy days.

I must admit i thought he was crap......but Bob Kennedy ......remember him thought he walked on water!
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
November 4, 2019, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I remember him! He was the tallest player in the league, and use to stand next to Diddy Dave Boylen at kick off. There was at least two foot in height between them. It was so funny.

There must be a photo of them somewhere out there, if so, could you please post it on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
arryarryarry
November 4, 2019, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I always thought Gordon Walker was tall and thin I didn't think he was a fat bottom like Crane.

Perhaps my memory is failing me
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
mimma
November 4, 2019, 9:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I seem to think he's was quite muscular but not fat. A lumbering giant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
grimsby pete
November 4, 2019, 10:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
He was 6ft 7in. and could not jump to head a ball but surprisingly was good with the ball at his feet.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
November 4, 2019, 10:28pm
Guest User
Played 20 scored 5. I seem to remember a national paper doing a piece on Walker and Sir Dave Boylen.
I think Dave was 5ft 3in and Gordon was 6ft 4in. The shortest and tallest in the League.
Reply: 5 - 6
November 4, 2019, 10:34pm
Guest User
This may interest those who wonder about tallest and shortest.
http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/the-tall-and-the-short-of-it/
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gordon Walker- Golden Oldie Post!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.